Kayak Pro Bridge To Cape & NZ Kayak Fishing Series Finals 2011/12

The Orton Events New Zealand Premier Kayak Fishing Series has five rounds of spectacular fishing located around the North Island, showing off the beautiful and rugged New Zealand coast line. Discuss the events and series in this forum
Milkey
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload

Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:07 am

What can I say really. A huge thanks for Justin,Rob Fort, Shamus,the sponsors and everyone else who have helped to make the first year of the Kayakfishing series a success. By the look on peoples faces I could tell I wasn't the only one a bit weary from the couple of days paddling. But the smiles, laughs and friendly banter certainly made up for any aches, pains and tiredness. Well evident in some soldiering on till 0500 or thereabouts on monday morning. You know who you are, ya bloody loud bunch :rofl:
I've had an absolute blast over the past year with the comp's and look forward to the next round. I think the few months break will be warmly received by more than a few. My brownie points account is in serious deficit so some work has to be done there.
Well done to everyone who took part in the comp. Those who fished multiple comp's, then a big round of applause to you guys/girl. A mention has to go to Peter Michael who showed his exceptional angling skill (or is the luckiest son of a gun ever :lol: ) in taking out the individual title. The plethora of big,ugly snapper you pulled out of you chilly bin at each comp was a sense of deja vu,several times over. So well done mate. And behind every good man is a good woman, good on you Ails for competing hard and picking up some prizes. Plastic Tiki for picking up 2nd placed individual, good stuff big fella.
Lastly, but not leastly to my fellow Viking Raiders Team mate, Stephen "Wanahickey" Tapp. Well done on your accolade of most fish weighed and all of the effort you have put in on and off the water. The odd morning when I've woken bleary eyed and felt a little sorry for myself you have given me the motivation to push through the lethargy,paddle ridiculous distances all in the name of "fun". You have to wonder sometimes, when you are out in the thick of it and this guy paddles past you, well coasting past being blown by 30 knots of crap, wave chop up to your arm pits, not a dry spot on you, reels washed with brine, and he has the biggest smile on his face and giggling like a girl. And then over the howling wind, swell splashing into the sides of your 'yak you hear a "Yahoo!" and look over to see his rod bent over and off on "Neptunes' Sleigh-ride".Insanity? ;) Good on ya Coach!! :clap:
https://www.youtube.com/user/MegaMilkey" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MadMike
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak, Stealth
Kayak Model: Ultra 4.7, Stealth EVO 495

Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:42 pm

Hey Guys

A Big thank you to those that came in the shop over the weekend and not only met myself and my offsider Mark but also supported us with purchases.. It's much appreciated.

I think all in all it was a great week end on and off the water. Some nice fish where caught despite the slightly hard fishing. Kudo's go out to the winning teams and personal series winners. Great effort and well deserved. Despite comments of your pending doom I wish you all good luck for the coming season and hope we can get among it a little more with from what I saw where some great guys and gals...

So once again from the Top Catch Whangarei team.
Thanks for the high level of support received. It was dully noted and hopefully we can continue to support the cause as well :D

Mike Burgin
Manager
Top Catch
Whangarei
Face book : http://www.facebook.com/TopCatchWhangarei" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Http://www.northlandangler.co.nz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stockist of, Ocean Kayaks, Old Town Kayaks, Phoenix Kayaks , Humminbird, Scotty, Rob Fort ACC and much much more!

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:46 pm

And thanks to you too Mike for putting on the space, Mark for putting in the hours and taking the photos, and also for all the prizes Mike - there were some very happy winners on Sunday night :y:
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

STRAY DOG
Kayak Make: OCEAN KAYAK,viking
Kayak Model: PROWLER4.3,4.1 ,pro fish 440
VHF Call Sign: stray dog

Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:23 pm

Thanks heaps Mike :y: :y: ps how is my man flue :lol:

Kayak Rob
Kayak Make: Old Town & Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Predator PDL, Trident 15
VHF Call Sign: Kayak Rob or ZMS6165

Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:49 pm

What a fantastic effort Justin has made with this New Zealand kayak fishing series. :y:

To all who attended it was great to catch up have more than a few :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: and so on. This has to be one of the best things to do as far as kayak fishing events the people involved are tops.

Everyone who attended this and the other individual comps as part of the series should be commended as I have said before.

I challenge those who didn't do any of this series of comps to give them a go next time! I am sure you will understand what it is that makes them so good once it has been experienced first hand. It is only with further support from entrants that this will continue, so please support the events.

Congrats again to the winners and I know those trophy's will take pride of place in your home or sponsor showroom.

