Lake Rotorua Anzac Day

Section for the discussion of freshwater fishing from your kayak
kai-yak
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400 lite
VHF Call Sign: -

Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:13 pm

7.00am from Mission bay if anyone is interested. Just and early morning Harl down towards the pins.

kai-yak

Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:32 pm

had a ball on Anzac day caught 3 nice fish dropped a couple more, think I got the paddle trolling sorted now :y:

Fletcher
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9362

Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:46 pm

Good stuff. I have been wanting to try Lake Rotoiti, do you know of any good launch spots?
Yak PBs. | Snapper: 20.7lb | Trevally: 11lb | Kingfish: 13kg | Brown Trout: 5.5lb | Albacore Tuna: 4.6kg | John Dory: 2.0lb | Blue Cod: 34cm | Skipjack Tuna: 4.4lb | Eagle Ray: 10kgish | Red Snapper: 4.1lb | Grandfather Hapuka: 7.1lb | Pigfish: 3.7lb |

Yakfisherkarl
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish
VHF Call Sign: ZMT 2691

Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:51 pm

Well done, hope you guys are up for the Kai Iwi Comp in July.
Cheers
Karl

Karl Pereira
President and Vice Treasurer
Northland Kayak Fishing Club Inc
http://www.northlandyakfishers.org.nz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Facebook page - Nkfc NZ
Email northlandyakfishers@gmail.com

kai-yak

Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:01 pm

Fletcher wrote:Good stuff. I have been wanting to try Lake Rotoiti, do you know of any good launch spots?
Either Ruato bay( opposite Okataina turn off), harl up to Hauparu bay first light or dusk or Gisborne point and harl down to Emerys reef again first light or dusk would be my pick at the moment
http://www.fishing.net.nz/index.cfm/pag ... rtID/3413/

charlie
Kayak Make: Hobie
Kayak Model: 2010 Outback
VHF Call Sign: none

Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:07 pm

Either Ruato bay( opposite Okataina turn off), harl up to Hauparu bay first light or dusk or Gisborne point and harl down to Emerys reef again first light or dusk would be my pick at the moment
Sounds like pretty good advise to me. Also worth trying is launching around by the Pipe - turn left off the Rotorua Whakatane road at the Eastern end of the lake then drive up to the picnic area at the end of the road. Launch there and follow Eastern shore line back toward the Northern end of the lake.

I have had some success harling over the weed beds at Okataina in recent weeks also. Dont have to go far, paddle out from the beach and head to the left, follow the weed beds in around 4 - 6 metres out around Maori Point and back. Fish are there on and off all day. Going to try Okareka tomorrow as it might be a bit windy fr the bigger lakes.
Profish 400 Lite
There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing around in kayaks.
with apologies to Kenneth Grahame

kai-yak

Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:40 pm

[/quote] Sounds like pretty good advise to me. Also worth trying is launching around by the Pipe - turn left off the Rotorua Whakatane road at the Eastern end of the lake then drive up to the picnic area at the end of the road. Launch there and follow Eastern shore line back toward the Northern end of the lake.

I have had some success harling over the weed beds at Okataina in recent weeks also. Dont have to go far, paddle out from the beach and head to the left, follow the weed beds in around 4 - 6 metres out around Maori Point and back. Fish are there on and off all day. Going to try Okareka tomorrow as it might be a bit windy fr the bigger lakes.[/quote]

I could be keen on a paddle on okareka tomorrow afternoon if you want to meet up I have to work in the morning

charlie
Kayak Make: Hobie
Kayak Model: 2010 Outback
VHF Call Sign: none

Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:51 pm

Cool I will get there in the morning and launch from the ramp by the jetty then paddle out of the bay around to the right and head toward Southwest end of the lake. Around where the walkway is. There is a big weed bed there, will just harl around there. What time do you think you will get there? I have a VHF radio and will be on channel 8 if thats any help. Do you have a cellphone I can give you a bell on tomorrow on my way through Vegas? Hope to catch up.
Profish 400 Lite
There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing around in kayaks.
with apologies to Kenneth Grahame

kai-yak

Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:11 am

I wont get there till about 3 pm got to do some family stuff first. ill PM you my cell number

MadMike
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak, Stealth
Kayak Model: Ultra 4.7, Stealth EVO 495

Wed May 09, 2012 7:50 pm

You guys tried harling one color out from the dump? get some good fish through there from now on. A little like the pipe its a release point and bulks up with good fish. had a 12lber out of there a few years back :D
Face book : http://www.facebook.com/TopCatchWhangarei" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Http://www.northlandangler.co.nz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stockist of, Ocean Kayaks, Old Town Kayaks, Phoenix Kayaks , Humminbird, Scotty, Rob Fort ACC and much much more!

• Information