Spearo's, anyone want to do it from a yak?

Section for the discussion of fishing in the water, be it scuba or free-diving
Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:34 pm

and if I go on a diet first my wet suit will be cheaper? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

kayak chris
Kayak Make: ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8810

Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:47 pm

:lol: Nice.

Yea im hoping that if I do get into it, it might give me some insentive to get a bit fitter / stop smoking once and for all ect.

All good if no one is keen, it is a bit different, and depending on what you want to do could cost a bit.
If others are keen for the course I am too, if not then a pair of fins and a mask would get me started so all good.
Just not so keen to dive by myself, so if no one is keen then Ill give it a miss too.

Kayaks-
Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.7, Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3, Tahe Greenlander T, Mission Eco Bezhig, Perception Expedition, Bliss-Stick Flip Stick

Jigheads Paddling and Fishing team member,
Come visit us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

YAKuZA
Kayak Make: Ocean kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler Elite
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8741

Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:20 pm

I've been looking into this option myself for the past 2 months and have pretty much the same info that KC has posted. Soo yep I'm in! :P put me down for that day course please KC... if we get enough takers?

Kingfish killer
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Ultra Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: kingfish killer

Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:10 pm

djracing2007 wrote:
But would be much happier , if you can find someone , maybe a little overweight , and tastier looking to take along as well,,
No i wont jump in the water with you DJ so while the killer whale is devouring me you can make your escape ! :shock:
I used to live in the water years ago , but these days the only way you will get me in the water is if i turtle :!:

Celebre
Kayak Make: Barracuda
Kayak Model: Beachcomber
VHF Call Sign: ZMT6867

Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:21 pm

Well, it looks like there is three for the course to far.....KC, Akcyu and Mr Celebre. Open it on the spearo forum and I'll be guessing that you'll get the other two needed in pretty short time.

beagle
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: ZMW3519 (Beagle)

Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:57 am

Have you got a date of which weekend that may be,
as may also be keen.

kayak chris

Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:53 am

No dates confirmed yet, still looking for a bit of interest, then will try and work around those interested.

Kayaks-
Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.7, Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3, Tahe Greenlander T, Mission Eco Bezhig, Perception Expedition, Bliss-Stick Flip Stick

Come visit us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kayak chris

Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:22 pm

Hey guys,
Who is still interested in this?
KC- YES
DJ?
AKCYU?
MR Celebre?
Beagle?

went down to Ocean hunter in the weekend,
Good bunch of guys and very helpfull.
They sell everything, so it is possable to start with the basics (fins mask) and build up as/if required.
Or for those who want to get right into it they have 4 packages http://www.oceanhunter.co.nz/?t=64&cid=11
If a few of us are interested in getting a package then Ill try see if we can get them to throw in the course for free or something get a bit of a group discount on the gear, (worth a shot), but need to know if anyone would be keen before I heasd down that path.

I also now have a copy of the no bubbles training program from the course when a friend did it last year.
Looking at it, the main reasons for me to go would be to learn how to do it safely, and to build confidence, but after reading it it doesnt seem as complex as I would have expected, so im also pretty tempted to just get some gear and give it a go...

Kayaks-

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:29 pm

Suggest if you're going to have a crack at it without a course, which is fine, you at least read up on Shallow Water Blackout (Hyperventilation)...And please don't go solo.

[Steps off soapbox]
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

kayak chris

Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:38 pm

Absolulty right HLD,
I am stupid, but not quite that stupid.
I have all the course material with me now which discusses all the possable issues / preventions, which I will share with others who are keen to head out also.
I have been reading up about courses on "the other site" in the spearo section and very very few of them have actually done one by the sounds of things.
That doesnt mean I dont want to do one still though, but it does show that you can get wet (within your limits) first provided you do it safely with others around.

Also the purpose of the thread is to find someone that I can dive with ;)

Also Shallow water blackout is actually cerebral hypoxia (hope I spelt that right) not hyperventilation, the issue occurs often because divers try to hyperventilate on the surface prior to a dive beliving that they can then hold more 02, this is true as it removes the C02 in the body, however its more of a false feeling, so the body gets to the point of having too much C02 in ther before any of the normal triggers go off to tell you that its happening, hence the blackout that occurs from nowhere.
This can be controlled by relaxing the breathing pattern on the surface, there are plenty of techniques to do this described in the course material / internet reaserch I have. :D

Kayaks-

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:51 pm

Sorry Chris, didn't mean to direct that at you specifically.
Have had to put a solo diver in a bag before, which was more than likely totally preventable. :(
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

kayak chris

Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:56 pm

Sorry to hear that HLD,
Yes your right I think that most cases of Shallow water blackout are preventable, and your right no diving should ever be done alone.

Kayaks-

Celebre
Kayak Make: Barracuda
Kayak Model: Beachcomber
VHF Call Sign: ZMT6867

Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:35 pm

Mr Celebre is still interested.....

