Help needed - Pohara/Tata/Patons :-)

Tasman/Marlborough region discussions, for local trips, meetings etc.
bestgun
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: 2+1

Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:12 pm

Hi Everyone. I'm new to this forum, and hoping that you might be able to relieve my frustration! Been coming to Pohara over late Dec to mid Jan period for the last few years, and this year in desperation purchased a Viking 2+1 kayak so I could get out to where the fish are -well so I thought! I'm a keen angler, but an inexperienced kayak fisher :). I can paddle pretty well but can't hack massive distances until my butt is accustomed :o . I don't have a fish finder or depth finder. Have been out from Pohara and quickly caught two little 15cm snapper yesterday morning at 7:30am about 3 hours before the top of the tide, then not a single bite for the next 4 hours. Using light gear and bait as I've read here that bait works better than softies? Shot out again last night about 7:30pm on the rising tide and not a single dot. So pretty despondent! So can your collective wisdom help me out here to be more successful? Should I be anchored, or is drifting better (there's quite a drift making it hard to stay in the same place). Does Pohara fish ok, or am I wasting my time here and better off Tata or elsewhere? How far out do you need to be? You have to go a fair way out from Pohara to get in 6-7m of water. Any help that you guys are comfortable sending my way hugely appreciated! I put most of what I catch back, keeping one for the pan if I'm lucky enough. Cheers and thanks very much in advance.

petecanaan
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: pf400

Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:10 pm

Will be launching tomorrow 830 am tata beach feel free to join
Taking couple mates out

Try around structure tata islands wainui reefs n mussel farm
OR
Big burley trails at anchor
OR
Work up chasing.....

Enjoy

bestgun

Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:54 pm

Many thanks Petercannan - that's a very kind offer! If the weather is good and my kind wife happy to accompany me to get the yak off the roof (a bit awkward for one manpower), that sounds great! Assuming you will be launching from boat ramp.....?

MikeAqua
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:28 pm

Wainui bay between rocks and adjacent mussel farm at eastern side of the bay.
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

JohnnyR
Kayak Make: Prowler
Kayak Model: 13

Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:08 pm

My suggestion at this time of the year is to head out very early or be out there at very last light. Stay away from places with heavy boat traffic. From my 8 yrs fishing experience in GB I've found that from November to the end of Feb, the change of light is more important than the state of the tide. From March onward fish the two hours before the top of the tide regardless of the time of day.

Having said that I've never spent much time fishing at Pohara. I prefer Patons Rock or Onekaka (when the tide is right).

For me, anchoring and burley using pilchards and sometimes squid on a ledger rig will usually result in more fish than drifting with lures and soft bait. At this time of the year if you can set a longline prior to using your rod, then pick it up afterwards, it will usually double your catch.

bestgun

Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:35 pm

Many thanks everyone for sharing your experiences, much appreciated. Cheers and thanks to Petercanaan and his mates for having me tag along yesterday - thoroughly enjoyed the company and much appreciated your advice! Great day. Thanks also MikeAqua and JohnnyR - very sage words of wisdom that's for sure. Definitely the fish around here get spooked up by boat traffic - especially when the water is so shallow and there's such a shedload of boats and jetskis buzzing around. Just waiting for the wind to settle again and will give it another go!

• Information