Bike fishing.

Hawkes Baydiscussions, for local trips, meetings etc.
hermodo
Kayak Make: ocean kayak
Kayak Model: 4.1 ultra
VHF Call Sign: -

Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:43 pm

Since we cannot Kayak fish , I am going to "Bike Fish".
Since the lockdown I have been cracking out between 10 to 25 km on the coastal bike trails most days, so it was only a matter of time before I started thinking that some of the spots I was looking at were entirely fishable. Hawkes Bay has several river mouths , and Haumoana ,Clive, Awatoto, and the Esk River all have cycle access. This isn't rocket science . On any bike you can carry a small fishing kit and a telescopic rod , along with a six pack of beers, some lunch , and if you clothe yourself for the conditions you could spend all day cruising ,& fishing. ! The biggest thing we have been gifted in these unusual times , is time itself. Some of us have so much more personal time ! This won't last , but it does give you headspace to consider how we might do things a bit differently, and try some of those ideas out.
I doubt that Bike Fishing will necessitate buying a bigger freezer , if you get my drift , but the river mouths can produce reasonable KY, and on light gear this is awesome fishing . I know the town reef produces Moki on the "turn of light", so there are some good spots. Winter can be harsh here for kayak fishing with nowhere much to shelter when it chops up , so being land based , altho less productive , and on lighter gear, can mean a better understanding of our local fishery , and it gets us off the couch, eh!

dedant
Kayak Make: Stealth-less
Kayak Model: Pending
VHF Call Sign: ZMU5052

Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:47 pm

Not a new thing. Elderly Asian gentlemen are riding all round aucklands waterfront and Orakei area, with bundles of rods and various baskets and plastic bags hanging off the bikes. :D

Glass is Class.. dedant

hermodo
Kayak Make: ocean kayak
Kayak Model: 4.1 ultra
VHF Call Sign: -

Fri May 01, 2020 6:28 pm

Having had most of my gear ripped off in a burg just before lockdown I responded by buying some new toys online and thinking about this bike fishing thing . Well, Marine Deals came to the party & just as level 3 kicked in ,heres my new little telescopic rod & reel, within the hour of being allowed to fish . Off I go ,feeling like king of the world,armed with my modest little set up and a couple of raw frozen prawns I found embedded in the crusty bottom of the freezer. Five minutes ride and I set up to fish. I don't need to worry about the dog eating the bait, he won't fit on the bike! Anyway, a short cast into the estuary and within minutes the tiny rod doubles over!
A massive fight ensues , with the new gear performing well,and yielding a stingray of about 50cm across." Crikey what a beaudy " I exclaimed wiping my sweaty brow on my khaki shirt , then releasing my first catch as custom demands!

• Information