Whats goin ' on ?

Hawkes Baydiscussions, for local trips, meetings etc.
hermodo
Kayak Make: ocean kayak
Kayak Model: 4.1 ultra
VHF Call Sign: -

Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:37 pm

Last week one of the Pania surfcasting boys caught a kingfish off the beach at Awatoto ! Yes it was Caine Wrigglesworth, one of the top rated surfcasters in the bay , maybe the country , but what's a kingi doing there in the first place ? Furthermore , there are kings' being caught further out too , and , wait theres more ,..... Reports of snapper off Waimarama . What's goin' on I ask?
At the National Aquarium the oceanarium is 17 degrees. Somewhat warmer than the sea because it isn't exposed to weather , but none the less, warm for this time of year. So in Hawkes bay it's unseasonally warm.
A recent discussion I had with Richard Robinson , a well known underwater photographer who lives north of Auckland indicates quite the opposite in northern waters, and several of his projects have been stalled because this year, apparently , the warm currents and the tropical fish they deliver have been lacking! So, in an attempt to prompt a midwinter media frenzy , I put the question to you once more .
Whats goin' on .........?

Epicskwid
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: ProFish 400 Lite

Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:30 pm

All of the cyclones we had come through could have something to do with it. They are still catching marlin in the far north.

Haven't managed to get out on the water since early may. Today was a good day for it. but it's been a busy week for us in the whiting clan. Looks like a nice day for it tomorrow too maybe i'll have a go out there somewhere if i can be organised enough. My plan for the next few months is to target some different species. Blue Moki is one i want to tick off.
Viking ProFish 400 Lite
Catch 290 [Retired]

Kayak PB's
2.2kg Blue Cod- Golden Bay
1.2kg Gurnard - Okiwi Bay
1.7kg Snapper - Clifton
1.3kg John Dory - New Plymouth Port
3.2kg Kahawai - Hawkes Bay Port
2.1kg Trevally - Taylors Bay Mahia
35cm Tarakihi - Whangawehi Mahia

hermodo

Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:14 pm

yeah ,I got out there yesterday, just for a paddle in my "toy boat", conditions were really good.
Moki has been on my surfcasting list for some time . Last winter I got a couple of undersize ones but have yet to crack that 40cm limit. They are weed & shellfish eaters , preferring the colder water , and reef areas . I have seen numerous Moki caught on the town reef , mostly at dusk.

Epicskwid

Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:37 pm

When do you think we could do our tour at the aquarium herman? I'm also hoping to make a mid year trip up to mahia, also went out to flat rock near whirinaki yesterday for a drive. Looks like a promising area for a fish especially the reef for the moki i'm after
Viking ProFish 400 Lite
Catch 290 [Retired]

Kayak PB's
1.7kg Snapper - Clifton

hermodo

Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:05 pm

I haven't been home much lately , I'm house sitting in Havelock , and driving or flying to Auckland whenever I can , so the Aquarium trip is still just an idea, a live one , but as I say, underdone at this point . Any visit would be dependant on when my weekend shift falls .
The water in the oceanarium is about 17 degrees at present , so not too cold , making a" swim with the sharks " option a possibility, but for limited numbers of course , and there may be a cost, but it would liven up a dull winters day !!! just so you don't feel too intimidated , our biggest shark is a 4metre seven gill female we call Sarah, who our divers hand feed! ( yes , everyone has all their fingers!).
Another thing ,which I just learnt , is that crayfish don't get old ! They just get bigger and stronger all their lives , lacking the DNA cells that cause cell degeneration ( ageing ). Scientists call this" biological immortality ", and there are species of jelly fish too that can revert back to polyps, from which they originated ! In case you hadn't guessed , Im enjoying my job!

Ginja
Kayak Model: GT

Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:05 pm

Epicskwid wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:37 pm
When do you think we could do our tour at the aquarium herman? I'm also hoping to make a mid year trip up to mahia, also went out to flat rock near whirinaki yesterday for a drive. Looks like a promising area for a fish especially the reef for the moki i'm after
Just a heads up on Mahia for anyone planning a trip I have heard a rumour the campground is closed indefinitely not sure if it will be open later in the year.

SnapperHead

Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:22 pm

Im a keen surfcaster and have been targeting kingies from the sand for a good few years now. Just behind the surfline is where they are mostly caught. During whitebait season the river mouths are a good place cause the whole food chain is there and very active. Kingies are off our beaches all year round, just a bit slower in winter, but they are there.

Epicskwid

Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:03 am

When the opportunity comes (not much time for it at the moment) i would like to do a trip out at awatoto. put a live mullet out and see if i can get into a kingie off the yak. Seen plenty of action on the baitfish out at clifton some huge splashes sometimes which i'd assume were kingfish.

Ginja i heard about that, we have a house we can stay in up there, got my plan on what i want to do up there, just gotta make the trip now.

And hopefully i'll be fishing somewhere soon , getting withdrawals :sweat:
Viking ProFish 400 Lite
Catch 290 [Retired]

Kayak PB's
1.7kg Snapper - Clifton

• Information