Ocean Kayak Gold Rush - Coromandel - Oct 6th & 7th 2012

The Orton Events New Zealand Premier Kayak Fishing Series has five rounds of spectacular fishing located around the North Island, showing off the beautiful and rugged New Zealand coast line. Discuss the events and series in this forum
Kayak Rob
Kayak Make: Old Town & Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Predator PDL, Trident 15
VHF Call Sign: Kayak Rob or ZMS6165

Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:03 pm

Well done to all who made the effort to come along and participate in this event, each one of you deserves a prize for going out in difficult conditions to say the least. :clap:

Having kayak fished with many females on tours and personally I must say Arpie or Roberta was one very keen angler and she new her stuff. It was great to take her out prior to the Ocean Kayak Gold Rush and get her into some of our fish. Here's a couple of photos from that day including her first JD.
arp (5).jpg
arp (9).jpg
Roberta didn't even want to take a break for lunch during her first day making me bring it out. She was one tough hard core fisher chick.

Also not to be forgotten was Aileen Michael who went on the 10km paddle offshore with me on Sunday during the comp and won the woman's section. Aileen is one of the nicest ladies you will find in our sport of kayak fishing.
DSC_0175.jpg
Photo above: Justin and Aileen

Thanks for all the congrats etc on taking out the comp and believe me this was something that required a lot of effort to achieve.
10 (4).JPG
Photo above: The winning snapper.

Lastly a very big thanks to Justin for all his efforts and commitment to our sport. It is no easy feat to get something like this sorted and he has put much time and $$$$ into this with no gain financially. I challenge others to put their hands into pockets and offer some support to these events and series.
Kayak fishing is life

Rob Fort
NZ Kayak Fishing
Award winning video: https://www.youtube.com/user/NZkayakfishing
http://www.yakfishnz.com
Rob Fort Series http://robfortseries.co.nz/

Old Town, Ocean Kayak & Humminbird Pro Team member, supported by: Sharkskin, Maxel, Jigstar, Gamakatsu, Abu Garcia, Berkley, Salt A-Way, NZ Bay Fisher, Neptune, Pelaj, Railblaza, Zest

nzimp
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 495

Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:41 pm

Awesome stuff Rob. Was great meeting Arpie. She was a great sport and a credit to Aussie kayak fishers.
Simple is as simple does.
http://www.wkfc.org.nz

Stealth EVO 495
Viking 2+1
Prowler 4.7 (back in the fleet)

MadMike
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak, Stealth
Kayak Model: Ultra 4.7, Stealth EVO 495

Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:37 pm

Awesome Rob, God that Rouse fulla is gorgeous int he :D
Face book : http://www.facebook.com/TopCatchWhangarei" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Http://www.northlandangler.co.nz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stockist of, Ocean Kayaks, Old Town Kayaks, Phoenix Kayaks , Humminbird, Scotty, Rob Fort ACC and much much more!

Orty
Kayak Make: oceankayak
Kayak Model: prolwler

Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:53 pm

Hi All.

Ocean Kayak Gold Rush Results 2012

Heaviest Snapper (kg)
1 Rob Fort 10.420
2 Adrian Clark 7.435
3 Robert Wright 7.3
4 Alex Mcleod 6.450
5 Chris Rouse 6.420
6 Andrew Fletcher 6.325
7 Mark Nijssen 6.320
8 Mark Treadaway 6.290
9 Rawiri White 6.130
10 Aileen Micheal 6.110

Kahawai
1 Peter Micheal 2.225
2 Justin Orton 2.0

Trevally
1 Shane Kelly 1.770
2 Alex Mcleod 1.835

John Dory
1 Grant Montague 1.935
2 Alex Mcleod 1.835

Kingfish
1 Rob Fort 6.425
2 None Caught

Ladies Heaviest Snapper
Aileen Micheal 6.110

Indervidual Trophy
Rob Fort 19.405

Team Trophy
Salt Life
Rob Fort and Chris Rouse 30.595

Average Weight
Bam Blakie 4.310

Earlybird Draw
Steven Brunt

Minor Spot Prize( Frenzy Package)
Mathew Smith

Major Spot Prize( Malibu Two XL )
Brian Jones

I would like to thank all of the Sponsors and Contestant for supporting this event.

