Am keen to fish with some peeps

Tasman/Marlborough region discussions, for local trips, meetings etc.
Ranson_3dm
Kayak Make: VIKING
Kayak Model: ESPRI

Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:25 pm

Anyone ok for me to join regularly on fishing expeditions? Been getting out heaps since buying the kayak but want to fish with some people.
Went out kina today, saw couple kingis Chase my soft baits back to the yak and had couple good runs but then they were dropped and beside that it was quiet. Saw one other kayaker and couple boats.
How's everyone else been getting on.
Was out Delaware last Saturday night with my wife and thanks to Mike's knowledge caught some decent cod in close to rocks but was quite choopy with a easterly blowing

petecanaan
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: pf400

Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:47 pm

Awesome fun them kings at kina. Try a livey. Some big snaps caught out to right of camp on set lines. Been bedridden for 2 weeks n probably a month more. Will pm if I ever return to reality
Good luck

Ranson_3dm
Kayak Make: VIKING
Kayak Model: ESPRI

Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:22 am

What has happened to you Pete? Where you said about the big snaps is roughly where I got the big runs, would've run then realised something was up.

petecanaan
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: pf400

Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:57 am

Just ongoing chaos. Let em run for a bit n chew on that bait. Use circle hooks n slowly tighten to set hook. Same with the kings... Plenty yak fishes about. Just paddle over n introduce yourself.
Enjoy

MikeAqua
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:21 pm

A small bait-feeder reel can be great for straylining e.g. the shimano baitrunner D.

Leave it on the rear/feeder drag and slowly wind up the tension till the hooks etc then switch to the main drag

Or a normal reel with the drag set very light and use your thumb to slowly increase the tension.

The less drag the better to start with. Lightest you can have with stationary bait.
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

• Information