The Most Dolphin Encounters On A Kayak

Grab some popcorn, dim the lights, sit down on the couch and watch some kayak fishing videos.
Kayak Rob
Kayak Make: Old Town & Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Predator PDL, Trident 15
VHF Call Sign: Kayak Rob or ZMS6165

Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:05 pm

Here's a video that I've been sitting on for a while and shows some New Zealand dolphin encounters from the Old Town Predator PDL kayak. Since using pedal powered kayaks the number of encounters with these marine mammals is amazing and something I've never been able to experience on this kind of level.
Apparently I'm not the only one who has had this since using the PDL and after talking to Kerry Flowers about this he reckons the same since owning one,
Anyway some cool interaction and being able to hold the camera below the kayak and above has meant its easier to capture the action, enjoy
Kayak fishing is life

Rob Fort
NZ Kayak Fishing
Award winning video: https://www.youtube.com/user/NZkayakfishing
http://www.yakfishnz.com
Rob Fort Series http://robfortseries.co.nz/

Old Town, Ocean Kayak & Humminbird Pro Team member, supported by: Sharkskin, Maxel, Jigstar, Gamakatsu, Abu Garcia, Berkley, Salt A-Way, NZ Bay Fisher, Neptune, Pelaj, Railblaza, Zest

Kayak Rob

Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:22 pm

Am I the only one enjoying such interactions with dolphins or has anyone else had similar experiences.

Keen to hear about them and if it has been when paddling or using a pedal or electric motor?
Kayak fishing is life

Rob Fort
NZ Kayak Fishing

Old Town, Ocean Kayak & Humminbird Pro Team member, supported by: Sharkskin, Maxel, Jigstar, Gamakatsu, Abu Garcia, Berkley, Salt A-Way, NZ Bay Fisher, Neptune, Pelaj, Railblaza, Zest

DocProfit
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload

Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:14 am

Never seen a dolphin around Auckland.

I paddle a Reload.

I think I'd shit myself if that many huge dolphins came in close like that. :worried:

AndrewRawlingson

Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:26 am

Kayak Rob wrote:Am I the only one enjoying such interactions with dolphins or has anyone else had similar experiences.

Keen to hear about them and if it has been when paddling or using a pedal or electric motor?
Always a buzz to see them. On my first trip out on the jet ski, I had a pod riding the bow wave within 5 minutes of launching. Pretty cool.

JUMBOZ
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW6161

Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:17 pm

was out from wilsons bay last friday morning when a big pod went pass- hell they big when they came up beside the yak-real neat to see and great to see they not frighten by the kayaks

dedant
Kayak Make: Jackson Kayaks
Kayak Model: Kraken
VHF Call Sign: ZMU5052

Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:59 pm

I've experienced dolphin right off Narrow Neck. Pre dawn, no warning ,just a few strokes into the paddle and boom they were there! One kept crossing in front of me and splashing with its tail flukes. I am sure it was deliberate but I don't know why? I tried to video it all but only got bouncing ship lights and darkness , was cool though. :)

Jackson KRAKEN dedant

Peace
Kayak Make: Barracuda
Kayak Model: SOT Fishing Pro
VHF Call Sign: ZMW5048

Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:29 pm

i've had a few Whale encounter but not any with dolphins

TwoSpoons
Kayak Make: CLC boats
Kayak Model: Sea Island Sport
VHF Call Sign: ZMW5652

Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:27 am

I was fishing a couple of km's south of Port Waikato when I had a seal come over to see what I was up to. He just sat in the water for 5 minutes eyeballing me from about 1.5m away. Finally lost interest and headed off - doing his own spot of fishing!
Haven't seen a dolphin yet.
Electronics : its still magic, even when you know how its done.
ZMW5652

FatherOfMany
Kayak Make: Old Town
Kayak Model: Predator XL Petrol
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9858

Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:56 pm

TwoSpoons wrote:I was fishing a couple of km's south of Port Waikato when I had a seal come over to see what I was up to. He just sat in the water for 5 minutes eyeballing me from about 1.5m away. Finally lost interest and headed off - doing his own spot of fishing!
Yip, I had a seal encounter at Bottle Top Bay. I was in the OK Prowler 4.5 which I never felt terribly stable in and we had both seen each other long time ago, but at one point I must have come a bit close to the seal and it "barked" quite aggressively at me when it saw me... Almost had me a turtle right there.
----------------------------------------------------
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13
OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #1, OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #2

PB: Snapper=66cm, J.D.=39cm, Gurnard=38cm

VHF Callsign: ZMW 9858

Kayak Fishing Auckland

Hodgey
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: ultra
VHF Call Sign: Hodgey

Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:32 pm

Hey Rob and Janet

What a cool buzz having the dolphins come to play.

I've had quite a few encounters when paddling - they cruise in and check me out when paddling but haven't hung around for a play. This has happened at Paps, Wilsons, Opito, and a couple of Spot X's :geek:

One time at Matapaua a lone Bottlenose (much bigger dolphin) gave me the time to chuck my dive mask on and slip off the yak into the water with it. For a few minutes it hung around me, at one point we were floating face to face about 1m apart!!

Have also had an Orca encounter at Goat Bay. Two of them came to say hello. Did a few laps around the yak, a swim under and turn on their side to look at me then off they went again. Was awesome.

Kayak Rob

Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:14 am

Some awesome experiences shared and great to read.
DocProfit wrote:Never seen a dolphin around Auckland.
I paddle a Reload.
I think I'd shit myself if that many huge dolphins came in close like that. :worried:
No need for concern when you do come across dolphins as they are very gentle unlike the other mammals who are more common on the water and in large numbers using boats. Best thing to be when you do see a dolphin is remain calm and enjoy the experience.
Peace wrote:i've had a few Whale encounter but not any with dolphins
Wow now that's something I've yet to have happen with the exception of killer whales.
dedant wrote:I've experienced dolphin right off Narrow Neck. Pre dawn, no warning ,just a few strokes into the paddle and boom they were there! One kept crossing in front of me and splashing with its tail flukes. I am sure it was deliberate but I don't know why? I tried to video it all but only got bouncing ship lights and darkness , was cool though. :)
Yep have also had this happen to me and after doing research on this behavior it seems this is a warning to back off or get away from them as they could be either mating or have young ones with them.
FatherOfMany wrote:
TwoSpoons wrote:I was fishing a couple of km's south of Port Waikato when I had a seal come over to see what I was up to. He just sat in the water for 5 minutes eyeballing me from about 1.5m away. Finally lost interest and headed off - doing his own spot of fishing!
Yip, I had a seal encounter at Bottle Top Bay. I was in the OK Prowler 4.5 which I never felt terribly stable in and we had both seen each other long time ago, but at one point I must have come a bit close to the seal and it "barked" quite aggressively at me when it saw me... Almost had me a turtle right there.
Seen plenty of seals also including when diving some are quite aggressive at times buzzing me close. Always cautious of them trying to get on the kayak to but most seem to shy away from the kayak.
Hodgey wrote:Hey Rob and Janet
What a cool buzz having the dolphins come to play.
I've had quite a few encounters when paddling - they cruise in and check me out when paddling but haven't hung around for a play. This has happened at Paps, Wilsons, Opito, and a couple of Spot X's :geek:
One time at Matapaua a lone Bottlenose (much bigger dolphin) gave me the time to chuck my dive mask on and slip off the yak into the water with it. For a few minutes it hung around me, at one point we were floating face to face about 1m apart!!
Have also had an Orca encounter at Goat Bay. Two of them came to say hello. Did a few laps around the yak, a swim under and turn on their side to look at me then off they went again. Was awesome.
Some very cool encounters there Hodgey Orca are always good at getting the heart rate up and a very big animal.
Kayak fishing is life

Rob Fort
NZ Kayak Fishing

• Information