oreti mouth and along omaui rocks

Southland region discussions, for local trips, meetings etc.
frosty
Kayak Make: perception
Kayak Model: swing

Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:18 pm

is it possible to launch at sandy point on a out going tide and paddle to the omaui rocky shore to fish then back up with the tide to sandy point?
or is it too dangerous with the current and waves?

also has anybody paddled out the back at oreti beach (on a calm day)and fished?

JUst getting into kayak fishing,been sticking to the waihopi river getting used to paddling ect.

Tara Yakka
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload

Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:03 pm

Cant help you out Frosty, but sure am looking forward to the reports from down that way!! :y:
Mission Catch 390
Viking ProFish440
Viking Reload

frosty

Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:41 pm

yea thanks,ive done plenty of landbased fishing so looking forward to getting into the spots i cant normally get into.
Not rushing into it though,going to have a paddle in the estuary next chance i get so I can get used to a bit of chop and current.Going to wait untill my paddling strength gets up before I tackle the open sea,I used to surf so know how waves can be but I know it will be completly different in a kayak.

Sandman
Kayak Make: Prowler
Kayak Model: ultra 4.7

Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:11 pm

hi frosty' just brought a yak and it is being delivered this week, was wondering if you would like to go fishing around Tiwi sometime, i live in Invercargill :mp: 0223129829 and i'm keen to go fishing on these fine spring afternoons
Sandman :devil:

frosty

Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:13 pm

yep sounds good ,Ive been out for a paddle that way a couple of times,went on sunday and a easterly was blowing right up the channel and was too rough to paddle up so stayed in the shallows.

Looking forward to getting around the point when its calm just need to work out what the safest tide will be.

Catch ya...

Jez
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400

Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:37 pm

oooh this was a few months ago ... but i'll throw up a reply and hope its seen anyway.

I normally take my boat out to Omaui, launch at Whalers Bay, had a few uncomfortable trips out there, but given the appropriate weather conditions - south-easterly wind - it should be quite easily paddled. I would launch my yak at Omaui, rather than try pushing across the flow of the Oreti, but I am lazy.

My workmate/fishing buddy has no interest in paddling, but he is happy to use my boat while I fish from the yak, we have planned a couple of towed trips out of Colac Bay for nice days over the next few weeks.

Only reason I dont use my yak more often is I'm not to keen on paddling solo out there, always keen to head out with others however :)
For all the fishing methods, tips, and tricks out there, the most important is that the hook is wet ...

• Information