New to the region

Hawkes Baydiscussions, for local trips, meetings etc.
Kent
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400

Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:43 pm

So I've recently moved to Hawke's bay and looking to meet up with some fellow kayak fishos. Hopefully someone might be willing to show me some spots to fish or spots to avoid. Im based in Napier so if anyone is heading out and wouldn't mind a tag along give me a holla.

trophyfish
Kayak Make: Ocean kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra 4.3

Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:04 am

Welcome to Napier, there are quite a few of us that head out here. Not so much during the winter months, but there is still good fishing most places. Just have to keep away from the spineys!! :swear: . I will be heading out soon from the small beach near the port in the next few weeks, feel free to contact. :call: 027 212 6642

Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3

Epicskwid
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: ProFish 400 Lite

Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:01 pm

Nice to see a new face around. I'll give you a bit of intro to the area
Our main launch spots are:

Napier port
Accessed from breakwater road near Ahuriri. You will find good numbers of kahawai year round and the odd gurnard over summer, kingfish and snapper make an appearance too. Out further is where Pania reef is located which holds big numbers of kingfish over summer. Launching is always calm no matter what the conditions are since it is so sheltered.

Te Awanga Beach
This is the most southern area inside the main Hawkes bay we fish, you can access it by turning off of Clifton terrace and onto Wellwood terrace where there is a great launch spot near the Maraetotara river mouth. Most flat weekends you will find kayakers over summer, the main catch are pan sized snapper from 30 - 45cm , trevally, kahawai and many other species will turn up. You never quite know what you will catch. Further along the road you can launch from Clifton motor camp too.

Tangoio Beach
This great little beach allows some deeper water without too much of a paddle. You can get there off state highway 2 and onto Tangoio settlement road. With a small swell launching is easy and the fishing in this area is very good.It is one of the more consistent Gurnard spots along with Blue cod, Snapper, Kahawai and especially Large Kingfish from December to march. Skipjack Tuna are even possible February to March.

I usually am out at every opportunity when there is a 5 knot forecast and swell below 1m. An easy way to contact me is on my facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/BlairWhitingFishing/

One thing to keep in mind our fishing slows down from June - August since the bottom becomes covered with spiny dogfish. It's still worth having a go in winter though!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-07-28 at 3.00.34 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-28 at 3.00.34 PM.png (1.08 MiB) Viewed 422 times
Viking ProFish 400 Lite
Catch 290 [Retired]

Kayak PB's
15.1kg Yellowtail Kingfish - Tongoio Beach
3.2kg Kahawai - Hawkes Bay Port
2.2kg Blue Cod- Golden Bay
2.1kg Trevally - Taylors Bay Mahia
1.7kg Snapper - Clifton
1.2kg Gurnard - Okiwi Bay
1.3kg John Dory - Taranaki Port
0.82kg Tarakihi - Whangawehi Mahia

RJ
Kayak Make: ocean kayak
Kayak Model: ultra 4.7

Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:17 am

Welcome to the area

hermodo
Kayak Make: ocean kayak
Kayak Model: 4.1 ultra
VHF Call Sign: -

Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:02 pm

Hi Kent ,I'm Herman ,or as my persona on this forum , "Hermodo", a tag cruelly applied to me by my son shortly after "the Lord of the Rings " trilogy, which has stuck like baby shit to a blanket!
I mainly fish out of the Port because its so close to home and easy launching , all weather really, Basically I don't worry too much about huge catch rates , and enjoy being on the water , a good full bag is a bonus . I like to do the occasional trip to Mahia , and I'm getting the gear ready for the new season , I fish out of a 4.1 ultra , ocean kayak , nice blue little number , suits me !
027 283 1735 if you want to contact me, cheers !

• Information