kina report

Tasman/Marlborough region discussions, for local trips, meetings etc.
peteatkina
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: pf400

Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:51 am

The 'otha fulla' (being the good bugger he is) had me down early for a predawn launch. We normally launch down the peninsula but decided to use the carpark 'off the end' where most launch from. Due to storm debris filling one of the 3 carpark spots and a high tide there wasnt much space for the small truck, a van, ute n trailer, and another ute. Being used to not seeing anyone at that hour it seemed like chaos, and i got out of there quick.
A nice light offshore took me out to 7m. The ff had been showing a lot of sign from 3m so found a weed bed n dropped the pin. The first four baits resulted in 3 ky n a snaps (30ish) all returned. A constant stream of yaks passed by over the next hour heading further out (10m?). With no desire to leave I kept dropping baits, resulting in keeping a couple of fat (mid 30's) snaps and 2 ky. Getting baits through the ky was proving frustrating, so paddled over to t.o.f and as he wasnt picking up snaps a move was the plan.
With the tide dropping quickly we shifted west and into the shallows. 4.5m felt shallow, but we stealthed into the weed beds. Some big sign off the bottom looked much better and t.o.f stopped. I drifted out to 5.5 just on the edge of the weed wondering if I shouldve gone out to 8-10m. Turned around to see how t.o.f was going n his rod was buckled over. All smiles a few minutes later he holds up a nice looking 50(?)ish fatty. Turns out he picked up another not long after.
By the time the sun came out we were both done. Fun had been had. I had given my little abu silver2 a solid work out and dinner for the week was sorted.
Hi to the big crew from nelson. Be nice to know how you got on. Great to see over a dozen yaks out there

Ranson_3dm
Kayak Make: VIKING
Kayak Model: ESPRI

Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:32 pm

Every time I have been out to Kina it's really rough andand chopot and just get really wet and cold haha, any tips on weather and wind?
Been getting a few good mid 50 snaps out cable and plenty of gurnard but got to get deep and lots of paddling. Wouldn't mind trying Kina but need some information on when is good...

Cheers guys for all the good info on here

peteatkina
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: pf400

Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:37 am

Hey ranson best to dress warm n dry. The morning offshore breeze can be chilly n usually drops just as you decide to go in... Evenings are better in summer-autumn, as onshore sea breeze drops earlier.
I use Yr weather forecast, swellmap, and surf forecast. Usually two of the three agree.

• Information