Okataina

Section for the discussion of freshwater fishing from your kayak
kea999
Kayak Make: ocean kayak
Kayak Model: 4.5- 4.3 -465 - 480

Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:41 pm

Dec 27 have been wanting to try bottling trout for some time so a trip to rotorua lakes was required have tried okataina before but that was in a sit in without fish finder without any sucess so decided to try again now that I have sit on with ff which for jigging is really helpful to access depth and bottom contour .Paddled out mid lake about 2 km and tried a variety of areas found a patch of fish caught and kept a couple 2 -3 lbish not the best fish condition but needed to try bottling paddled back to car to put in chillybin in car and have lunch pit stop .After lunch decided to go to back of lake 5-6 km paddle and tried down both sides of back with no sucess lake level appears to be very high with most beachs under water with vegetation dieing from spending to long under water .Paddled back to area where had some luck and just on dark caught 2 5 -5.5 lb tagged hens which were in good condition used these for bottling .Have always known there were wallabies around here but wasnt expecting to see when driving out from lake road . Questions . has anyone tried softbaits for trout do you put on jiggig rig and keep reading about botulism which can develop in bottled products I didnt have pressure cooker so boiled for 4hrs in large pot as per internet recipe instructions is this safe made sure I sterilised jars and lids looks good and lids are sucked down have 3-6 months wait before eating just want to feel safe about it botulism sounds like a real nasty experience
Attachments
005.JPG
006.JPG
002.JPG
004.JPG

YakFisho Snapps
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 495,BFS..
VHF Call Sign: Yakfisho Snapps

Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:13 pm

well done :y:..

paddlesnap
Kayak Make: QK/Ron Augustin
Kayak Model: Torres/Seabear/ Albatross etc.

Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:54 pm

8) Nice scenery and fishing -well done.
Any non seal on the preserving jars would blow and you would soon know by the stench and colour of contents.
The screw bands are normally removed for storage-
So long as the lid is sucked in and sealed it should be good.
Try it on the neighbours cat first :lol:

Yakfisherkarl
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish
VHF Call Sign: ZMT 2691

Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:29 pm

Well done mate, I love to see and read about people preserving/enhancing their catches, for eating at a later date. Can't wait for the results! :y:
Cheers
Karl

Karl Pereira
President and Vice Treasurer
Northland Kayak Fishing Club Inc
http://www.northlandyakfishers.org.nz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Facebook page - Nkfc NZ
Email northlandyakfishers@gmail.com

• Information