Bridge to Cape Kayak & Sup Winter Fishing Challenge

The Orton Events New Zealand Premier Kayak Fishing Series has five rounds of spectacular fishing located around the North Island, showing off the beautiful and rugged New Zealand coast line. Discuss the events and series in this forum
wet ass
Kayak Make: O K
Kayak Model: prowler ultra 4.7
VHF Call Sign: wet ass

Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:37 pm

sweet 1 rob :y: :y:
Always think like a fish no matter how weird it gets!!!

DJ
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra 4.7

Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:18 pm

technical wrote:All the best guys,
As I told Mark and Bryce when they picked up my trailer this morning.
"I don't want to hear stories of the ones that got away, I want photos of the ones that didn't!"
:y:
Hell yes ,,, and heave a great time ,, :beer: :beer: :y:

Hainesy
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:42 pm

[quote="DJ and heave a great time ,, :beer: :beer: :y:[/quote]

:puke: :puke: ;) ;) :lol:
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:24 pm

Orty wrote:Hi Guys, theres going to be a bit of wind this weekend so please make sure you stick to the sheltered bays and please take extreme precautions.Please use common sense as this Comp will not be cancelled.That is why we have created a big fishing area so it gives you options where to fish.
Absolutely :y: Especially under the thunderstorms that are bumbling around up here at the moment. I had to hightail it to a nearby beach when I saw a stroppy Cb heading my way this morning - glad I did, those downbursts were over 45kts, stripping the surface off the sea and pivoting my laden 4.3 about 30° on the beach!. Although most enjoyable watching it as I sat huddled in my little cave with a cup of coffee :D
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

GBC
Kayak Make: ok
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra 4.3

Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:26 pm

So how did your 4.3 go??? Did it help catch more fish or was it just another 40km paddle for something to do???
Alcohol doesnt solve any problems But ..... neither does Milk

Hairy Little Dwarf

Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:18 pm

:inlove: Cruising speed a sustained 7km/Hr and top speed a respectable 12.5km/Hr. TR now posted. :y:

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

Orty
Kayak Make: oceankayak
Kayak Model: prolwler

Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:30 am

Hi Guys so he's update of the Comp so far,

We have a 8.6kg Snapper leading the Comp at the moment with a 4.1kg in second place. So today will be very interesting of what boys bring to weigh in.Will update more this afternoon.

Cheers Orty

Hairy Little Dwarf

Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:33 pm

:rofl: I knew I should've entered - I 've got a second prize in the smoker at the moment :$
I suspect the Karikari crew may hog the leaderboard if the fishing on Friday was anything to go by. :y:

Eagerly waiting to read the TRs when the boys get online.

WaikatoYakka
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8783

Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:04 pm

I could do a trip report now or I could even start filleting fish :headbang:
Major accident 10 min south of Walkworth and at a standstill for quite some time |-)
Was an awesome weekend despite the weather. Thanks to all the organisers and sponsors.
Cobra Fish N Dive
Cobra Marauder
Ocean Kayak 4.3
Viking 400
TETRA12
Ocean Kayak4.3

RELOAD
........Such a whore

ZMT8783
Still turtle free since September '09 March 2011 :doh:

Addict since Sept '09

wet ass
Kayak Make: O K
Kayak Model: prowler ultra 4.7
VHF Call Sign: wet ass

Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:32 pm

awesome comp came 8th overall and congratulations to all of the other winners , organizers and sponsors now time for a couple of Zzzz |-)

cheers
jason
Always think like a fish no matter how weird it gets!!!

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:01 pm

Yep great comp, very well organised, weather was ok, wind sucked, and for most (me included) the fishing was hard... but great to catch up with people, will be back next year for sure, and keep us posted on Coro Orty :y:
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

Milkey

Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:13 am

Home finally. Will cover in a trip report there was a lot of detail that made for a very memorable trip. I ended up with 7th heaviest snapper. And although the Drunken Monkeys didn't place in the teams event Im sure we left an impression on everyone, literally haha :lol:
It was a pleasure meeting all those yakkers for the first time. And a big mention to those who were at Whatuwhiwhi and had the chance to get to know a little better. Great bunch of guys and some good laughs.
Did get held up with the 2, yes 2 crashes south of Warkworth. Pretty gruesome sights with mangled wreckages and although never good to see,Im glad I didnt see any of the vehicles were belonging to any of the guys traveling back.
A big thanks to all the sponsors and organising crew. I will definitely be back next year.
https://www.youtube.com/user/MegaMilkey" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

plastic tiki
Kayak Model: Prowler 13

Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:57 am

Yep, a big thanks to Justin and everyone else behind the scenes for making this one happen. It was awesome to fish somewhere new and put some faces to handles over the weekend. It was also a fun comp and catching up with old friends and making a few new ones is a big part of the enjoyment of these comps for me (and winning a prize or two doesn't hurt :y: ).

cheers all,

PT
The perils of kayak fishing are great...... especially for the fish!

rayh
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400

Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:05 am

Had a ball-even though the weather wasnt the greatest but hey-thats fishing ;)
A big thanks to the organisers and sponsers of the comp :y: :y:
I will definetly be back for next years one. :rock:
Was good to catch up with eveyone and meet a few new people 8)

YakM@
Kayak Model: 2plus1
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8934

Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:24 am

All I can say is, I got totally skunked! ;( Way too many squid around, went through a whole tub of gulp or more, got a split in my cars radiator and didnt end up going to the weigh in. Met up with Pjay and Big Blue and his mate on the water, I believe they all got fish.

