Christmas day in Canterbury

Section for the discussion of freshwater fishing from your kayak
dwmonty
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 13
VHF Call Sign: ZMU3862

Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:02 pm

Headed down to the local river (without the kayak) for a quick fish before lunch on christmas day. I saw more fish in one 100m long pool than I have ever seen in that river before and all were between 2 and 5 pound. One may have even gone bigger than that. At one point there were five fish visible within 30m. Unfortunately none were hungry and with the water so shallow and clear they wouldn't even look at the lures. Took a lot of photos on the tablet but this is the only one that came out ok. This fish I think had a hatchery tag on it as I could see something white/silver on it's back.

Will just have to go back to the same spot one evening and see if they will take a fly.

Cheers
Dale
Attachments
2014-12-25 12.36.15.jpg

Ruff as Gutts
Kayak Model: Swing

Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:33 pm

Here fishy fishy!! That's what makes fresh water fishing for me, tricking the bugger to bite! Great pic.

dwmonty

Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:35 pm

Took the father in law back the next night and spent about 2 hours up to last light but they wouldn't take anything. Having looked more closely at the river it appears the water level is so low that they can't move up or downstream. Even in the day between trips the water level had dropped by about 30mm.
Makes me wonder if these are the ones that F&G have electric fished out of the areas that are drying up, although they normally release them further upstream. If not then they will soon need to be relocated.
Cheers
Dale

MadMike
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak, Stealth
Kayak Model: Ultra 4.7, Stealth EVO 495

Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:58 am

Hmm dry with a 16-18 nymph under it on a 18ft leader well presented :) awesome sight fishing to trout like that on the fly!
Face book : http://www.facebook.com/TopCatchWhangarei" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Http://www.northlandangler.co.nz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stockist of, Ocean Kayaks, Old Town Kayaks, Phoenix Kayaks , Humminbird, Scotty, Rob Fort ACC and much much more!

Pronto
Kayak Model: Frenzy

Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:11 pm

That looks spectacular, but also really difficult to fish! When the water is that clear and low, with a glassy surface, it's always difficult. Have you had a crack with a dry around last light?

dwmonty

Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:10 am

Yeah the night after the photo was taken I went back with my father in law and tried exactly that. Nothing was biting even then. My guess is the combination of heat, low water and a lot of activity in the riverbed was stressing the fish out to a point they wouldn't feed. Now the river has completely dried up in a lot of places so most of the fish have been relocated.

Pronto
Kayak Model: Frenzy

Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:05 pm

That sounds right. I remember finding a pool like this on the Tongariro once, except it would not have been more than 50m in length. There were probably 10-15 fish in there and you could sneak right up and do a bow and arrow cast without being seen as it was in the bush. But when the pool gets warm, and they have that real glassy surface, it is rarely worth having a crack.

• Information