Fishing Pliers/multi tools

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
Fishfood
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Profisha 525
VHF Call Sign: ZMX9388

Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:39 pm

Hi Fellow Fishianados,
have been struggling for some time with budget multi-tool plier thingies on my kayak. Basically lost the first pair overboard early on so was reluctant to spend much on replacements. However, what you pay is pretty much what you get in pliers as in all things so I'm thinking I can probably manage not to drop another pair overboard but now want to know if anyone has an opinion regarding these handy little tools. Reviewing past performances I guess all I need is something to cut braid and flouro/mono, something to hold or remove hooks, and something to open split rings would be handy. Dont want to spend a fortune for 17 different gizmos ( dont need the thing to remove stones from horses hooves or the cross cut saw attachment). Any comments?

JohnnyR
Kayak Make: Prowler
Kayak Model: 13

Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:39 pm

I carry a sharp knife and a long stemmed pair of pliers to remove hooks. I seem to manage to do everything I need to do with these.

AndrewRawlingson

Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:17 pm

I carry a few things on/in my PFD:

- Braid snips
- Hook sharpener
- Hook remover (great for barracouta and other undesirables)
- Long nose pliers (no split ring thingie)
- Safety knife

It sounds like a lot of junk to carry, but it all gets tucked away and I wouldn't be without any of it. As for split ring pliers, I keep some in the garage and they are very useful. Would I want to be messing around split rings on a kayak? No.

Casualtyward
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3 Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMU7778

Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:08 am

I have a couple of tools, though one would probably suffice. I have a pair of the Ocean Angler mini pliers. They're marine aluminium so they don't rust, they have a braid cutter, and a split ring opener. They also come in a pouch with a curly spring lanyard so they're harder to throw overboard. I have no idea what they cost though - I got them free for attending a Mark Kitteridge softbaiting talk (I could look it up, but its no fun if I do all the work).

I also have a pair of budget cheap and nasty folding Chinese 'fishing' pliers that someone gave me years ago as a novelty and I love them. My favourite thing about them, and the only thing my other pliers don't do, is they have both a narrow blade and an awl spike that I can use as an iki spike. They fold away so they're reasonably compact, and the spikes are hidden inside the body like a pocket knife so I don't accidentally stab myself when they aren't in use. They're getting a bit rusty, but I keep spraying them with Inox and massaging them back to life.

If someone could build a folding spike into a set of small aluminium pliers, I'd be sold!
Kotare II
Ocean Prowler 4.3 Ultra

Callsign: ZMU7778

AndrewRawlingson

Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:18 pm

Just to add to the discussion, this is my hook remover, it has an iki spike built in to the handle. I used to use the spike all the time, but I prefer a knife now. Better handle and the wider blade is more forgiving of a slightly inaccurate iki. As I said in my previous post, the hook remover is awesome for toothy critters and other fish you want to release without removing from the water.

dedant
Kayak Make: Stealth-less
Kayak Model: Pending
VHF Call Sign: ZMU5052

Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:37 am

I used the Catch brand pliers for a while, they lost the split ring part ( it just sort of got misshaped)
Won in a spot prize some Edge brand, much nicer.
Great when using kabura/slider or lucanus type things with the small assist hooks. Also releasing off jig heads whilst the fish is still in the water.
Attachments
FEE8EF07-FED8-437A-B114-956B74AF0EF2.jpeg

Glass is Class.. dedant

dedant
Kayak Make: Stealth-less
Kayak Model: Pending
VHF Call Sign: ZMU5052

Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:40 am

Everything needed either in or on the hatch. Line clippers in pfd pocket. I also carry when softbaiting and micro jigs, small extra split ring pliers, braid scissors as back up and a knife on my pfd
Attachments
BBD9BA63-48BF-482E-A4C0-6295BFD8DD10.jpeg

Glass is Class.. dedant

Fishfood

Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:16 am

Thanks for all your suggestions, have basically gone through and super simplified. Made a workable iki from an old screw driver ( it has a very good handle), a bait knife that straps on my leg and a small pair of long nosed pliers that also cut braid very well. The next thing on the evaluation list is my lip gripper. I take it every time but seldom use it. It sits in my tackle box and gets cleaned and oiled when I get home and that's about it. Maybe I need to catch bigger fish.

AndrewRawlingson

Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:47 am

Funny thing is the big old girls can usually be grabbed by the tail without too much drama and are generally well behaved. It's the feisty 45cm pannies that spike me every time :D

Fishfood

Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:28 pm

Exactly. Apart from my very first few fish I mostly find them ok to handle. The Stealth makes it simple cause I can drop them into the center hatch. Still, the lipgripper looks so dam useful I just can't leave it behind.

• Information