Port workup

Tasman/Marlborough region discussions, for local trips, meetings etc.
Post Reply
Ranson_3dm
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:43 pm
Kayak Make: VIKING
Kayak Model: ESPRI
Location: AUCKLAND

Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:12 am

Big anchovy workup yesterday between 1.30 and 4.30 yesterday afternoon, amazing kahawai fun on light tackle with a majority of them being around the 30cm Mark with a few larger specimens. My first time being in a big workup in a kayak, and what fun it is I must say being able to the kahawai right below the kayak and splashing all around you.
Managed to catch around 20 keeping 9 of the bbetter sized ones :-)
Best photo I could get sorry peeps.
Attachments
IMG_20170228_153527.jpg

User avatar
MikeAqua
Posts: 3314
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:23 pm
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387
Location: Nelson

Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:21 am

If you like thw ork ups sugegts heading to Cable Bay on clam sunny mornings.

Often there are good work ups around the outer end of Peppin Island which is an easy paddle out.

In my experience the Kahawai are bigger there. 2kg specimens are typical.
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

Ranson_3dm
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:43 pm
Kayak Make: VIKING
Kayak Model: ESPRI
Location: AUCKLAND

Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:56 am

Cheers Mike, I've been out there a few times and seen a few small work ups but they move so fast lol.
Haven't been right out to the front of the island yet, I've been heading to Delaware side of Pepin and getting good results with snapper :-)
What's the fishing like out the front of the island?

User avatar
MikeAqua
Posts: 3314
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:23 pm
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387
Location: Nelson

Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:11 am

Ranson_3dm wrote:Cheers Mike, I've been out there a few times and seen a few small work ups but they move so fast lol.
Haven't been right out to the front of the island yet, I've been heading to Delaware side of Pepin and getting good results with snapper :-)
What's the fishing like out the front of the island?
Good gurnard at bite times, regardless of time of day.

Can be quite good for snapper if you can get into deep-water and a bit of current off one of the reef ends. Burley up, change of light, anchovies for cubing and bait. I struggle to catch snapper out there once the sun is out - the water is so clear. Whereas at Kina (typically dirtier water) they are less shy and I've had good hauls mid-late morning on sunny days.

Generally in Kahawai season on a fine day ... once the sun gets over the cliff tops the place erupts.

A mission of is to catch some snapper or Kingfish feeding below the work ups, but the few times I've tried I haven't been able to get bait or lure past the work up - even those elevator jig heads get smashed within 5m.
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

User avatar
petecanaan
Posts: 304
Joined: Sun May 03, 2015 3:04 pm
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: pf400
Location: motueka

Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:25 pm

MikeAqua wrote: A mission of is to catch some snapper or Kingfish feeding below the work ups, but the few times I've tried I haven't been able to get bait or lure past the work up - even those elevator jig heads get smashed within 5m.
For snapperfish I try n get behind or in tail of work up. Takes a while for debris to sink down. Once ky vanish snapperfish turn up for a chew. Sometimes...

User avatar
MikeAqua
Posts: 3314
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:23 pm
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387
Location: Nelson

Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:21 pm

petecanaan wrote:
MikeAqua wrote: A mission of is to catch some snapper or Kingfish feeding below the work ups, but the few times I've tried I haven't been able to get bait or lure past the work up - even those elevator jig heads get smashed within 5m.
For snapperfish I try n get behind or in tail of work up. Takes a while for debris to sink down. Once ky vanish snapperfish turn up for a chew. Sometimes...
Thanks for the tip. Makes sense.
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

Post Reply
  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest