Kingi

Tasman/Marlborough region discussions, for local trips, meetings etc.
Ranson_3dm
Kayak Make: VIKING
Kayak Model: ESPRI

Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:33 am

Now I know it's not from a kayak but this is my first land based kingi =) caught in the channel between rabbit island and Mapua, just legal.

Where's everyone else's fishy pics, you all must be catching something as there's plenty of fish.

More big blue cod around Pepin island this year and even the odd trevelly, with plenty of tarakihi there now I know where and how to catch them with snapper also in close to the island early early morning before it's light.
Last edited by Ranson_3dm on Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

peteatkina
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: pf400

Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:13 am

nice bro. landbased counts for double pts. triple pts for releasing it. been stuck at home lately but tangaroa (and 'otha fulla') willing will be out friday. ridiculous amounts of kings around at the moment. watched them busting up baitfish down at mot wharf on monday. plenty in the inlet just west of there cruising the shallows. several been caught in channel jacketts island and kina too. dont expect any fotos from people. lots of people watching not many posting. eh patrick :lol:
fri be my last trip till feb or march damnit so keep the reports flowing

Eug
Kayak Make: perception
Kayak Model: pescador

Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:56 pm

Good fish mate, were you drowning bait or on artificials?

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:51 pm

Sorry, nice fish alright, but I reckon it's probably feeding the crabs now.
One gill hanging out and the others having had your thumb pushed through them. :(
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:04 pm

EDIT:
I see you've now deleted your previous post, as well as editing the original pic and text :^)
Being "a Moderator" had nothing to do with my comment on the fish, would've made the same observations regardless of user status..

Moving on....

HLD
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

peteatkina
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: pf400

Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:05 am

Hairy Little Dwarf wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:04 pm
EDIT:
I see you've now deleted your previous post, as well as editing the original pic and text :^)
Being "a Moderator" had nothing to do with my comment on the fish, would've made the same observations regardless of user status..

Moving on....

HLD
thats a fair call hld. i didnt notice thumbs in gills but releasing a dieing edible fish is a no no.
im going with a case of overenthusiasm(?) as opposed to delibrate disregard hence the editing. we live n learn

AndrewRawlingson

Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:59 pm

I hope this is constructive. Our first experience of eating kingfish wasn't great. Not bled, not iced very well, dark meat not taken off, not vacuum packed for the freezer. My other half didn't want any more after that and we were pleased to get rid of it. It mainly ended up in curries as I remember.

Fast forward 5 years and I do all of the above. Now, my other half requests that we always have some kingfish in the freezer. We pretty much use it as a chicken substitute. I still only kill 1 or 2 fish a year though, that's enough.

• Information