Look forward to this years coming Ocean Kayak Gold Rush in October and it just so happens that the Saturday 6th October is my birthday :^:

cheers
Kayak fishing is life

Rob Fort
NZ Kayak Fishing
Award winning video: https://www.youtube.com/user/NZkayakfishing
http://www.yakfishnz.com
Rob Fort Series http://robfortseries.co.nz/

Old Town, Ocean Kayak & Humminbird Pro Team member, supported by: Sharkskin, Maxel, Jigstar, Gamakatsu, Abu Garcia, Berkley, Salt A-Way, NZ Bay Fisher, Neptune, Pelaj, Railblaza, Zest

MadMike
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak, Stealth
Kayak Model: Ultra 4.7, Stealth EVO 495

Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:38 pm

Kayak Rob wrote:
Look forward to this years coming Ocean Kayak Gold Rush in October and it just so happens that the Saturday 6th October is my birthday :^:

cheers
Oh Bugger Rob... does that mean you wont be able to remember that weekend then ?
:D how many years young will that make you?
Face book : http://www.facebook.com/TopCatchWhangarei" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Http://www.northlandangler.co.nz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stockist of, Ocean Kayaks, Old Town Kayaks, Phoenix Kayaks , Humminbird, Scotty, Rob Fort ACC and much much more!

plastic tiki
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 13

Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:48 pm

Yep , i'll echo a few of the comments .

A massive thanks for Orty, Shameless, Rob Fort, Stephen Tapp and the sponsors and everyone else involved who made this series happen. We were all a bit shattered |-) on Sunday night but soon warmed up with the local hospitaliity and a bit of lubrication :drunk: .

The past years series has been fricken awesome :rock: , i've learnt am awful lot, fished in conditions i wouldn't have otherwise and met a whole heap of good people at each event.
Big Ups to those who fished all the comp's in the series, a big personal investment for each of us but great to see the camraderie amongst this unique group of fishos.

Well done Pete :clap:, a well earned trophy for a confirmed big snapper hunter and not bad on the other species either, with Mrs Michaels not far behind. Well done Milkey on the 3rd placing, big moves made in the this comp and i honestly thought i was out of it.

Too much Viking raiders Stephen and Milkey :clap: , a huge win and none of us got close, Pete and Ails a well earned second place :y: with Rob and Rowdy third. Unfortunately my team mate buggered his shoulder and i was doing my best to keep us in the hunt on my lonesome in the last 2 comps but not to be this year :headbang: .

I'm still fizzing after this series, if you didn't fish any of the last series i strongly encourage you to think about fishing at least one of the next years comps or even better join the series. It looks like this series will evolve and improve as long as we continue to support the organisers and sponsors whenever we can.

A massive thanks to nylg1 and rayh for making the last two comps as much fun as they were, and to all you crazy bastards that were up to 4am, rock on :rock: only a few months till the next one. Lets get party central a little further away from the general public so we don't get the noise complaints.
The perils of kayak fishing are great...... especially for the fish!

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:59 am

Final results posted in the Series thread here > http://www.kayakfishingnz.com/forum/vie ... =37&t=7615" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

Jason Milne
Kayak Make: Viking Kayaks
Kayak Model: Reload, GT, 400

Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:05 pm

Video from my session with the KFDU boys at Bland Bay on the Saturday ...
Jason
jason@paddleguy.com
http://www.paddleguy.com
[http://www.youtube.com/user/paddleguyjas]
brands commercially associated with include Viking Kayaks, Railblaza & C-Tug

destin
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9308

Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:20 pm

Fantastic vid Jason as always. Love the super Low shots. :y:
Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3 ZMW9308

wet ass
Kayak Make: O K
Kayak Model: prowler ultra 4.7
VHF Call Sign: wet ass

Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:03 pm

awesome vid jase :y:
Always think like a fish no matter how weird it gets!!!

YakFisho Snapps
Kayak Model: Evolution 495,BFS..
VHF Call Sign: Yakfisho Snapps

Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:35 pm

another great vid jas and good catching up with you at the prizegiving :y:...

Kingfish killer
Kayak Model: Ultra Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: kingfish killer

Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:56 pm

Cool vid , those aussies were hardcase , we had one of them up till 4am drinking piss and talking shite !
I think he was walking sideways on the way back to his bed :drunk: :lol:

plastic tiki
Kayak Model: Prowler 13

Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:19 pm

Kingfish killer wrote:Cool vid , those aussies were hardcase , we had one of them up till 4am drinking piss and talking shite !
looked more like crawling :rofl:
The perils of kayak fishing are great...... especially for the fish!

Kingfish killer
Kayak Model: Ultra Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: kingfish killer

Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:20 pm

plastic tiki wrote:
Kingfish killer wrote:Cool vid , those aussies were hardcase , we had one of them up till 4am drinking piss and talking shite !
looked more like crawling :rofl:
He reminded me of a bigger Gollum :lol:
I was impressed he stayed up and handled the pace , they were both good buggers :y:

lenzman
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload

Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:39 pm

Cool video Jason nice editing :y:
If I'm not fishing I'm taking photographs, if I'm not taking photographs I'm fishing!!

Return to “NZ Kayak Fishing Series - Orton Events”

• Information