How to let out trolling line

Section for the discussion of freshwater fishing from your kayak
kai-yak
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400 lite
VHF Call Sign: -

Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:33 pm

How do you let out a trolling line while paddling I have tried a few times and got frustrated and gave up. I have 2 setups one on a Alvey reel and one on a Levelwind reel both with Leadline.
Seems I have to paddle a bit pull off a bit of line paddle a bit more pull of more line etc not that easy

470Nitro
Kayak Make: Hobie
Kayak Model: Adventure

Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:45 pm

Get a Hobie with a Mirage drive - handsfree fishing! :-)

Kiwi K
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Old Town Predator 13

Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:38 pm

The way i usually do it is if i have an overhead that i am using is put it on freespool with my lure in the water and paddle for a few strokes, engage the drag/clicker (while in a drift and turning round to engage it) then let out the other lure while you still have foreword motion and keep the second line shorter than the first..if using rapala type lures make sure they dont have the same dive depth cuz if you make a turn you may end up with nannas knitting as the lines cross. Its a bit cumbersome but well worth the effort..even if you only put 1 line out.

Dale

Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3

kai-yak

Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:56 pm

lol a hobbie is out of the question all through I can see the advantages.
I don't have much trouble letting out bibbed lures on nylon but letting out a couple flies on a sinking line is another story.
I'm going to try shorten my trace a bit (it's bout 20m long from my boat fishing days) and look at my rod holder angle as well.

charlie
Kayak Make: Hobie
Kayak Model: 2010 Outback
VHF Call Sign: none

Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:34 pm

BIGAH, (before I got a Hobie) :) I had problems with sinking lines and flies also. Harling from a kayak you can get away with 30 odd foot of leader. Basically I used to strip the leader off and dump it in the the water after taking a few paddle strokes, once the leader had straightened out I would pull a bit of line off the reel in between taking a few more strokes. I would have the drag backed right off on a single action fly reel and once there was a bit of fly line on the water it would have sufficient grip to pull line off the reel I would then paddle like the clappers for the horizon until the line had run out to the backing then put the paddle down, pick up the rod and tighten the drag. My rod holder was directly in front of me and I would angle the rod back over my head. I paddle out into deeper water when running out line then come back around into shallow water to harl. Now that I have a Hobie thats all history and life is so much simpler :y: :y:
Profish 400 Lite
There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing around in kayaks.
with apologies to Kenneth Grahame

kai-yak

Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:38 pm

charlie wrote:BIGAH, (before I got a Hobie) :) I had problems with sinking lines and flies also. Harling from a kayak you can get away with 30 odd foot of leader. Basically I used to strip the leader off and dump it in the the water after taking a few paddle strokes, once the leader had straightened out I would pull a bit of line off the reel in between taking a few more strokes. I would have the drag backed right off on a single action fly reel and once there was a bit of fly line on the water it would have sufficient grip to pull line off the reel I would then paddle like the clappers for the horizon until the line had run out to the backing then put the paddle down, pick up the rod and tighten the drag. My rod holder was directly in front of me and I would angle the rod back over my head. I paddle out into deeper water when running out line then come back around into shallow water to harl. Now that I have a Hobie thats all history and life is so much simpler :y: :y:
Thanks for that I got it sorted on the weekend, I actually only have to get 1/2 my leader out and it comes of the reel nice and easy and i don't have to paddle that hard.
I went into okeefe's and he showed me how to splice the line with nice neat joins that go through the guides easy.

• Information