How Ta Test Ya Unwerwater Cam Housing!

Section for the discussion of fishing in the water, be it scuba or free-diving
Fish'N'Snork
Kayak Make: Cobra
Kayak Model: Marauder
VHF Call Sign: The Yak ZMW2544

Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:44 pm

GoPro Underwater Shark Experiment http://vimeo.com/15273716 from http://www.eyeofmine.com/gopro/underwater/. GoPro is slightly out-of-focus underwater - a known issue that the company is working on. The above is an aftermarket housing made by "eyeofmine.com" that corrects the issue.
Nice close-up of the inside of the shark's mouth, :lol: . Must get one of those when I can afford it (minus the sharks of course).
Less Negativity And More Positive Encouragement Makes For A Better Life For All.

New Zealand......
The Best Place in the World to live if ya Broke.

"Whole life balance, Daniel-San" ("Karate Kid").

Kia kaha, kia toa, kia manawanui ( Be strong, be brave, be steadfast and sure).

fatbob
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: PF 400

Fri May 27, 2011 12:09 pm

I've got a GoPro and use it quite often when I'm out spearfishing. No problems with the out of focus issue, IMO it doesn't justify a new housing or add-on. It's a great camera and I made some cool vids with it.

K

demigod
Kayak Model: Espri

Fri May 27, 2011 12:15 pm

You should post some on here ! :rock:

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to Yak fish and you won't hear from him most weekends :-P

fatbob

Fri May 27, 2011 3:26 pm

Ok, here we go:

It's not all diving, I've been too lazy (busy) to edit the other ones I made, but will do so as soon as I'm happy with it. (lost 2 days of work recently due to server update and lost momentum).
Enjoy.

K

Fish'N'Snork
Kayak Make: Cobra
Kayak Model: Marauder
VHF Call Sign: The Yak ZMW2544

Fri May 27, 2011 6:54 pm

fatbob wrote:Ok, here we go:

Thanks for that. Looking at that footage confirmed the underwater focus issue to me. Definitely has a slightly out of focus look on the underwater clip, with a loss in depth of field. Having done underwater photograph in my younger days (had an old Nikonos III), I would be looking at a corrective lens to sort that for me. I still think the Go-Pro HD will be the best option for free-driving, but if I'm paying the bucks for HD, then it would be silly not to make sure it is in focus IMHO. If I wasn't worried about the quality then I would go for an El Cheapie Cam instead.
Just IMHO of course ;)
Less Negativity And More Positive Encouragement Makes For A Better Life For All.

New Zealand......
The Best Place in the World to live if ya Broke.

"Whole life balance, Daniel-San" ("Karate Kid").

Kia kaha, kia toa, kia manawanui ( Be strong, be brave, be steadfast and sure).

fatbob

Fri May 27, 2011 11:27 pm

Oh I agree on that, it is out of focus, no question, and it is the HD model as well… Sure if you need a camera for underwater footage only it definitely pays off to go for the corrective housing. I wanted to have a camera that easily straps to the helmet when snowboarding, mountainbiking and to pop onto a surfboard. The fact that it's waterproof to 30 meter came as a bonus.
One thing you need to be aware of though, I tested it with a friend of mine (who is directing music videos, so he knows his gear). The HD on the GoPro HD is kind of false advertising: The software crops the image and focuses to an area that is closer to the lens, but the effective resolution is the same as the standard setting. Basically it 'blows up' the existing footage already when taking it. Bit of a let down when I found out about this… |(

• Information