Some tips

Tasman/Marlborough region discussions, for local trips, meetings etc.
Anton m
Kayak Make: Frontier

Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:58 am

Hi I am new to this forum and would like some tips for golden bay we have been out twice this week and have come away with fairly successfully results the first day we asked around were to go but found it to hard to find the right as we dont have a sounder we just berlyed up to the left of tarakohe harbour after about half an hour of nothing we hooked into a just legal kingi decided to put back because we didn’t have enough room in the campervan freezer. The second trip we were having dinner at Tata beach we read that it was fished out during the summer so we weren’t sure what to expect but came pack with two pannies still not to sure where to find better sized snapper any tips would be very helpful

MikeAqua
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:09 am

Launch at Tata beach and paddle around to the right to Wainui Bay. Great snapper fishing at change of light, especially dawn but you have to be very, very sneaky as it's shallow.

I pick a location between the reef (not too close due to spotties and other pickers) and the mussel farms anchor and start a cube trail but have also done quite well anchoring up and casting into the shallows near the beach. A mate swears by fishing between the lines of mussels. I've concluded the whole bay is pretty fishy.

When I catch snapper in there they tend to be full of little mud crabs (from the beach presumably) and also (shell-less), whole hermit crabs (shell-less) up to about 2 inches long. Raw prawns are an effective bait but anchovies work too.

I think the fish head in there in darkness to feed and then bug out at change of light.
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

Anton m

Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:26 am

Thanks a lot definitely will try that

peteatkina
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: pf400

Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:21 am

mikes right about wainui. give them plenty of room if theyre harvesting spat.
also around tata islands can be fishy. not too close or its all spotties n juv cod.
have had some joy between the two but 100m out off the obvious reefs.
definetly predawn n after dusk. take lights!
and if all fails go for a paddle around the bay with a lure out.
beautiful spot

Anton m

Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:02 pm

Thanks for all the reply’s anyoneone keen to go for a fish when the rain clears up keen to catch a good snapper

MikeAqua
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:54 pm

Anton m wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:02 pm
Thanks for all the reply’s anyoneone keen to go for a fish when the rain clears up keen to catch a good snapper
My grandad used to say on rainy days fish shelter under the boat to avoid getting wet ...
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

Anton m

Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:53 pm

Sounds very logical :D

• Information