Paravane as a downrigger

Section for the discussion of freshwater fishing from your kayak
Jez
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400

Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:58 am

Has anyone used a downrigger clip off the back of a paravane?

I figure paddling along with a paravane might be a lot easier than dragging a lead ball along the lake. I'm looking to get back to Lake Wakatipu on the kayak after a great session on a mates boat there at the weekend where we learnt the salmon are a bit deeper than the trout, hence the ideas about downriggers and paravanes being used to target the salmon without having to resort to leadline.

It would also be ideal for a couple of other lakes where you cant use motors of any kind down this way.
For all the fishing methods, tips, and tricks out there, the most important is that the hook is wet ...

paddlesnap
Kayak Make: QK/Ron Augustin
Kayak Model: Torres/Seabear/ Albatross etc.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:05 am

I got a small yellow one to try but havn't bothered as other trolling techniques seemed to work , simpler and less to get snarled, esp. with big rampaging pelagics.
Did use them in river mouth currents as a kid and there's a fair bit of drag even in a smallish one and from experience paddling out my Dads Setline on a landline reel the drag pulls you back on each pause between paddle strokes .
A paravane probably works better with a steady continuous pull like in the current or towed by outboard motor, as the surging of paddling would twitch & pause it, causing potential tangles , diving and rising if you stop- plus wear you out quick.
Be interested to hear how you get on though .

kai-yak
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400 lite
VHF Call Sign: -

Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:58 pm

Not legal in my neck of the woods might pay to check you local regs before using.
Personally I use 5 colours of lead line and if the trout are deeper than that I jig for them.

Hope this helps
Aaron

Jez
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400

Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:43 am

Paravane works a treat!!! (legal down this way)

Only tricky part was getting the original line out for a start, was using a flyrod so just cast out as far as I could, then striped out a little more line, clipped that to the downrigger clip, then slowly paddled forward as the paravane dropped down to about 10 meters ... learnt very quickly to crank the drag on the fly reel back up when you have reached the desired depth, the salmon got a free 30 meters before i realised.

Barely noticed it when paddling, but I was only pushing along about walking speed anyway (never tend to go much faster than that when chasing trout even on the boat), and maybe I was lucky, but didn't have any issues with tangles when bringing a trout or salmon (small land locked salmon up to 4lb, not the big sea run variety).
For all the fishing methods, tips, and tricks out there, the most important is that the hook is wet ...

kai-yak
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400 lite
VHF Call Sign: -

Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:37 pm

kai-yak wrote:Not legal in my neck of the woods might pay to check you local regs before using.
Personally I use 5 colours of lead line and if the trout are deeper than that I jig for them.

Hope this helps
Aaron
A quick look at the rules and it looks like they are legal here except Waikaremoana
Something to think about :?: a plan is forming...lol :y:

4. AUTHORISED TACKLE
4.1 No licence holder shall fish for sports fish with a set rod unless he
or she is fishing from a boat.
4.2 Downriggers, paravanes and metal cored or wire lines are prohibited
in Lakes Waikaremoana and Waikareiti.

• Information