Wondaboys in town 21 Dec till 5 Jan

Otago region discussions, for local trips, meetings etc.
Wondaboy

Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:18 pm

And bringin the Yak..... Gonna try for salmon in harbour and keen to hit the cod somewhere, anywhere if any one else is keen to hook up.

Be based in Port Chalmers.

stevegr32

Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:21 pm

Hi mate im away on a tour of the South Island from 20 December but should be back in Dunedin early Jan if you fancy a paddle. Daniel (Novex) knows some good fishing spots up near the Harbour entrance so we could all hook up and try them out if you like? There are a couple of other guys who i normally go out with, Andy and Andy in Oamaru and also Patrick in Warrington.

Steve

novex
Kayak Make: Wavedance
Kayak Model: Kingfisher

Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:40 pm

i dont know any good spots as is proven by my appalling haul (unless you like wrass) however i am always happy to try new areas and if the conditions are right i would have no issue going from aramoana out around the peninsula a ways where i hear the cods can be caught. The other option is from somewhere blackhead to brighton area and paddling out to green island.

andym (one of the oamaru andy's) was saying he will be down in dunners over that time period as well so should be available to paddle with, i am away for 4 days over new year but other than that i hope to be out as often as possible.

my trailer is looking pretty rough atm (got it to my house this morning) but i am hoping to get it from rusty frame to road certified in a couple of weeks, it might happen, and if it does it should carry 4 yaks comfortably. got most of the underside hammered and wire brushed today gonna get the wheels off tomorrow and see about new tires this coming week. also will buy some 10mm square mild steel to form the cradles from and scavenge some armaflex for padding.
anyone got any idea how the registering process works with trailers? this one is most likely fully de-registered so treat it as a fresh rego. wanna get the process under way early with the holidays coming.
Daniel
Karitane based and happy to travel a bit for some good fishing.
- 0220664711 - https://www.facebook.com/groups/dunedinkayakfishing/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

stevegr32

Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:02 am

I actually like wrass (I know im one of them weird people haha)...

Daniel: if the swell looks good next weekend and you want to go out somewhere let me know. I have a roof rack for my car which is fine for my kayak, Ive had 2 kayaks on it before and as long as there arent strong winds then its fine for short travel. if you're trailer isnt ready and you need a lift, we will strap them down well.

Maybe we could travel to Warrington and meet up with Patrick? Wouldnt feel safe travelling much further with 2 yaks.

Patrick: If your free of course?

Steve

novex
Kayak Make: Wavedance
Kayak Model: Kingfisher

Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:12 am

yep im up for that, i can always just throw kayaks in the 6x4 trailer if we need more than 2 moved, but i have also found 2 fit quite nicely on the roof bars if needed.

just thinking i might nip out to mums and get the 2nd kayak back as i have a 2nd set of these craddlesout there too if i need a 2nd yak on the bars.
Daniel
Karitane based and happy to travel a bit for some good fishing.
- 0220664711 - https://www.facebook.com/groups/dunedinkayakfishing/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

southernlipripper
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400 lite
VHF Call Sign: ZMS 5405

Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:50 pm

don't worry WB - i have a full set of GPS marks from shaggers to Akatore that i used to clean up the local fishing comps for years down that way. you'll be sweet....and no doubt there will be a few locals keen to get out to some new productive spots for a decent feed.

I'll hook you up before you go.....feel free to pass them onto any worthy :x local yakkers down that way when your down there.......although you might have to convince the locals to leave the harbour and head out taradise distances to get into the big numbers of cod and groper :rock:

My pick would be to concentrate on Brighton to Taieri mouth and Akatore as launching sites and head out to 40-50m and hit the main offshore reefs for 2-3kg Cod and Groper to 15kg.

a shorter paddle to get started would be to head out off brighton to centre reef (half way to green island) for a cod....and if the seas good carry on to out the back of green island to 36-40m - about 1.5km out the back. Line up the massive crack in the back of the island with the pinnacle half way up jeffcoats road going up the hill from Waldronville. Just watch your sounder its pretty obvious and often has bouys on it - Good 2.5-3kg cod and grouper to 10kg - won a lot of comps off that piece of rock :x

or another relatively close alternative would be to launch at the old round house and go straight out to 30m out the back of roundhouse reef - good schooly groper over summer and a few cod to boot.

I'll school ya up before ya go.
compulsive sea whore and gear slut....

Viking Profish 440 - SLR
Callsign ZMS 5405

poodle
Kayak Model: scrambler xt

Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:12 pm

Sshould be free next weekend...
You can't catch a fish from the couch

Wondaboy

Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:35 pm

Back in New Plymouth now. Otago fish stock are in good order still due the very average weather encountered during my stay. Just the one searun trout for my efforts after many kilometers paddled trolling. Didn't get out for a cod fish, although whilst waiting a pasting thunder storm under the end of the port log wharf, I did catch several nice blue cod, yum!
The salmon will just have to wait till 2015 ...... or a trip to the Waitaki this coming March might be on the cards. |(

andym
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400

Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:53 pm

Shame the weather was so crappy for so long, was planing to get down and paddle around Dunedin. Let us know when your down in March.

• Information