Cheers Orty

Hudunnit
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW4923

Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:55 pm

Thanks for all your hard work Justin, everyone had a great time.
PROFISH RELOAD
MALIBU TWO XL
ZMW4923

Nakiman
Kayak Model: Profish 440

Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:00 pm

arpie wrote:
Sat ...... couldn't catch a cold to save my life ...... then in the middle of that torrential downpour I hooked the monster from hell!!! It just took line & more line & Rob had advised me to 'enjoy the moment and let it run if it wants to .....' and then it went 'PING' & it was gone! :devil: I screamed some foul language, re-rigged & hoped his mates were still out there, but no .......
I was really pleased with the way I handled the conditions, given that I've never been in such rough (some would call it crap) conditions in my life before ...... and I was having a blast out there!! It is my intention to come back & try again ....... hopefully Taranaki ..... time & finances will tell!!
I can vouch for the foul language. I thought the weather was about to get worse, but it was only Roberta letting off steam after loosing the fish.

As Rob said, "One tough hard core fisher chick" I watched her continually battle head on into the wind :y:

If you make it over to the Naki comp, I'm sure we can put you onto some big snapper

And my name is not Stuart!!!!!!! :lol:

PB's off yak-snapper 25.29lb, shark 210cm, stingray 130cm, trevally 3.5kg, octopus 110cm, blue cod 1.1kg, Kahawai 3.35kg, gurnard 1.12 kg, crayfish 3.5kg, kingi 9.6kg, 5.2kg tuna, 1.1 kg terakihi, squid 800, JD 500m

Kingfish killer
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Ultra Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: kingfish killer

Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:11 pm

jolly dodger wrote:Great Trip weather was a bit :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: but been out in worse would like to say great meeting all you fellow yak fishers beautiful part of the country great spots but cant say i was to impressed with the competition organisation, prizes were a bit lame not a lot of joy with the kumara sorry justin true story will be fishing coromandel again but not in a ORTON event .
Like the others have already said , its only in its 2nd year , good things take time ...... and alot of money or sponsership !
You reckon the organisation was shite do you :^) i thought it was great !
Im glad you wont be attending again as you seem like a right :swear: wit !!!!

Hudunnit
Kayak Model: Profish Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW4923

Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:01 pm

Kingfish killer wrote:
jolly dodger wrote:Great Trip weather was a bit :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: but been out in worse would like to say great meeting all you fellow yak fishers beautiful part of the country great spots but cant say i was to impressed with the competition organisation, prizes were a bit lame not a lot of joy with the kumara sorry justin true story will be fishing coromandel again but not in a ORTON event .
Like the others have already said , its only in its 2nd year , good things take time ...... and alot of money or sponsership !
Hey Jolly Dodger, did you take the time to speak with the organiser and get a feel for what he is about. I did and he gets a lot of respect from me.

He puts a lot of effort into his community and loves Kayak fishing. He got 101 entries in the second year of running the comp.

If you look into the history of something like the Great Lakes Cycle challenge in Taupo the growth of that every year should indicate that good things take time to attract people and sponsorship.

Hes off to a great start and has my backing for the future. :y:
PROFISH RELOAD
MALIBU TWO XL
ZMW4923

all good
Kayak Make: pinnacle elite on the sand
Kayak Model: ultra 4.1 rock hopping
VHF Call Sign: 4.3 trident

Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:44 pm

:) hey what a great comp thanks to JUSTIN great prizes, and he did it for nothing but the love of us and kayak fishing.At this stage I would love to say what most are thinking JOLLY DODER your a twat, and got lots more, but think it's great you will not be joining as on the water agian go hard dude :lol:
Pinnacle elite
o/k ultra 4.1
4.3 trident

big blue
Kayak Make: stealth
Kayak Model: bfs

Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:17 pm

Kingfish killer wrote:

complaining about kumara, wtf, heres an idea, catch a good fish to give you a good prize!!!!!!!! o and by the way jolly doger your an arse!!!!! we wont miss you at the next comp

now a proud STEALTH bfs owner........

Kingfish killer
Kayak Model: Ultra Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: kingfish killer

Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:25 pm

big blue wrote:
Kingfish killer wrote:

complaining about kumara, wtf, heres an idea, catch a good fish to give you a good prize!!!!!!!! o and by the way jolly doger your an arse!!!!! we wont miss you at the next comp
:lol: :y:

plastic tiki
Kayak Model: Prowler 13

Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:44 pm

The comp series format allows me to go fishing with a whole heap of likeminded people, learning something new at each comp, fishing new spots and having a few lemonades after a day out on the water. Last years series was an absolutely awesome experience and i'm looking forward to the next event already.

Basically i had a blast at Coro, wind and all. Caught up with heaps of funny buggers caught some fish drank some beer, talked shite, what's not to like about that.

Cheers to Justin again :clap:

PT
The perils of kayak fishing are great...... especially for the fish!

