An Amazing day at the Mouth

Section for the discussion of freshwater fishing from your kayak
Jezza
Kayak Make: Cobra
Kayak Model: Marauder
VHF Call Sign: JEZZA

Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:23 pm

I will be frequent to this section, I spend a lot of my time fishing the lakes and rivers around central south Island, Otago and Southland, and I know the areas very well.

Today the weather was perfect! I Left for Taieri Mouth at about 11am, knowing the tide was still coming in and would do so for most the afternoon.

I launched near the Beach and just drifted down the gorge on the incoming tide.

I was fishing 3" Gulp minnows on 1/6oz Nitro Jig heads, purely because it had never been done. It worked really well, I had multiple hook ups, and landed 2 very decent sea run brown trout.

By about 3.30 the tide was going out and I drifted back to where i started, I hooked up another 2 times on the way, one very big fish, and right in front of some very interested white baiter's. but to much displeasure i was not able to land anything.
Attachments
SAM_0092.jpg
SAM_0093.jpg
SAM_0094.jpg
SAM_0096.jpg
SAM_0105.jpg
SAM_0110.jpg
SAM_0112.jpg
SAM_0115.jpg
SAM_0116.jpg
SAM_0116.jpg (98.03 KiB) Viewed 3447 times
SAM_0118.jpg

Jezza

Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:32 pm

more
Attachments
SAM_0125.jpg
113.jpg
113.jpg (126.38 KiB) Viewed 3439 times
SAM_0128.jpg
SAM_0103.jpg

Big k
Kayak Make: Vicking /Stealth / OK
Kayak Model: 440. / 4.7 / 495
VHF Call Sign: ZMU 3384

Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:38 am

Cool photos and nice post well done great to try new ideas ,you might start something there,look forward to more reports cheers

Viking 440
OK 4.7 ultra arrived
Stealth EVO 495 gone
Stealth Carbon Kevlar 495 arrived
ZMU3384

Legasea supporter

awondering
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:41 am

Nice TR there mate :y:

YakFisho Snapps
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 495,BFS..
VHF Call Sign: Yakfisho Snapps

Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:06 am

Great pics and tr well done :y:...

Kerry
Kayak Make: Old town
Kayak Model: Predator PDL

Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:58 pm

Nicely done :y: its good to see somithing a bit different :clap:

Fletcher
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9362

Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:21 pm

Nice work :y: Fishing fresh water from a kayak is awesome.
Yak PBs. | Snapper: 20.7lb | Trevally: 11lb | Kingfish: 13kg | Brown Trout: 5.5lb | Albacore Tuna: 4.6kg | John Dory: 2.0lb | Blue Cod: 34cm | Skipjack Tuna: 4.4lb | Eagle Ray: 10kgish | Red Snapper: 4.1lb | Grandfather Hapuka: 7.1lb | Pigfish: 3.7lb |

charlie
Kayak Make: Hobie
Kayak Model: 2010 Outback
VHF Call Sign: none

Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:47 pm

Great report, amazing river mouth. I would love to have a crack at some sea runs one day.
Profish 400 Lite
There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing around in kayaks.
with apologies to Kenneth Grahame

Jez
Kayak Model: Profish 400

Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:42 pm

I have been skunked twice at the Oreti River mouth trying the same as you have, I am off to Waituna Lagoon as soon as I get home from work to work some creek mouths from the kayak until dark tonight (being opening day for the lagoon), if you ever want a paddling/fishing partner when you hit some of the lakes drop us a message. If it is a weekend I'm always keen to get out (provided im not on call for work) dont care about the weather generally, just hate the wind.
For all the fishing methods, tips, and tricks out there, the most important is that the hook is wet ...

Jezza

Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:11 pm

Jez wrote:I have been skunked twice at the Oreti River mouth trying the same as you have, I am off to Waituna Lagoon as soon as I get home from work to work some creek mouths from the kayak until dark tonight (being opening day for the lagoon), if you ever want a paddling/fishing partner when you hit some of the lakes drop us a message. If it is a weekend I'm always keen to get out (provided im not on call for work) dont care about the weather generally, just hate the wind.

Sounds great,

I have the rest of the week off work for openning season, Ill be hitting up a few lakes this week. heading to clutha to do a fishing comp my mate is organising this weekend also. its going to be a great week.

Im going to be out fishing most weekends, and I have always been keen to hit up the Oeiti, and im keen to Flyfish the Arapima also. could be good to get some local knowledge, I can offer the same up here in Dunedin/otago. :)

If your keen to bring your kayak up to dunedin over the summer, i have plans to catch some Salmon in the Habour.

Jez
Kayak Model: Profish 400

Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:25 pm

I was gonna head to Northern Southland this weekend with the kids for some camping (read that as kids whining, while im fishing) but the weather forecast doesnt look flash, so the kids may have to stay at home ;)

Im planning on learning a lot more about the Aparima this season, had some great nights there with the fly rod last year (and it tends to clear a lot faster than the other rivers in Southland after rain). I'm generally on the Oreti most weeknights cause its close to home, and head to Aparima or Mataura on the weekends, although that may change with the kayak, i'll want to be getting some use out of that as well this summer, and chasing salmon in the harbour up there sounds like a grand plan.

I'll pm you my cell number, flick us a text or call when you head down this way for a fish, I'll talk to my wife about a trip to Dunedin on labour weekend, she's always keen to visit Cadbury ;)
For all the fishing methods, tips, and tricks out there, the most important is that the hook is wet ...

Wondaboy

Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:17 pm

Ahhh the Tairei river, my home patch. gotta love them searun browns. much of my miss spent youth was fishing down there. Good times :rock: nice fish

couda
Kayak Make: ocean kayak
Kayak Model: Scupper/cabo/sprinter
VHF Call Sign: not registered yet

Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:13 pm

Nice pics, Its worth experimenting with the softbaits, as it’s amazing what patterns those estuary/sea runs go for on the Taieri. Ive been softbaiting the Taieri River from my yak for 5+years plus years and I’ve hooked up nice trout on nuclear chicken gulp with a florescent yellow jig head as well as big 6 inch blue gladiator baits. We are pretty spoilt for choice in Otago with a heap of perfect kayak fishing rivers to kayak fish like the Clutha, Shag,Waikouaiti and Taieri. Hope to catch you out there, Couda
Ocean Kayak Sprinter,
Scupper and Cabo

KayakFishingOtago

• Information