Cray hunting at night

Section for the discussion of fishing in the water, be it scuba or free-diving
Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:56 pm

Despite being sidelined about 20 years ago due to lung function damage after a particularly nasty bug, I'm going to try and get the all clear this summer to resume diving...hopefully.

Still currently restricted to being a surface tourist, "Yes, you can snorkel, but stay on the surface" they said, I'm keen to get the systems back into some semblance of order to allow me to at least ping 4-5m and snaffle some crawlies/scallops. Been too long without the taste of that sweet, sweet flesh...

So... Anyone tried grabbing bugs at night when they're out on the sand?

Night dives and the associated nocturnal logistics aren't an issue.

HLD
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

MikeAqua
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:11 pm

I've tried a number of times with mixed results. They aren't out every night, but when they're out they're are out in force. I think you have to be there at the right time on the right night.

If you dive the reef fringe or a dispersed reef with lots of sandy patches, the you have the option of checking under the rocks if nothing is out in the open.
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

Hairy Little Dwarf

Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:18 pm

Yep, heard it can be patchy although I always preferred the colour you get at night under the torch compared to the blah blues of daylight dives which is always a decent excuse for a night session.

Thanks Mike, long way to go yet though.

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

destin
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9308

Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:03 pm

I have not done many night dives in NZ but during one up by Tutukaka I came across a heap of crays walking in a line on the sand one after the other. Most strange. Unfortunately I was on a night dive course and I don't think it would be been the right thing to pop to the surface with a couple of crays. It would have been a lot easier to catch than normal :)
Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3 ZMW9308

Hairy Little Dwarf

Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:17 pm

destin wrote:I have not done many night dives in NZ but during one up by Tutukaka I came across a heap of crays walking in a line on the sand one after the other. Most strange. Unfortunately I was on a night dive course and I don't think it would be been the right thing to pop to the surface with a couple of crays. It would have been a lot easier to catch than normal :)
Jacques Cousteau filmed a similar event

Skip to 1:30

Big k
Kayak Make: Vicking /Stealth / OK
Kayak Model: 440. / 4.7 / 495
VHF Call Sign: ZMU 3384

Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:44 pm

My father was a trawler skipper, he died 50 years ago ,when I was just a nipper at 10 , I can still remember him bringing home about 6 giant green Crays and drowning them in the bath,he said that they hauled in the net and had several hundred packhorse Crays in it, he told me that at certain times of the season the Crays go on the March, they were so big my mum cooked them One at a time in an old tin bathtub with a wood fire under it ,your post brought it all flooding back to me so I have no doubt your on the money there Destin.

Viking 440
OK 4.7 ultra arrived
Stealth EVO 495 gone
Stealth Carbon Kevlar 495 arrived
ZMU3384

Legasea supporter

destin
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9308

Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:58 pm

Hairy Little Dwarf wrote:Jacques Cousteau filmed a similar event

Skip to 1:30
Thats what it was like except they were not quite as friendly with each other as that lot :rofl: The ones I saw were about a foot apart but in a straight line like those.

Big K: Yeah its funny what the mind links with things. From that whole dive (which was many many years ago) thats the only thing I can remember and I can remember it vividly. From memory it was just on the inside of the small reef (rock) in the middle of the Tutukaka entrance.
Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3 ZMW9308

paddlesnap
Kayak Make: QK/Ron Augustin
Kayak Model: Torres/Seabear/ Albatross etc.

Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:42 am

8) Yeah happens but once a year so good luck if you're around , but bad luck if you have a set net like we had once up North of Gisborne and you get a net full of them :|
Basically just had to shake what we could out and bin the net.
Don't need to wait till night just go rooting around in the reef and you'll find em :y:

Lister
Kayak Make: Tahe & Viking
Kayak Model: Wind 585 & 440 pf
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 4211

Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:52 am

Never night dived, and wouldn't alone. My own imagination is my worst enemy, {"Beware the monsters of the Id. For they are the ones that will destroy you"}.

Have seen Crays out just around sunset, but too deep for me and my pathetic dive ability, [more than 5 m deep].

I like technology. I especially like to hit it with a big stick!!!!

We don't hate the fat B*tch. We just can't find anything about her to not dislike

ZMW4211. Proud paddler of PF440

Jamie D
Kayak Make: Profisha 525
Kayak Model: Stealth
VHF Call Sign: Warpig

Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:21 pm

Diving at night ;(

murf
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3 Ultra

Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:51 pm

Just found this, wow, I wouldn't go during the day either! My ears only handle about 10 feet anyway. Used to go pauaing in Kaikoura quite a bit, nice wee Yellowfoots in the bay between Jimmy Amers and the wharf. Couple days after my last jaunt a bounty went out on a 6m White pointer that had cruised into the shallows at Jimmy Amers. :worried:

The crays march is spectacular. They used to move through KK in May and again around August. The marches would be miles long, usually in an elongated diamond shape with the larger bucks nearer the middle. Pots dropped in the middle of the march would have dozens of crays hanging on the outside as well as being full inside.

The distance they cover is incredible too - tagged crays in Dunedin being caught only a couple of weeks later north of the Clarence point.

Hairy Little Dwarf

Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:28 pm

brisbanejamie wrote:Diving at night ;(
Because you take your own light, you get to see all the colours that are filtered out during the day (ever wondered why all those underwater photos are vivid colours, but you only see blues and greens?)

I absolutely loved night dives, whole different world from daytime and the only danger I encountered in many years was ballistic piper bouncing off me while trying to nail the torch! :D

Try it with a snorkel this summer (in the shallows)...It's an awesome experience.

• Information