Kina or ruby?

Tasman/Marlborough region discussions, for local trips, meetings etc.
Cumbrianlad
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload

Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:08 am

Looking at heading out today around 9 ish anybody going out to either of these places they don't mind a bit of kayak noob hanging around with them? Is one fishing better than the other. I'll let you know how I get on. :)

Cumbrianlad

Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:20 pm

Went out about 9:30 paddled out to about 8 mtr depth out from W at kina, burlyed up
Caught one ky. Back in just as weather turned. Was nice to get out on the water again.

peteatkina
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: pf400

Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:22 pm

good onya for getting out. been masses of ky out there. carless at the moment or wouldve joined ya. found these lurking out there a month or so ago
Attachments
20170922_134621[1].jpg

Cumbrianlad

Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:42 pm

Looks like you did better than me by a long way. I just dropped burly down to bottom and threw some lumps of squid out with very little weight. Could I do anything different next time?

peteatkina

Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:51 am

he bud ummm mix it up a bit. imagine your sitting on a rugby field n somewhere theres a chocky bikky. you might see it... you might smell it... you might even accidently find it walking around. this is a fishes view...
up the odds in your favour by
fish top n mid water or even half meter off the bottom-easier to see
squid smell lasts less than 15min-pillies,chovies,tuna oily goodness n creates mini burley trail. not dissing squid tho, i love a whole one on 2 hooks(especially mid water for kingis)
8m off the w-why 8m? why off the w? think about why the fish are there. food. find the food find the fish. perhaps go for a look on dead low tide.
change of light- i recon early for kings, evening till after dark for the snaps. have caught plenty snaps in morning but the bite seems shorter.
burley-generally not much current at 8m so hang it off the yak n keep jiggling it, or chunk trail of tiny bits of bait
quietly quietly-its pretty shallow. had an early sesh out there recently where things were going well until a boat did a wide loop around us and the bite stopped completely.
do some long drogue runs and flick sbs. it covers lots of territory and any structure will become apparent. on such flat ground a 300mm rise or patch of weed becomes structure.
plenty livies in close. pick up some on the way out....
Im a freak but on an average sesh 4-6hrs i will troll, sb, micro n slow jig, drogue and anchor in a couple of spots dropping baits :x :x

MikeAqua
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:15 am

I've had more success at Kina drifting than anchored. I seem to get the most bites when I can feel a hook (running rig) dragging through the weed on the boulder fans. That's the habitat holding food.

Also when that line of outgoing estuary water comes down. The edge of that seems to hold snapper.

Pete, what softies do you find work out there?
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

Cumbrianlad

Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:16 pm

Hi Pete thanks for the info. I headed out paddling about and just found a bit of a rise or ruff looking bottom on my sounder that's why I was in 8 mtr. I did see some at about 4 mtr too which in hindsite prob would of been the spot to look at.
I'm thinking I should of floated about a bit more with the baits but have just go anchor and was really wanting a bit of anchor practice. I did have a go with a micro jig but felt I wasn't really doing it right so went back to trusted baits.
I guess I've just got to get out a bit more and get some experience under my belt. I usually use anchovies when surfcasting with some success I may try them instead of squid next time.
Really appreciate any info off of you guys I know you've put in a lot of k's on the yaks to obtain this.

peteatkina

Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:15 pm

mike - interesting you prefer the drift. i get snagged too much unless out off the reefs in the mud. sbs-love them 3 legged octo things in nuke chicken, little blue nemesis probably got the most species, some little kaveman ones in pearl(look like a fat whitebait) been working last couple of trips. them current/tide lines are fish magnets (ta for that info) can be a degree or three warmer/colder either side n full of yummy bits getting pushed along. read somewhere you picked up johnies on a lucanus. cable? caught one way up north 40yrs ago with a shovel.

cumbrianlad - your on the right path bro. keep lifting ya baits regularly as sometimes its a visual thing. re microjigs yeah just feels wrong but once that tip gets slammed down oh boy ya hooked. I guess im a bait fisher first, who plays with metal n rubber when ive caught a couple.

but back to the original question - either, i do find at kina the snaps will hammer a spot for a couple of days then move off elsewhere for a bit.

Cumbrianlad

Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:31 pm

Thanks Pete. And also Mike.
Saturday looks like it might be ok for a paddle. I'll give it another go and see what is kicking about. Hopefully catch you guys out there sometime.

MikeAqua

Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:53 am

peteatkina wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:15 pm
mike - interesting you prefer the drift. i get snagged too much unless out off the reefs in the mud.
I've only been snagged once and managed to retrieve the small boulder I was attached too. If I'm drifting I'm using running rigs. I can feel the hook grab and release on that short red seaweed and whatever else is growing on the cobble size rocks. It's just after this happens that I get the most bites.

My theory is that the disturbance attracts fish and when the hook pulls free it appears to dart and that triggers the fishing to strike.

I've also had success by waiting until I find a boulder fan. Anchoring and then simulating drifting with long casts and slow retrieves back across the bottom.

Also less spiny dogs if the bait is on the move

+1 for check your baits often. Especially if stationary. Those little squinty-eyed sand-sharks will just clamp onto a bait and sit there. Not even hooked, but while that's happening, nothing else is getting to your bait.
ZMT-7387
'Zespri' Viking Espri

peteatkina

Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:26 pm

I like your theories mike... best thing about this forum is the knowledge shared
hopefully see ya out there before next winters cable cod competition :rofl:
considered a snap comp this summer, but broke, unemployable, n carless.... maybe in april/may :headbang:

MikeAqua

Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:12 am

I'm racing the clock to get equipped enough to be back on the water for the early snapper ... I have all my safety gear replaced ... rod holders partially sorted. I have a way to go to get the hang of the new kayak enough to be comfortable fishing out of it.

The spanner in the works is that I am having surgery in mid-November and that will preclude lifting/paddling/swimming for about 6 weeks and gentle reintroduction of exercise after that. Probably be back on the water in time for the late snapper.
ZMT-7387
'Zespri' Viking Espri

peteatkina

Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:44 am

MikeAqua wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:12 am
I'm racing the clock to get equipped enough to be back on the water for the early snapper ..
stuffsnaps.PNG
stuffsnaps.PNG (451.2 KiB) Viewed 318 times

The spanner in the works is that I am having surgery in mid-November
Jeez might see ya in there if i ever get an op date..... waiting since march.....

MikeAqua

Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:03 pm

peteatkina wrote:
Jeez might see ya in there if i ever get an op date..... waiting since march.....
Mine's complicated so happening in Auckland.
ZMT-7387
'Zespri' Viking Espri

peteatkina

Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:01 pm

MikeAqua wrote:
peteatkina wrote:
So's mine, hence the delay apparently....
Hope nothing serious and all goes well for ya. be nice to hook up for a fish sometime!

MikeAqua

Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:46 am

peteatkina wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:01 pm
MikeAqua wrote:
peteatkina wrote:
So's mine, hence the delay apparently....
Hope nothing serious and all goes well for ya. be nice to hook up for a fish sometime!
Nothing wrong with me. I'm the donor.

Likewise hoping it all goes well for you. I'm definitely keen to catch up for a fish sometime.
ZMT-7387
'Zespri' Viking Espri

peteatkina

Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:06 pm

Big ups to you mike :clap: :clap: , tangaroa will reward you well with many xxxl fish and hope your recovery is as swift as that new yak.
If i can wrangle transport will be out somewhere(to be confirmed), sunday, as just found out im top of the list. within 2-3weeks yaaaay

• Information