Flags- laws/by-laws or just good practice?

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
Casualtyward
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3 Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMU7778

Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:47 am

Mac50L wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:36 am
There is mention of the Auckland Regional Council Navigation Safety Bylaw 2008 on the KASK website. This is what is there plus comments, which might be worth considering.

ARC Bylaw ~ Visibility of kayaks and paddle craft
Effective from 1 July 2008

Clause 2.17 Auckland Regional Council Navigation Safety Bylaw 2008

1. Every kayak and paddle craft that is navigating in waters beyond 200 metres from shore shall ensure they are highly visible to other vessels. This shall include:

(a) wearing a high visibility vest or high visibility PFD; and

(b) use of reflecting tape on oars or paddles and also on clothing; and

(c) at night, showing a continuous white light visible in all directions from a distance of two nautical miles.

Comments –

(a) Black was found, over 60 years ago, to be the most visible colour in certain lighting conditions!
The bylaw does not state what is considered a high visibility colour.

(b) There are no specifications for size or positioning of the reflective tape!
That'd be the bylaw that was superseded by the less prescriptive 2014 Navigation Safety bylaw

33 Visibility of paddle craft
(1) A person must not operate a paddle craft of less than seven metres beyond sheltered waters
unless the person in charge of the vessel has taken steps to ensure its visibility to other
vessels.

Personally, I fish from a yellow/orange kayak, I fly a fluro orange flag and wear a shark skin top with orange sleeves. My pfd is yellow with reflector strips on it. I prefer orange to fluro yellow because I think the yellow can be hard to see against glare and light colours.
Kotare II
Ocean Prowler 4.3 Ultra

Callsign: ZMU7778

kingiFiddler
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:23 pm

Casualtyward wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:47 am

That'd be the bylaw that was superseded by the less prescriptive 2014 Navigation Safety bylaw

33 Visibility of paddle craft
(1) A person must not operate a paddle craft of less than seven metres beyond sheltered waters
unless the person in charge of the vessel has taken steps to ensure its visibility to other
vessels.
Thanks for that. Has it ever been tested in court to define what constitutes visibility? I mean, do they consider brightly coloured head-wear is making the "vessel" visible enough?

Has any paddler ever been fined under these bylaws for a poorly visible vessel (apart from no all round white light at night)?

Mac50L
Kayak Make: SeaLand
Kayak Model: Mac50L

Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:02 pm

Note my bit about black being the most visible - under certain circumstances.

I believe they find light blue very visible from aircraft!

Casualtyward
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3 Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMU7778

Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:50 pm

Mac50L wrote:

I believe they find light blue very visible from aircraft!
I did see that, but was curious what the 'certain circumstances' were. I was also wondering how that stacked up against more modern fluro colours and potentially improved optics given the research you referred to was 60 years ago when these things may not have been as common.

I believe light blue is also good for visibility in the bush.

I had a look on the Waikato Navigation Safety Bylaw (which covers the Coromandel Peninsula), but I couldn't see anything about kayak visibility (but I only had a quick squizz).
Kotare II
Ocean Prowler 4.3 Ultra

Callsign: ZMU7778

Mac50L
Kayak Make: SeaLand
Kayak Model: Mac50L

Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:27 pm

Casualtyward wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:50 pm
Mac50L wrote:
I did see that, but was curious what the 'certain circumstances' were.
A black ship (or any very dark colour) on the horizon versus a light grey one. We are seeing something against a light background in this case. Looking down at a kayak (from a higher vessel) on a darker background might not be so good. Basically nothing is perfect.

MikeAqua
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:53 am

I try to have muitiple colours if possible.

Bright green PFD (and yak) orange hat, black/orange sleeves, yellow raincoat. White paddle blades, on black shaft.

Looks like a rainbow vomitted me up but hopefully something is visible in most conditions.
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

Marc N
Kayak Make: FishMaster
Kayak Model: Elite4
VHF Call Sign: none

Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:04 am

I spoke to the Fuller's Ferry Captain again today and I asked him about Kayak visibility.

He said that normally, they see Kayak's easily, due to the Fullers' bridges, being quite high above the water.

He did say that sun can be an issue, if it's glinting off the water just where the Kayak is, but that they all are sufficiently competent to know about this.

Lights at night are a must and even tiny ones are still visible.

I asked about Kayaks vs JetSkis and he said that normally JetSkis 'announce' themselves by going round and round the ferry, so as to play in the wake.
VALKOHAI

Fishmaster Elite4 'yak
Fishing for every thing from Trout to Kingfish

• Information