Porangahau

Hawkes Baydiscussions, for local trips, meetings etc.
hermodo
Kayak Make: ocean kayak
Kayak Model: 4.1 ultra
VHF Call Sign: -

Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:56 pm

I had the rare chance of a weekend off ,& my wife was away. Brilliant. I chose to have a nosey round Central Hawkes Bay. The camping options on Pourere meant paying a $35 fee ,and registering with the council, no freedom camping. Porongahau on the other hand boasts both a motor camp, and freedom camping. I chose the latter , since I was only doing one night in the van. Drinking water ,& clean flush toilets, & easy beach access at the north end of the beach.
I chose to surf cast , and didn't even take my kayak.Early morning and evening fishing are the go, since it is too windy (and hot) during the day , and altho there was no significant swell , at no time would you have got a yak in , or more specifically, out ! Flat wide open beach, with a huge tidal fall means constant surf, and out wide the sea is very exposed.
Fishing for me was poor, with only a couple of small KY, but deep channels run parallel to the beach, and there are gurnard , and smooth hound to be had in there. The fisherfolk I spoke to weren't doing so well either but most of them regarded it as a good fishing beach, and I ran into my old mate Gary Kemsley , who was fishing 2 rods at the north end of the beach, confident of catching gurnard. I left him to it because while we were chatting my dog rolled in a dead rotting shark, so I had other things on my mind for a bit! I may leave him behind next time , because he tried to eat the bait constantly, and I couldn't let him off because he would make a B line for some one else's bait. Anyway , the upshot of this little venture was , don't hold your breath to kayak fish CHB , but its a nice place to visit,& surf cast .

• Information