Dreadfish
Kayak Model: Prowler elite 4.5

Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:32 pm

Hi All

must admit ive been keen to have a go at the spearfishing for a while now... used to dive a bit when younger. last time i was up your way i stopped in at ocean hunter as well as the numerous tackle shops in the immediate vacinity and quite liked the package deals they have. (just have to save the pennies for a while).. there are a few guys here in welly that do the snorkling and fishing off the yak and are generally succesfull.
Stealth Evolution 495
OK Prowler Elite 4.5
OK Scupper Pro

hud
Kayak Make: ocean
Kayak Model: prowler

Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:30 am

hey KC,
i first got into they kayaking buzz because it seemed a much easier way to transport all my spearfishing gear around the coast. spearfish off it all the time in summer now, its awesome. basically you get all the same advantages you can apply to kayak fishing; stealth, adaptability, manouverability etc . . .
the spearfishing thread on the other forum has some really good pointers. I did that no bubbles course a few years back and found it to be worhtwhile, but as you say it's not really nescessary.
make sure you tie all your gear in!!!
as kiwifred said, there's a few of us down here (wellies) that do it. off out today to makara for a spear/fish.
will likely fish on the paddle up there trolling softbaits/lures, then jump in the water for a few hours before fishing my way back home again. pretty much guarateed a feed that way - i can always grab a few paua if nothing else, but usually crays and butterfish to be had at least. moki terakihi and jd's starting to show up in summer and always the chance of a nice snapper or kingi!
what im trying to say in a long winded way is give it a crack mate, you'll love it!

kayak chris

Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:38 am

From Oceanhunter -
"All package deals receive a free day's Breath Hold Course with the Ocean Hunter team valued at $200"
;)

Kayaks-

kayak chris

Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:30 pm

Ok here is where we stand at the moment.
I think it is unlikely we will all be free for a saturday class this side of christmas (there are only 3 saturdays left :? ) so will try and get something sorted for early in the new year, for those keen.
In the mean time Akcyu and myself are going to get some gear and get a few smaller dives under our belts. ;) anyone else interested in doing so let me know.

Akcyu Im probably going to get a package off oceanhunter this weekend, Mike is just checking he has my size in the suit I want then im all go, so text me if you want to come along and get some stuff too as may be able to sort a deal out. :D

Kayaks-

Kayak Rob
Kayak Make: Old Town & Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Predator PDL, Trident 15
VHF Call Sign: Kayak Rob or ZMS6165

Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:48 am

Hi Guys
thought I should offer some sound advice as this is something I have done for a lot of years and was the original reason for getting into kayaking in the first place.
First of all if you are considering freediving /spearfishing then give up smoking as you are wasting your time otherwise.
As for doing courses this is a good idea and will help but the basic fundamentals can be grasped by reading books and there are some good ones around.
The Len Jones guide to spearfishing (NZ edition) is very good at explaining the nuts and bolts of spearfishing and even has a kayak section it will set you back around $10 to $20.
Another publication which will further aid your ability is a book written by Terry Mass and David Slippery called Freedive and is a complete guide to breath-hold diving. This one is around $50.
Both books are very good publications and will give you plenty of insight and are available in our country.
Gear selection is another area I would carefully consider and Ocean Hunter aren't the only store doing this and have only been on the scene for a short time.
I'm sure you have heard of Darren Shields he is 6 times NZ spearfishing champion with 38 years experience and was the founder of Wild Blue the first dedicated store to supply NZ with spearfishing equipment. Darren now has his own brand of spearfishing gear which is superb and even better is very well priced. Also when you go and see him you will be taken through the gear and he is happy to share any techniques with you also. Darren is a top block with a reputation that speaks for itself. I seriously suggest any of you consider this as an option and to find out more check out his website: www.wettie.co.nz or even better give him a call 09 479 4232

Wildblue is another excellent store to check out as well and the guys in here are also very helpful with some excellent package deals available. Visit the website for lots of information: www.wildblue.co.nz

If you mention my name to any of these guys they will look after you even further.

The best way to become good at spearfishing is done by spending lots and lots of time in the water and a course will give you a good start however there is no substitute for just getting in there and becoming familiar with your environment. The more comfortable you become with this the more relaxed you will be and then you will find you can hold your breath for longer times. Never push yourself to hard and always do this with another person (dive buddy).

I can help any of you with the skills of spearfishing from the kayak and also setting it up for this. If you can get half a dozen people together then i would be able to give you some instruction for a much smaller fee of $80 each and this would be from the kayak. I also have some good DVD's made by Darren Shields that I would be happy to pass around for you guys to check out.
Also if you want to read about spearfishing from the kayak I have just started a series of articles on the subject which are published in the NZ Fishing Coast to Coast magazine. Last issue covered kayak scallop diving on a single breath of air and the next one coming out within the next week starts with the basic's of setting up the kayak step by step which I'm sure all of you will find useful.
If you need some more information I am happy to help with this and my website is also useful for information on the subject as well visit www.kayakadventures.co.nz

Hope this helps and any one wants to know more don't hesitate to get in touch with me.
cheers
Rob Fort
Kayak fishing is life

Rob Fort
NZ Kayak Fishing
Award winning video: https://www.youtube.com/user/NZkayakfishing
http://www.yakfishnz.com
Rob Fort Series http://robfortseries.co.nz/

Old Town, Ocean Kayak & Humminbird Pro Team member, supported by: Sharkskin, Maxel, Jigstar, Gamakatsu, Abu Garcia, Berkley, Salt A-Way, NZ Bay Fisher, Neptune, Pelaj, Railblaza, Zest

kayak chris

Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:02 am

Thanks for that Rob,
To be honest its those stories you were telling us at Martins bay that has made me want to get into it.
Will definatly be in touch over summer, if not for spearing then at least for a fish ;)

I have had a look at the places mentioned, I guess im looking at ocean hunter more because they are very close to my place, and have been very helpfull service wise.
im sure all the others are just as good in that regard though.

Rob ill be at Cooks Beach between christmas and new years, if your keen to meet up for a fish or to get wet let me know, happy to travel over your way too.

Kayaks-

kayak chris

Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:04 am

Also Rob, do you have any idea where I can pick up that len jones book?
At all the spearo shops, or do I need to look elsewhere?
Cheers

Kayaks-

• Information