Cable Bay Sunday (shark!)

Tasman/Marlborough region discussions, for local trips, meetings etc.
MikeAqua
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:49 am

Late start after a late night, launched about 7:45am. Out to the outside of Peppin in about 25m. Big work up of Kahawai, both my fishing mate and myself got solid hits. I got a bird snagged in my line and by the time it got away the Kahawai was long gone.

Anchored near one of the projecting reefs, got a nice little gurnard (32cm) almost straight away. Dropped another right on the surface. Things quietened down so I decided to go on the drift

I had a strayline out with whole anchovy. That got hit hard. Thinking it might be snapper I let it run, pause then rung again and struck. It started off feeling like good solid fish, but no head nodding and quite a lot of lateral movement with lots of deep dives, so I thought it was large Kahawai or a small king.

Then it just got harder and harder to stop. I was fishing a 5-8 kg BBE with a 4000 stradic reel and about two thirds drag. Line is just steadily peeling off, with faster bursts.

So now I'm thinking a big king ... then it breaks the surface ... a thresher shark about 4 feet long. Absolutely stunning in the bright sunlight, leaping out of the water all over the place etc. Towing the kayak.

So I battle away thinking "this can't last on a light strayline rig". But it does and slowly I'm winning. Get three colours in lose two it goes on for ages and eventually the leader knot is above the surface, but I can't see the fish because it's under the yak (3m leader plus strayline rig. Then it runs back out to three colours again.

Then something else big hits my other rig. I call may mate over to take that rod, a 3kg outfit with a low profile bait-caster that is fast running out of mono .... but it doesn't last long, whatever the second fish was busts off. I was thinking probably a baracoutta.

Anyhow back to the thresher. I figure if I can get it beside the yak placated I can get a photo and cut the hook off close to its mouth. If it's calm enough, maybe even remove the hook.

My mate says, "if I had a camera I'd shoot some video". I pass my camera to him. That was it .... the line parted between the swivel and the hook. Game over.

Still a very exciting 15 minutes or so ... but bite time was over by the time I got rods re-rigged ... no more fish after that (except one baracoutta which I cut up for cubes).

Upon inspection the second fish (whatever it was) had straightened the top hook on a 5/0 black magic flasher rig and had bitten through below that hook. Not sure what to make of that.

Quite the exciting adventure. Certainly the most powerful fish I have fought on a yak for more than few seconds. I was very impressed with how the little stradic handled it. It's onLy 4000 reel. But it stayed smooth and just kept several kg of pressure on the fish.

The leader was undamaged, so if I'd had a steel trace I would have won.
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:21 pm

They are a stunning looking that's for sure ...

petecanaan
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: pf400

Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:28 am

The otha fulla had some brief fun with one off Stevens. Acrobatic mayhem. Also on light gear n small bait.
Jealous. One species still to be ticked off my list!
Only ticked one of this year. 10kg long fin tuna (eel) :wasntme:

Epicskwid
Kayak Model: ProFish 400 Lite

Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:28 am

shame you couldn't get a photo! How high did he make it out of the water? :clap:
Viking ProFish 400 Lite
Catch 290 [Retired]

Kayak PB's
2.2kg Blue Cod- Golden Bay
1.2kg Gurnard - Okiwi Bay
1.7kg Snapper - Clifton
1.3kg John Dory - New Plymouth Port
3.2kg Kahawai - Hawkes Bay Port
2.1kg Trevally - Taylors Bay Mahia
35cm Tarakihi - Whangawehi Mahia

MikeAqua

Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:09 pm

Epicskwid wrote:shame you couldn't get a photo! How high did he make it out of the water? :clap:
3 or 4 feet out of the water maybe. Not that high.

I tried but it's hard to take a photo while fighting a big fish. You never quite know where they will jump.

I did snap a photo of the BBE bent like a noodle. I'll post that if it's any good.

In retrospect I should have given it slack when it ran to jump as that's eventually how it got off - jump and roll. My instinct is to wind fast when a fish is going to jump because that's when you lose trout and kahawai. Oh well ... next time
ZMT-7387
'Zespri' Viking Espri

MikeAqua

Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:30 pm

petecanaan wrote:The otha fulla had some brief fun with one off Stevens. Acrobatic mayhem. Also on light gear n small bait.
Jealous. One species still to be ticked off my list!
Only ticked one of this year. 10kg long fin tuna (eel) :wasntme:
I can't tick it off my list yet ... I didn't boat it.

I'm seriously keen to have another go with a steel trace on the TLD 15. I've often seen threshers are often around in the wake of a kahawai work up or where snapper are ripping into baitfish.
ZMT-7387
'Zespri' Viking Espri

Epicskwid
Kayak Model: ProFish 400 Lite

Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:48 pm

if you had the leader with the fish real close thats a caught fish, i dunno if i'd be bringing a large thresher on board
Viking ProFish 400 Lite
Catch 290 [Retired]

Kayak PB's
2.2kg Blue Cod- Golden Bay
1.2kg Gurnard - Okiwi Bay
1.7kg Snapper - Clifton
1.3kg John Dory - New Plymouth Port
3.2kg Kahawai - Hawkes Bay Port
2.1kg Trevally - Taylors Bay Mahia
35cm Tarakihi - Whangawehi Mahia

MikeAqua

Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:35 pm

Epicskwid wrote:if you had the leader with the fish real close thats a caught fish, i dunno if i'd be bringing a large thresher on board
It's OK I'm a marine biologist .... kidding.

I wouldn't try to cuddle a shark with pointy teeth on the kayak. But if well placated, and 'lip' hooked I would attempt hook removal with long nose pliers.

I was close to shore so dragging into the shallows was also an option. Reasonably impressive rod bend ...
(5-8kg Backbone-Elite)

You can see my mate in the distance, I was past him when I hooked up.

Such fun!
P1030044.JPG
ZMT-7387
'Zespri' Viking Espri

• Information