Matt
M@

PB Fish = 41cm KY | 8lb4oz Snapper | 2lb Gurnard | 31cm Leather Jacket | 50cm Trevally | 65cm Kingfish

GBC
Kayak Make: ok
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra 4.3

Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:15 am

So when might we see some trip reports?????
Alcohol doesnt solve any problems But ..... neither does Milk

Hairy Little Dwarf

Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:26 am

YakM@ wrote:Way too many squid around
One of the snaps I picked up on Friday off Whatuwhiwhi had a decent squid in its gut, hood alone was 15-20cm, bit stinky though :puke:

Fish'N'Snork
Kayak Make: Cobra
Kayak Model: Marauder
VHF Call Sign: The Yak ZMW2544

Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:42 am

Totally awesome Thanks Orty :beer: Well done. Thanks Shamus ta twisting my arm in ta joining in. Didn't think I would be able due ta Friday's Night shift, But manage Couple of good days on the water and really enjoyed meeting those that turned for Sunday,s Prize giving. Shamus did an awesome job MC'ing. Thank ta all the sponsors that got behind Orty, making this a Comp well worth entering, Warren Hay Marine, Bite, Surf To Summit, Mustang Services, Seahorse, RTM, DTM, Kayakpro, Northland kayak & SUP Club, Onerahi Tavern, Onerahi Hammer Hardware, Whangarei line & light Rod Club, Blue Heron Holiday Park, and Ortons Events.
Would have loved ta go home with that RTM K LARGO that Seahorse put up. Nice looking set-up. The Dude that makes the Homemade Softies was awesome that chat with, an Free-diver himself in his younger days. Will be looking out for his Softies in KayakPro. Big Blue did well using them. It's a long time since I last went ta the Big O (Onerahi Tavern). Big thanks ta the owner for venue and the Free Sea Food Chowder.

Despite all the ribbing Big Blue got, he ended-up taking away something ta keep everyone at home happy, even a back-up for the night if he was still in the dog box with his misses thank ta Shamus's Rubber & Blowing skills :tmi: :lol: Great ta meet ya BB. Was funny having weighed in my 1kg'er ta be followed by the Drunken Monkey Dudes with their 5+Kg'ers, LOL. Awesome Dudes. Great ta meet Jason "Wet Ass" and some of the Whangarei Lot. Will have ta look out for ya Dudes and Dudettes out on the water some time.

Thanks ta Mental and KC for letting me be part of ya team. Only ended-up with one 1kg Snapper ta enter. Too bad there wasn't a "Pig-fish" prize, Ay KC, Would have done all-right on that, LOL. Caught Northland a few times, but have ta tag and release that, lol. Gave me an excuse ta get in the water ta pick up some Kina Berly, lol. The Viz was totally Awesome. Wish I'd taken the Speargun down with me on the last dip. Was a bloody big Kingie down there.
Despite my poor catch, I had a great time and meet some awesome people. Really enjoyed the Prize Giving. It was great entertainment. Even though I didn't come away with a prize, not even for the smallest Snapper Weighed in (my 1kg'er was beaten by a 0.6kg'er LOL), I did come away with a grin, and that for me made it all worth it and great value for money. For those that didn't make the effort ta be there, ya really missed out.
I look forward ta the next time.

Doug
Less Negativity And More Positive Encouragement Makes For A Better Life For All.

New Zealand......
The Best Place in the World to live if ya Broke.

"Whole life balance, Daniel-San" ("Karate Kid").

Kia kaha, kia toa, kia manawanui ( Be strong, be brave, be steadfast and sure).

Kingfish killer
Kayak Model: Ultra Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: kingfish killer

Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:21 pm

Many thanks to Justin and all the sponsers and people behind the scenes for organising this comp :y:
Shamus you did a great job as MC , very entertaining :y: That trick with the smoke still has me :^)

The fishing for me was extremely hard with only pannies caught at Matai Bay , not what i was expecting after my last visit there , but hey thats fishing !
The weather was not perfect by any means but it was fishable , the constant wind gusts made for some of the hardest paddling ive ever experienced and made fishing difficult .
Waikato Yakker and myself still had a great time as we all know a bad day fishing is a better than a good day at work ;)
It was cool to meet up with Ray H again and to finally meet up with Milkey the leader of my " 4 Drunken Monkeys " team . 8)
Had ball making sure EVERYONE had a lasting memory of the Drunken Monkeys ;) as our team leader Milkey said " good for shits and giggles " . Hope you liked the new additions to the front of your van too Milkey :lol:

See you all again next year .

Cheers kk :)

Milkey

Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:45 pm

The monkey got monkeyed!! haha. Good stuff KK :D
https://www.youtube.com/user/MegaMilkey" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “NZ Kayak Fishing Series - Orton Events”

• Information