looking for other kayak fishers

Southland region discussions, for local trips, meetings etc.
needtofish
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: profish 440

Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:13 pm

Hi there got myself kayak been out on the sea fishing would like to go with others. Please get in touch
0272623652 (ryegrass)

Huckleberry
Kayak Make: wavewalk
Kayak Model: 500
VHF Call Sign: ZMU5383

Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:25 am

Hey there needtofish, where are you located

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

needtofish

Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:15 am

hi im in invercargill there is not meny kayak fishers down here yet hoping it becomes big thing as there is good fishing round the coast an good access for kayaks

dwmonty
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 13
VHF Call Sign: ZMU3862

Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:19 pm

Be careful down there it gets rough very quickly.
Have always wanted to get my kayak down to Stewart Island for a hunting/fishing trip, but with a mortgage and now two kids it is still just a distant dream.

needtofish

Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:45 pm

Yea you need to be able to read weather maps an you dont take risks as with any boating down here, but when its good it good. i done most my fishing on east i found it to be the best for kayak

sunnysideup
Kayak Make: Barracuda
Kayak Model: Fish Pro
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9752

Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:50 pm

Hi, I'm in Queenstown but come to Invercargill occasionally so if the weathers looking good when I'm coming down will post. Have you fished at Riverton or Colac Bay?

Cheers Paul. 0274488062

needtofish

Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:31 pm

Hay no i havn't be out there on kayak before would be keen for paddle have you been out there?

sunnysideup
Kayak Make: Barracuda
Kayak Model: Fish Pro
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9752

Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:36 pm

No just at curio bay, karitane, Moeraki and shag point so far. Have a good Xmas and will try to line up a paddle in the new year

needtofish

Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:48 pm

Thanks you too

Jez
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400

Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:25 am

Im keen for some company on my kayak
Jez - 0276633216

Went to Mavora at the weekend, caught a bloody nice rainbow in the South Lake (not allowed motor boats on that lake).

I also have a 14ft dinghy that can act as a support boat if required - have a friend who is usually keen to head out for a fish as well and can drive that, hes not keen on paddling
For all the fishing methods, tips, and tricks out there, the most important is that the hook is wet ...

Jez

Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:15 am

Ended up heading to Bluff Harbour yesterday, binned a couple of cod and had a good fight with a big angry barracouta. Talked to a few people at the wharf that were after salmon as well, apparently no one caught any yesterday in bluff. So I grabbed the boat and shot out to fort rose with a friend and we trolled around to see if we could snag anything ... 10 minutes in, after being told "there's nothing out there today" we hooked into a nice 3kg sea run brown.

Forecast looks like another I might take my kayak to work on Tuesday and head out straight away after work (I work at the smelter).
For all the fishing methods, tips, and tricks out there, the most important is that the hook is wet ...

Jez

Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:13 am

If anyone is interested, I gonna head to the Waiau Lagoon this saturday with the yak and head across to the mouth and try and snag a kahawai or two ... failing that there is a chance at salmon or sea run trout in the lagoon itself.

Will also take my cod gear for a look at Gardens Bay, or behind Monkey Island if the sea is flat. Forecast is for notherlies, so should be pretty sheltered along there.

Hi Tide at 7:30am, Low Tide at 1:50pm, looks like it would be best to get to the lagoon about midday (easier paddling to the mouth with the outgoing tide, and better fishing on the incoming tide ... generally). Will be my first time mucking around out there on the kayak.

flick us a text if you are keen ... 0276633216

Jez

Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:35 am

Good afternoon out with Frosty yesterday. Went out back of Ocean Beach freezing works and both caught a feed, was pretty gentle out there sheltered from the northerly.

Between us 7 cod and a gurnard were taken home for dinner.

Might try and make my way down to Shag Rock next weekend if the weather is good

Jez

Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:55 am

Good day out on Sunday with Frosty and Needtofish ... caught a few cod and couta out back of Ocean Beach again (gotta start taking photos of these trips)

Promised to take my boy out on the boat this weekend, happy to play support for you guys if you want to go out for a paddle, was thinking of taking him out round Omaui Island and down to Barracouta Point.

Let us know if yas are keen, I'll probably be making the most of this weather on Thurs/Sat/Sun and try to get some good times out with the kids before I have my holiday.

frosty
Kayak Make: perception
Kayak Model: swing

Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:36 pm

anyone been out lately?Ive been down the oreti river trout fishing in the kayak a couple of times,seems the sea run trout numbers have dropped off.
Went out in taramera bay riverton a few weeks back .Paddled out about a km and it was shallow as,was a waste of time taking the fishing gear don't think there was much around.Ended up playing in the waves practicing coming in with the waves without getting wiped out.
I must try bluff harbour before winter arrives, finding time seems to be the hardest part.
Caught some good rig surfcasting a few times as well.

Jez

Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:39 am

I have been a bit busy lately, although have got some new gear for the kayak and boat.
Thinking of heading out wide on the boat for Cod this Sunday, wife wants a big restock of the freezer before the weather makes getting out difficult.

frosty

Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:12 pm

just out of interest can you catch cod all year around?Or do they head offshore in the winter?

Jez

Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:50 am

all year round ... i actually find the cod fishing better in winter - although this summer might be hard to beat

the only issue down here is getting weather windows to get out, we need a nice long stretch of cold frosty weather to settle the sea down, and some bloody warm clothes (7mm wetsuit will earn its money this winter i imagine).

Mcfly247

Sat May 17, 2014 12:13 am

Hi guys im looking at getting into Yak fishin so it would be good to go with like minded fisho's, I haven't got one yet but was wondering which kayaks everyone is using down here?? And any sugestions?

frosty

Sun May 18, 2014 1:20 pm

I use an old school perception swing 4m long,it lacks the storage space that newer ones have but I have modified it so that it is just fine now.Its fine in rough conditions.
So it doesn't matter what you spend you can still catch fish.

• Information