Teacher required

Section for the discussion of fishing in the water, be it scuba or free-diving
Pointloader
Kayak Make: Viking Kayaks
Kayak Model: Profish Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9774

Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:44 am

Hey guys, anyone around that wouldn't mind teaching an extremely unfit smoker some of the required breathing techniques etc for free diving - preferably somewhere around Auckland.
Heading out to see the team @ Wettie to gear up and looking to learn the ropes this summer and hopefully spear my first fish :rock:

Yes I know, smoking is not going to help the situation... should never have started :headbang:
https://www.facebook.com/FishingAddictsAnonymous
Viking Profish Reload, Viking Profish GT & Viking 2+1
Viking Kayaks Pro Team
Lowrance Pro-Staff
NZ Black Yaks 2015
ZMW9774

awondering
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:50 am

Reckon you can do it mate :y:
3344277.jpg
3344277.jpg (17.17 KiB) Viewed 1923 times

Kerry
Kayak Make: Old town
Kayak Model: Predator PDL

Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:37 am

The main thing to do to improve yr breath hold is to remain calm and use slow movements. Get used to being in the water and relaxing. Get your breathing into an even rhythm and spend plenty of time on the surface between dives to recover the oxygen saturation in your blood. DO NOT HYPERVENTLATE BEFORE YOU DIVE! This will give you a longer breath hold but there is a massive increase in the risk of shallow water blackout.

As a kayaker when you free dive you're likely to be alone in the water - this is not reccomeded but in my case most of the diving that I do is solo. To do this safely I need to ensure that I don't push the limits of my breath hold too far so most dives that I do are under 1 minute - not near the limits of my breath hold capiablity but safe.

If you come up here at any stage I'll be happy to assist and will even take you to a cray hole or two but prob not any of my really good ones :lol:

Pointloader
Kayak Make: Viking Kayaks
Kayak Model: Profish Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9774

Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:46 am

Cheers Kerry, yeah have been reading up on Shallow Water Blackout and it regularly comes back to the hyperventilating issue.
I'm not confident enough in the water to even attempt something crazy like that to extend my breath hold - quite surprised at how common this practice sounds.

Will likely be heading to a course sometime this summer to learn a few techniques in the pool before attempting any real diving in the briney.
May take some gear next weekend and just have a snorkel around if the weather allows while we're out at Cuvier just for a look
https://www.facebook.com/FishingAddictsAnonymous
Viking Profish Reload, Viking Profish GT & Viking 2+1
Viking Kayaks Pro Team
Lowrance Pro-Staff
NZ Black Yaks 2015
ZMW9774

G1
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish

Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:38 am

Pointloader wrote:Cheers Kerry, yeah have been reading up on Shallow Water Blackout and it regularly comes back to the hyperventilating issue.
I'm not confident enough in the water to even attempt something crazy like that to extend my breath hold - quite surprised at how common this practice sounds.

Will likely be heading to a course sometime this summer to learn a few techniques in the pool before attempting any real diving in the briney.
May take some gear next weekend and just have a snorkel around if the weather allows while we're out at Cuvier just for a look
Talking too a mate who spear fishes regularly he reckons its pretty easy to shoot a kingy from the surface. So there is hope with no training

vr4king

Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:08 am

ANYONE can train themselves to hold there breath for over 3mins relatively quickly........Being calm in the water is the key
And once you got it you need to keep using it or you will have to retrain.
There is a TON of info on the net about apnea training etc most of it is actually useful.

My longest hold was close to 5mins out of water though.........water makes a huge difference.
Look up William Trubridge in youtube doing the Hectometer Dive that's insane, I used to go to school with him and he is a fish.

Rusty
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Profisha 575
VHF Call Sign: ZMW2773

Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:03 am

awondering wrote:Reckon you can do it mate :y:
3344277.jpg
can of redbull in the other hand :lol:
Everyone is a genius.

But if you judge a fish
on its ability to climb a tree.
it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.

paddlesnap
Kayak Make: QK/Ron Augustin
Kayak Model: Torres/Seabear/ Albatross etc.

Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:18 am

Pointloader wrote:Hey guys, anyone around that wouldn't mind teaching an extremely unfit smoker some of the required breathing techniques etc for free diving - preferably somewhere around Auckland.
Heading out to see the team @ Wettie to gear up and looking to learn the ropes this summer and hopefully spear my first fish :rock:

Yes I know, smoking is not going to help the situation... should never have started :headbang:
Catch up over the Jandel sometime , water quality so much better over there :y:

• Information