Hobie Mirage Drive VS paddling Tug of war

A special section for the Hobie paddlers and peddlers of New Zealand
THE WATER SHED
Kayak Make: HOBIE
Kayak Model: ADVENTURE ISLAND

Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:54 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0rvFdLdplA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This was done with Version 1 Drive We now sell the Version 2 and we also do Turbo fins as well which offer even more speed and power.

Another great reason to make the switch.

sk8e8
Kayak Make: Extreme
Kayak Model: Game King

Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:08 am

My biggest reason for not switching is the weight factor. I'd never want to try get one of these onto a mothership.

Sent from my iPhone
Jigheads Paddling and Fishing Team Member
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Extreme 605
Yamaha FXHO * Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420

paddlesnap
Kayak Make: QK/Ron Augustin
Kayak Model: Torres/Seabear/ Albatross etc.

Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:10 am

[quote="sk8e8"]My biggest reason for not switching is the weight factor. I'd never want to try get one of these onto a mothership.

They are the Mothership :D

AndrewRawlingson

Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:52 am

Very interesting, thanks for posting.

sk8e8
Kayak Make: Extreme
Kayak Model: Game King

Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:29 am

paddlesnap wrote:
sk8e8 wrote:My biggest reason for not switching is the weight factor. I'd never want to try get one of these onto a mothership.

They are the Mothership :D
I think even you'd struggle to get it out to White Island for a few days fishing :P
Jigheads Paddling and Fishing Team Member
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Extreme 605
Yamaha FXHO * Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420

Kerry
Kayak Make: Old town
Kayak Model: Predator PDL

Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:42 am

It's interesting , the mirage drive obviously has more torque than using a paddle but that doesn't nesserally mean that it is faster, put the two kayaks side by side and then compare ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FatherOfMany
Kayak Make: Old Town
Kayak Model: Predator XL Petrol
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9858

Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:49 am

I had the same thought Kerry, but then looking at the vids it looks like they do pick up some good speed.
----------------------------------------------------
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13
OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #1, OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #2

PB: Snapper=66cm, J.D.=39cm, Gurnard=38cm

VHF Callsign: ZMW 9858

Kayak Fishing Auckland

Limitless
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish, Espri, 2+1
VHF Call Sign: Limitless

Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:57 pm

Both systems (paddle and pedal) have their advantages, so like most things kayaking its a case of trialling them to see if they suit your purposes. The trick is to make sure the tests are carried out in conditions and circumstances that are typical of your usual on-water sessions (wind, wave, and preferred fishing techniques).

I've had a play with an older first version of the Mirage Drive in the salt in Northland, and also in fresh water here in the Waikato. It was remarkably efficient, and I understand the second version with Turbo Fins is even better. For those new on the water pedal systems can offer speed and endurance advantages because they use larger leg muscles that have probably had more work than arm muscles. It's also very cool when deploying and working lures to have both hands free. On the balance side there's still need for a paddle to reverse out of situations (a snapper dragging you into the foul makes life exciting). Using your arms and a paddle also makes it easier using draw and turn strokes to precisely position your kayak when hunting fish with a sounder (this is important to my preferred style of fishing), and some paddlers find bracing with arms and paddle as they move along makes them more comfortable in choppy conditions.

Again the message is to give it a go to find out what suits and works best for you - good on The Water Shed for making this possible :y:
ZMS8574 LIMA INDIA MIKE INDIA TANGO LIMA ECHO SIERRA SIERRA - practised your phonetic alphabet yet?
The current fleet: Profish Reload, Profish GT, Profish 400 Lite
The historic fleet: too many to mention... the adventures since 1974 have seen lots of kayak carnage
Find me at Viking Kayaks in Matamata... you gotta love our sport!

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:06 pm

Limitless wrote: to have both hands free.
Much easier to roll a smoke aye :!:

Limitless
Kayak Model: Profish, Espri, 2+1
VHF Call Sign: Limitless

Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:27 pm

awondering wrote:
Limitless wrote: to have both hands free.
Much easier to roll a smoke aye :!:
:lol: and for a mate of mine with an English accent who just has to have his Thermos for a cuppa tea :coffee: :rofl:
ZMS8574 LIMA INDIA MIKE INDIA TANGO LIMA ECHO SIERRA SIERRA - practised your phonetic alphabet yet?
The current fleet: Profish Reload, Profish GT, Profish 400 Lite
The historic fleet: too many to mention... the adventures since 1974 have seen lots of kayak carnage
Find me at Viking Kayaks in Matamata... you gotta love our sport!

THE WATER SHED
Kayak Make: HOBIE
Kayak Model: ADVENTURE ISLAND

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:21 pm

Great to get peoples ideas thats what this site is all about. We love the Mirage drive but we also do a range of Paddle Yaks as well which glide through the water quit nice as well. Any one who wants to try a Hobie just ask we are happy to help.

Gannet73
Kayak Make: Hobie
Kayak Model: Sail Yak

Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:14 pm

peddle paddle why bother.... just go fishing with Kerry... think i was doing 6 knots towed behind the man...
Attachments
GOPR3648.JPG
one fast hobie

AndrewRawlingson

Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:52 am

Kerry wrote:It's interesting , the mirage drive obviously has more torque than using a paddle but that doesn't nesserally mean that it is faster, put the two kayaks side by side and then compare ....
just a thought, although torque doesn't mean speed, torque would mean better progress against the elements, like current or a head wind???

MikeAqua
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:24 pm

Torque is how much force you can exert around a point.

Very simply, the more force you can exert, the larger the opposing force (e.g. current) you can move against.

The effective current you experience depends on how fast it is and the shape and area of the kayak hull.

Moving against a current over a distance is work.

When you bring in how fast you can move against the current you are talking about power.
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

paddlesnap
Kayak Make: QK/Ron Augustin
Kayak Model: Torres/Seabear/ Albatross etc.

Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:50 pm

:^) if you're talking basic Physics -
The Hobie probably weighs twice as much and also has two paddles constantly moving driving off both faces as they oscillate .
The normal kayak paddles have the loss of traction between strokes but once the hull is moving it would rapidly accelerate as fast as the hull is driven and would leave it for dead.
Bit like a tug boat with low down thrust power versus a high speed racing boat , the fast one would sit and cavitate and get towed .

Therefore not a fair representation-

• Information