Mahia this weekend Interest?

Hawkes Baydiscussions, for local trips, meetings etc.
Epicskwid
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: ProFish 400 Lite

Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:00 pm

Me and dad are thinking of going up to mahia for a day trip is there any interest for this sunday?
Northerlies provide shelter to the waikokopu area near blacks beach. Is anyone keen ?
:y:
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-08-11 at 6.53.23 PM.png
Viking ProFish 400 Lite
Catch 290 [Retired]

Kayak PB's
2.2kg Blue Cod- Golden Bay
1.2kg Gurnard - Okiwi Bay
1.7kg Snapper - Clifton
1.3kg John Dory - New Plymouth Port
3.2kg Kahawai - Hawkes Bay Port
2.1kg Trevally - Taylors Bay Mahia
35cm Tarakihi - Whangawehi Mahia

Epicskwid

Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:16 pm

Scrapped the mahia idea because of the forecast worsening. Ended up Heading to Tongoio after checking Aropoanui and Waipatiki which had a bit much wind, also didnt fancy a wet ass launch through some surf.
Headed out not too far offshore , the wind was coming from the west but the sea was comfortable, Water clarity was the best i've seen in months. Found a reef in about 6m of water and set the burly, throughout the morning i landed Kahawai up to 2kg, Blue cod to 30cm, and all sorts of other species. The bite went dead and with dinner in the pod , i headed in where i avoided a turtle in the big dumpers which frequent the area. Even avoided the spinies! :rock:

Back on the beach chucked the surfcaster out with some fresh crab on while packing up and bang a stonker of a rig 8.8kg/19.4lb Great bonus!
Attachments
P8130013.JPG
P8130015.JPG
P8130016.JPG
IMG_0460.jpg
Viking ProFish 400 Lite
Catch 290 [Retired]

Kayak PB's
1.7kg Snapper - Clifton

hermodo
Kayak Make: ocean kayak
Kayak Model: 4.1 ultra
VHF Call Sign: -

Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:14 pm

Pretty good result there Blair , I myself fished Whirinaki, on the surfcaster but came up empty handed . I was using prawns & mussels , hoping for the sort of Rig that you scored !
I like the Tangoio area ,and I'm keen to fish it more over the coming season . I had a discussion with someone at work this week,and fishing spots came up ( inevitable really.), and the closure of the Mahia Camp. We discussed the merits of going to Pourere , which is only an hours drive south, and offers camping as well, although less sophisticated , and apparently you need to register for a camping permit prior to you getting there . All things I'm sure we can deal with if we are keen enough !

Epicskwid

Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:40 pm

I'm keen for any trips we can set up, especially new spots with new opportunities.
Porere looks like a great spot , tons of structure a real possibility for kayak tarakihi i'm after along with blue cod and gurnard.
Tongoio in that size swell was an easy launch the area is lovely, in season the gurnard are around along with snapper and the moki too , who knows what could pop up. Spring has sprung and i'll be heading out as much as possible !!

Good on you for getting out for a cast too herman, hawkes bay is very much hit and miss off the beach. Right place right time that bait was out there.
After seeing what's possible with different baits i'll be adding paddle crab to my arsenal, While i was sitting on a reef i had mussel and prawns down for the moki im after too. Lets get into it some more! Some more guys to tag along would be nice too
Cheers :y:
Viking ProFish 400 Lite
Catch 290 [Retired]

Kayak PB's
1.7kg Snapper - Clifton

• Information