Where to go from Hamilton?

The Waikato Kayak Fishing Club forum for club and member discussions
BeauJangles
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: Dont have one

Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:27 am

Hi,

New to the forum and kayak fishing in general. This forum looks pretty kick ass with all sort of information so I can tell I will be spending some time here :rock:

Have been keeping my Yak with buddies up in south Auckland for the past year and we generally go out from Orere point when we head out. I've brought my Yak back home to stay with me so I can do mods, and head out on my own when I can.

Just wondering, where do people based in the Waikato generally go out? I have seen the firth of Thames mentioned a few times and I was wondering if anyone had any success in Raglan or Waihi?

Thanks in advance!

Smitty
Kayak Model: Profish

Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:46 pm

Horses for Courses I think. I like fishing Manu Bay beacuse its close as you gennerall can get a feed of Gurnard as well as there being Snapper and other species, I'm not a fan of Raglan and other West Coast harbours but I know others are and they can fish well at certain times of the year. I think most Hamilton fishos head to Firth and Coromandel which I also enjoy for the softbaituing aspect whereas I have found Manu Bay is better with stink bait.

I haven't tried Waihi yet but heard its good for a few gurnard and snapper too!

BeauJangles
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: Dont have one

Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:32 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. Think I am going to try Wilsons bay this weekend if the weather holds up!

• Information