STRAY DOG
Kayak Make: OCEAN KAYAK,viking
Kayak Model: PROWLER4.3,4.1 ,pro fish 440
VHF Call Sign: stray dog

Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:50 pm

:rock: :y: well said guys And I live in the kumara capital lol
Tri this fish and kumara chips or wedges with aioli dip :P

2can
Kayak Make: Ocean Ultra
Kayak Model: Ocean 4.3
VHF Call Sign: zms8337

Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:54 pm

Good effort Justin, from someone involed in organising events i know how much work is involed. Thanks for putting your hand up and running this series, and as this last event shows we can expect this series to carry on growing. Roll on the next events.

crabman
Kayak Model: Profish 440
VHF Call Sign: ???

Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:07 pm

WTF??? I thought this was a joke at 1st (I wasn't able to make it)

Imagine being given a bag of frozen pillies as a spot prize in a cycling event? :puke:

I think its actually quite a fair comment to make re the Kumara :!: or is there something I havent been told, maybe the new bait of the season :rofl:

Sounds like everyone had a great time catching up and sharing stories etc just a pity about the weather.

tunapete
Kayak Make: prowler/viking profish
Kayak Model: 13/440
VHF Call Sign: tunapete

Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:26 pm

Congrats again to Rob that snapper is huge man ! i am green with envy !

MadMike
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak, Stealth
Kayak Model: Ultra 4.7, Stealth EVO 495

Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:51 am

crabman wrote:WTF??? I thought this was a joke at 1st (I wasn't able to make it)

Imagine being given a bag of frozen pillies as a spot prize in a cycling event? :puke:

I think its actually quite a fair comment to make re the Kumara :!: or is there something I havent been told, maybe the new bait of the season :rofl:

Sounds like everyone had a great time catching up and sharing stories etc just a pity about the weather.
Kumera chips and fish not ring any bells? its a fun prize
Face book : http://www.facebook.com/TopCatchWhangarei" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Http://www.northlandangler.co.nz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stockist of, Ocean Kayaks, Old Town Kayaks, Phoenix Kayaks , Humminbird, Scotty, Rob Fort ACC and much much more!

arpie
Kayak Make: Hobie
Kayak Model: Sport

Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:12 pm

..........I can vouch for the foul language. I thought the weather was about to get worse, but it was only Roberta letting off steam after loosing the fish.

As Rob said, "One tough hard core fisher chick" I watched her continually battle head on into the wind

If you make it over to the Naki comp, I'm sure we can put you onto some big snapper

And my name is not Stuart!!!!!!! .......

:rofl: :rofl: About as much foul language when you realised your 'snapper' was a 'stingray', I reckon!!! Yep, the air was BLUE

:$ :$ SO sorry for calling you Stuart!!! From a distance, I was really sure it was him!! :$ :$

I'll work on coming over to the Naki comp ...... make sure you order up better weather!! :lol:

Hey Shelley - I'll read the rules better next time! :( Congrats on a top win! :clap: :clap:

It was a real honour to catch up with all you guys out on the water - specially the ones I've chatted with on the site ...... and a few legends as well ....... Steven Tapp & Rob Fort & I met Eileen as well at the prize giving - what a top femail fisho (and only half my size!!) A really top bunch of yak fishing people.

Looking forward to the next outing!

Roberta
Adventure before Dementia!

<'))))<

Hunt&gather
Kayak Model: Profish 400 Lite

Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:23 pm

I absolutely loved the comp and the weather wasn't too bad for spring. We drove 10 hours from Wellies with a trailer and fished 3 full days. The coromandel is a magic bit of New Zealand and if just being up there alongside 100 other dead keen kayak fishos in one of the most fishy, beautiful places in the country isn't enough then you need your head read. :|

Hats off to Justin, I thought things ran smoothly and everyone was friendly. He went out of his way to find accomodation for out of towners which was above what would be expected alongside running a comp. It will be an annual event for the Welly boys for sure! :rock:

This was my best fish for the weekend - putting together a video but work has me under the pump :headbang:

Viking Profish 400 Lite
Viking Profish 440 Evo IV
The mothership - Surtees 5.5 Hardtop 115 Zuki 4 stroke

Rusty
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Profisha 575
VHF Call Sign: ZMW2773

Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:36 pm

sweet nice pic :y:

im a little disappopinted as i got no kumra :lol:

awesome week end, well run, fantastic company ,

I will be back next year for sure :y:

BETTER ,FASTER ,STRONGER. (and anything else i have missed)
Everyone is a genius.

But if you judge a fish
on its ability to climb a tree.
it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.

Return to “NZ Kayak Fishing Series - Orton Events”

• Information