Clueless but keen to try Taupo

Section for the discussion of freshwater fishing from your kayak
skarramooch
Kayak Model: marauder

Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:45 pm

Hey guys, I have never tried freshwater fishing from the yak before - do i need to get/rent a new rod and reel, or can i use one of the saltwater ones with a fly or a jig on it? I'm spending a few days in kinloch soon and thought I might take the yak along.

Yakfisherkarl
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish
VHF Call Sign: ZMT 2691

Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:58 am

skarramooch wrote:Hey guys, I have never tried freshwater fishing from the yak before - do i need to get/rent a new rod and reel, or can i use one of the saltwater ones with a fly or a jig on it? I'm spending a few days in kinloch soon and thought I might take the yak along.
You lucky lucky------Person! I will post a harling rig set up for you tonight when I get home and a few places to try it at like Acacia Bay and McDonalds :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers
Karl
Cheers
Karl

Karl Pereira
President and Vice Treasurer
Northland Kayak Fishing Club Inc
http://www.northlandyakfishers.org.nz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Facebook page - Nkfc NZ
Email northlandyakfishers@gmail.com

Yakfisherkarl

Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:22 am

Hi skarramooch
I just remembered about the posting!
OK, in short you will need a suitable rod like a softbait one, short if possible around 5'6" with a nice supple tip.
Reel, well I use a Shimano TR 200g which I find great value for money. Use to use them for snapper fishing now used for harling! My thanks go out to Bryan in Taupo for showing me this rig a few years back that works all the time.

Basically tie on a fly like a parsons glory on to the end of 10m of 8/10lb mono line. Attach this mono to one colour of leadline which is another 10m and then attach that to mono backing of a slightly higher breaking strain, but, a further 10m after joining the leadline line mark it by either attaching a small swivel (not favoured by some) or tie in a dropper loop to mark this 10m point and cut it giving 2 tag ends (later is my suggestion). This is to let you know when you have the right amount of line out.

To fish you will need to let out the line and when it reaches the the dropper loop/tag ends this will let you know that you have the required amount of line out (10m of trace/leader+10m of leadline+ further 10m of mono) when paddling at around 3km per hr or less. If you have a fish finder hug the 5m contour in places like Acacia Bay from there towards town and from the sea plane/marina area head along (same depth) and parallel to the main road out of town towards the airport. I have caught good fish opposite McDonalds and the golfing platform thing!!! Don't go any further as you will hit the hot springs area!
If there is an Easterly or southerly wind try fishing at Waitahanui just South of the airport following parallel to the road again at the 5m mark. Same set up again and is my favourite place when everything is right. If you need anymore help just ask.
Cheers
Karl
Cheers
Karl

Karl Pereira
http://www.northlandyakfishers.org.nz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Facebook page - Nkfc NZ

skarramooch

Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:15 pm

Wow, Cheers Karl! I'll try to get all this stuff sorted out, and if I catch anything I'll certainly put a report in!! Thanks especially for the spots - Wasn't expecting that!!

My last attempt to catch trout (from the bank) was just a full day splashing flies in the river, scaring fish away, and being eaten by sandflies :headbang: so I reckon it's likely if I end up near McDonalds we might catch some of that for tea!

Yakfisherkarl

Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:10 pm

skarramooch wrote:Wow, Cheers Karl! I'll try to get all this stuff sorted out, and if I catch anything I'll certainly put a report in!! Thanks especially for the spots - Wasn't expecting that!!

My last attempt to catch trout (from the bank) was just a full day splashing flies in the river, scaring fish away, and being eaten by sandflies :headbang: so I reckon it's likely if I end up near McDonalds we might catch some of that for tea!
Your welcome Skarramooch, no big secrets mate as there are a few that fish these locations. Great to see someone wanting to trout fish from a yak in my books, so no point in fishing in places with no fish :y:
Shame we were not closer as I would have lent you some gear. If you need/want to get just 1 colour of leadline without having to fork out for a 10 colour spool, just PM me your address and I will cut one length of and send it to you with a sample fly. Just put up a report and photo of your mega catch(s)
Cheers
Karl
Cheers
Karl

Karl Pereira
Facebook page - Nkfc NZ

kai-yak
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400 lite
VHF Call Sign: -

Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:12 pm

Some good oil there Yakfisherkarl I have a spare Alvey harling reel that I'm going to set up as you advised. Do you use the standard flush mount rod holders at the rear of the kayak or one of the scottie/canon types at a lower angle?
P.S sorry if i'm hijacking your thread skarramooch

skarramooch

Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:32 am

Thanks very much for the offer Karl, but we're going in a few days so I'll have to go buy some - I guess I can have a look at all the shiny gear in the shop and dream of winning lotto!

