chill pod lid

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
matwould
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish GT

Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:02 am

Hi All,

Had a brief look for other threads and found one but I don't know how many people check that thread.

I have just bought some expanding foam for a small job inside my house. I saw something a little while ago about people putting foam inside the lid of their chill pod for a bit of added insulation. They said this worked well and the pics I saw looked very clean and tidy. Seeing as i'll have some spare foam after completing this small job on my house I figured i would do this to my lid too. Also, they may have added a rubber seal around the inside of the lid too to make it air tight. I'd be looking into this too. Any help appreciated.

Any tips on this process?

Where to drill holes?

How many holes to drill?

Multiple applications a bit at a time or all at once? (if i do it all at once and i accidentally put too much in, will it push out the surfaces making a fat lid or will the excess just come out the holes so then i can easily scrape off?)

How to seal it off / with what product?

Cheers!

B0ydie
Kayak Make: stealth
Kayak Model: Profisha 460
VHF Call Sign: ZMW7673

Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:18 am

Working in the construction industry and having dealt with expanding foam a fair bit I suggest you do it in stages as you mentioned if it over fills I would imagine it would blow up like a beach ball you won't know you have over filled it for a couple of days as the holes will cure first and seal it up and the inside will take longer to cure and keep expanding hope this helps
good luck

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Profish 400

SitDown
Kayak Make: reload

Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:21 pm

if its the expanding foam like I think it is, be careful
we used to foam up custom made stainless fridges, they would bow out the sides even when stiffened up with 4 x 2's & angle iron
also check if the foam is compatible with the pod plastic, you don't want the foam to eat away at it

I use 3 frozen hot water bottles in my chill pod, keeps things chilled down nicely

HookiT
Kayak Model: PRO 400 LITE
VHF Call Sign: ZMQ4712

Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:41 am

Expanding foam, good read . Traps for the home handy man for sure. Sort of retired my chill pod in favour of Tagit insulated bag, from Rob Fort stable. Bag sits nice and flat , wind no problem, it all helps. a couple of hottie bottles from the red shed filled and in freezer do not over fill , they sit flat and last a fair while, they do the job well.

DocProfit
Kayak Model: Reload

Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:36 pm

One of the biggest problems with the pod is that it's not air tight which lets the cold escape.

Go to a Hardware store and get some draft stopper (about $15).

Makes a real difference.
Attachments
P80212-194131.jpg

JustinZA
Kayak Model: Profish 400

Sat May 11, 2019 7:50 am

Draft stopper looks like a good idea

• Information