Pilchards versus Anchovies

Tasman/Marlborough region discussions, for local trips, meetings etc.
JohnnyR
Kayak Make: Prowler
Kayak Model: 13

Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:51 am

Here in Golden Bay I've always used pilchards. What are anchovies like for bait and stray lining? Any thoughts?

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:37 pm

Anchovies? You must get a bigger version down that way?

I've only used anchovies once when they got caught up in my throwing net many, many years ago - threw four on the hook at once.
Lost the whole kit and caboodle to a Kingy 3 minutes later! :doh:
.................... "Flying Mango"....................
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

Cumbrianlad
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload

Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:52 pm

Use anchovies all the time. I think they are a great bait. Caught a few snapper on them last night.

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:13 pm

Obviously been too long since I last bought bait !
Just seen the bait anchovies for sale - tad bigger than the ones I had :P
.................... "Flying Mango"....................
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

peteatkina
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: pf400

Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:46 am

love chovies. theres something about the size n oily goodness that turns fish on. great way to start a session then flick over to pilchards or squid or ky to keep the pickers at bay. bait quality has been an issue this summer, with mushy chovies n pink squid being common. if not burlying i chuck handfulls of chopped up chunks into the current. magic.
possibly more baits per bag than pilchards too?
also keen on those baby salmon that were available last year. tough n oily

AndrewRawlingson

Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:02 am

I wouldn’t have thought that snapper would be so discerning as to turn their nose up at an anchovy, yet gobble up a pilchard?!

Now a discussion about orange versus blue jigs would be much more interesting

I’ll shut up now. Merry Christmas!

MikeAqua
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:45 am

I have more luck with anchovies than pilchards, they seem a good bite size for 40cm+ snapper.

Being able to put them on whole they are more durable and get inhaled rather than picked at.
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

JohnnyR

Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:33 pm

Thanks for that everyone, I think I'll try anchovies and see how they go.
Went out very early this morning to Patons Rock and caught 4 snapper and 4 gurnard. One snapper on soft bait, the remainder on lightly salted pilchards.

hermodo
Kayak Make: ocean kayak
Kayak Model: 4.1 ultra
VHF Call Sign: -

Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:14 pm

I see you live ,or fish in Golden bay , I live and Fish in Hawkes Bay . I'm sure the fishing is hugely different, but I have got a source of free anchovies . Not wanting to turn down this wonderful source of bait , I have switched to Anchovies from pillies . They are smaller , so using them whole is good , 'cos they hang together better than a cut bait. you can stray line them whole, with a ball sinker or a weighted jig head. If you use the old surfcasters' trick of bait elastic you can rig nice oily stray line baits, either into your burly trail or wherever you choose to cast. Sometimes tho the water here isn't so clear , & there isn't much structure , so I revert to ledger rigs , and stray lining with baby squid , or cut squid .( its whiter and can be seen easily, also hangs onto your hook better ). Can't say Ive had much luck with softies or jigging.

JohnnyR

Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:49 pm

Thanks Hermodo,

From what I've read on the forum I think there are quite a few similarities with the fishing in Golden Bay and Napier. Soft baits and jigs don't seem to work nearly as well here as they do in the upper North island. I catch a few fish on both but ledger rigs with pilchard account for probably 80% of my fish. Stray lining produces a few fish, but not as many as I think it should. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I seem to mainly catch one sand shark after another.
I don't really target surface fish; mackerel, kingfish or kahawai. I prefer eating slower moving bottom feeders

I'm keen now to try anchovies, particularly for stray lining.

MikeAqua

Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:43 am

I find running rigs are also good in Nelson bays.

I often fish one runner cast about 30m out the back and drop a flasher rig straight down.

I have seen the running rig clean up several time when a flasher rig isn't working or is attracting mackerel.

Sand sharks - just have to fish through em. They seem to be worse when shellfish based baits and burley are used.
ZMT-7387
'Zespri' Viking Espri

JohnnyR

Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:24 pm

I'm interested in how you do this Mike because I'm trying to figure out why, over the summer, I consistently catch more fish on a long line than I do on rods and burley fished nearby. I'm assuming the difference must be the kayak because everything else is the same.
On Tuesday I set the long line then fished a stray line with pilchard about 20 metres behind the kayak while drifting. I only caught sand sharks on the stray line while the long line also baited with pilchard caught both snapper and gurnard.
Do you drop your flasher rig down from a float?

MikeAqua

Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:55 am

Firstly let me say, I'm a meat hunter. I'm most interested in catching pannies and gurnard. I very rarely catch big snapper.

I have a pretty standard running rig set up - egg sinker above the swivel and a single 5/0 circle hook below the swivel. Attached by Mustad fastach swivel-clips.

If I'm anchored I cast this out in the direction I am facing a far as I can and let it sit there. If I don't get any bites I will wind it back in a couple of feet at a time. If I'm drifting I cast it back and let it drag behind. Either way I going for a flat angle between line and water. This seems to be important.

Movement seems to be important on some days to attract snapper and especially gurnard. I used to use a floating bead right by the hook to float the bait up but movement does the same job for me with a higher hook up rate. You also attract fewer sharks if your bait is on the move.

Rods go in the rod holders, one each side of the boat and I let the fish hook themselves. I try to have couple of spare rigs pre-baited on deck at all times. When I catch a fish or need to re-bait i just swap the rig over and get a bait back out there ASAP. This is because I find snapper and gurnard come in runs. The fishing gets very hot for 5 or ten minutes then dies off again, so I want to maximise my fishing time.

That's what works best for me.
ZMT-7387
'Zespri' Viking Espri

MikeAqua

Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:58 am

Flasher rig just goes straight down from the kayak with as little line out as possible. Never as successful and the running rigs and always more sharks and jack mackerel.

When I set the longline from the boat I get spiny's as well as snapper and gurnard.
ZMT-7387
'Zespri' Viking Espri

peteatkina
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: pf400

Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:41 am

hey johnnyr how did the chovies work for you? i hear reports of nice fishing over your way.
if on the drift i often put a softy out the back. seems to catch its share of fish. definetly worth using secret sauce or some additive to boost the appeal tho. i prefer the smaller 3-4" versions with plenty of tail. have got ky, gurnard, brim, cod, terakihi n a flounder on them. constant cast n retrieve usually the go but dangling one a meter or so off the bottom under the yak n fishing bait on the other rod seems to attract fish too. not much joy on sliders but the odd fish on micro jigs.

JohnnyR

Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:56 pm

Hi Pete
Back home after 3 weeks away. Haven't been fishing this year. Given the rain we've just had I think I'll leave it a few days before heading out.

• Information