Delware Inlet Tide Offset?

Tasman/Marlborough region discussions, for local trips, meetings etc.
MikeAqua
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:31 pm

Does anyone know the time difference between high tide at Nelson and Delaware Inlet?

If the weather is good tomorrow I'm going to park at cable bay, launch into the Estuary and troll around the island.

But it needs to be high tide in the Estuary for that plan to work.
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

petecanaan
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: pf400

Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:11 pm

Tricky one Mike.
Influenced by size of tide.
Have been there after 'high' n found Estuary still filling.
The Estuary behind jacketts island (kina) can be an hr or so behind tide times.
Sry not much help.
Have a mint trip

petecanaan

Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:41 pm

Sounds like weather was perfect.
How did tide work out for ya?
Pick up anything on the troll?

MikeAqua

Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:06 am

High tide was officially 10:57 at Cable Bay.

I launched about 11:00 into the Inlet. The tide was still coming in quite fast in the channel so I wound my way out along the shore of the Island. There seemed to be a back eddy there, I was able to cruise at 3 knots with minimal effort.

Got to the Entrance about 11:50 and the tide was till hosing in. I suspect it had another half an hour to go. So I think High tide in Delaware Inlet is one and half hours behind Cable Bay.

I managed to angle across the incoming current and get out the Entrance without any probs.

Trolled around the Island and back into Cable Bay. Not a sausage on the lures, no birds working, no fish jumping. Nothing. Fishfinder was showing a desert ...

I've never seen the current so strong around the outer end of of Peppin Island. Standing chop over some of the reefs and it had me down to about 2 knots.

A couple of guys were fishing from kayaks out there and one Kahawai was the total action they had seen.

Into Cable Bay the sea breeze was picking up and this gave me bit of an assist in the last leg allowing about 4 knots.

All up took about 3 hours with couple of breaks to eat and drink. On the map it's about a 10km paddle. Good work out.
ZMT-7387
'Zespri' Viking Espri

petecanaan

Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:46 am

Cheers Mike for info.
Sounds like a fun and I imagine a very scenic trip. Definitely on my list. Unfortunately (?) I've spent the summer painting the house, but a kingi chasing - snapperfish slaughtering trip out of cable would clear the cobwebs, so will try including a lap of peppin too.
Surprised ff was quiet, but maybe bait just not around. Plenty of nice snapper breeding stock being removed this year....

MikeAqua

Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:12 pm

petecanaan wrote:Cheers Mike for info.
Sounds like a fun and I imagine a very scenic trip. Definitely on my list. Unfortunately (?) I've spent the summer painting the house, but a kingi chasing - snapperfish slaughtering trip out of cable would clear the cobwebs, so will try including a lap of peppin too.
Surprised ff was quiet, but maybe bait just not around. Plenty of nice snapper breeding stock being removed this year....
Quite a tricky thing to plan well in retrospect.

Ideally you want to the outgoing tide in the inlet and it needs to be fairly high to be navigable.

But the outgoing tide is harder around the top of Peppin and into Cable (especially on a King Tide :lol:)
ZMT-7387
'Zespri' Viking Espri

• Information