And no worries Mr D, it's all good stuff:)

Yakfisherkarl

Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:00 am

mr D wrote:Some good oil there Yakfisherkarl I have a spare Alvey harling reel that I'm going to set up as you advised. Do you use the standard flush mount rod holders at the rear of the kayak or one of the scottie/canon types at a lower angle?
P.S sorry if i'm hijacking your thread skarramooch
Mate it's easy for me as I use a Stealthdrive for this sort of fishing ( http://www.stealthdrive.co.nz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) meaning that I can lay my rod over my lap and then over the gunwhale. If/when paddling best spot is centre and forrard (IMO) and if you have a centre well cover put a Scotty, Railblaza or similar on that. You can also put the rod in one of the kayaks own rod holder on the gunwhale (if fitted) but be carefull it does not get in the way of your paddle stroke. It's a great day up here this morning and I wish I was on Taupo now!!!!! or even Kai Iwi :y:
Cheers
Karl

Karl Pereira
Facebook page - Nkfc NZ

kai-yak
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400 lite
VHF Call Sign: -

Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:50 pm

Yakfisherkarl wrote: Mate it's easy for me as I use a Stealthdrive for this sort of fishing ( http://www.stealthdrive.co.nz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) meaning that I can lay my rod over my lap and then over the gunwhale. If/when paddling best spot is centre and forrard (IMO) and if you have a centre well cover put a Scotty, Railblaza or similar on that. You can also put the rod in one of the kayaks own rod holder on the gunwhale (if fitted) but be carefull it does not get in the way of your paddle stroke. It's a great day up here this morning and I wish I was on Taupo now!!!!! or even Kai Iwi :y:
Cool thought so looking at a older post with your downrigger setup. Thanks for the tips

skarramooch

Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:26 pm

Thanks for your help again Karl, I managed two trips out on Taupo, one of which was a 10km harl from 2 mile bay over to acacia bay and round past mcdonalds :lol: which produced nothing. The second trip was right outside our bookabach at rainbow point. Cause it was a bit windy I didn't go too far, and picked up two rainbows right on the doorstep! both (unfortunately) undersized - 20 and 39cm (soooo close), and both on the 10m/10mLeadline/10m/parsonsglory rig. Looking forward to trying it again, I may see if there is anywhere in the naki I can get my skills up!

Yakfisherkarl

Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:45 pm

skarramooch wrote:Thanks for your help again Karl, I managed two trips out on Taupo, one of which was a 10km harl from 2 mile bay over to acacia bay and round past mcdonalds :lol: which produced nothing. The second trip was right outside our bookabach at rainbow point. Cause it was a bit windy I didn't go too far, and picked up two rainbows right on the doorstep! both (unfortunately) undersized - 20 and 39cm (soooo close), and both on the 10m/10mLeadline/10m/parsonsglory rig. Looking forward to trying it again, I may see if there is anywhere in the naki I can get my skills up!
:rofl: :rofl: All good mate, at least you were there. What kit/rig were you using?
Out of interest what was the water temp on your sounder???
Where at Rainbow point did you stay? Our nrmal place is at Chads place and we just nip over to the water.
Best you come to Kai Iwi for the comp in July :y:
Cheers
Karl
Cheers
Karl

Karl Pereira
Facebook page - Nkfc NZ

skarramooch

Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:59 pm

I used 15lb mono in front of and behind the leadline, and a number 4 parson's glory.
The water temp was 61-62 Fahrenheit.
We were staying in a bach on rainbow drive - who's chad? does he let anyone stay? :^)
I doubt I'll be able to make it up north for the comp this year, but I'll keep it in mind, and maybe in a few years I will be able to? how long is it before kids don't need looking after?

Yakfisherkarl

Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:55 pm

skarramooch wrote:I used 15lb mono in front of and behind the leadline, and a number 4 parson's glory.
The water temp was 61-62 Fahrenheit.
We were staying in a bach on rainbow drive - who's chad? does he let anyone stay? :^)
I doubt I'll be able to make it up north for the comp this year, but I'll keep it in mind, and maybe in a few years I will be able to? how long is it before kids don't need looking after?
OK, Chads Place is the name of the accommodation which is on Chads Street at Rainbow Point! Just carry along Rainbow drive from the shops and it is the last road on the right and Chads is last on the left. Great place to stay and a great garage with internal access.
Cheers
Karl

Karl Pereira
Facebook page - Nkfc NZ

• Information