Deck grab rope

Discussion here that is specific to SiKs and catching/processing fish without (hopefully) joining them...
Hurley Burley
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Espri Angler

Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:43 pm

Hi Guys,
I'm looking at replacing the deck grab line on my sequel as it looking very worn. What kind of rope would be best for this?

I'm thinking of red rope as it will make it stand out from the other lines on the deck.

Cheers
James

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:02 pm

I replaced the bootlace on my sequel and fishing machine with 8mm retroreflective. Was about $15 for 20m or something from Mitre 10.

For decklines, you want thick. Loop your arm through the stock deckline and apply some pressure - now imagine this being jerked around in a good sea while you try and get yourself sorted...

Thin lines are sexy, but not practical for safety IMHO.
flashy.jpg
flashy.jpg (51.37 KiB) Viewed 1434 times
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

yakman
Kayak Make: Cobra
Kayak Model: Marauder

Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:54 pm

I agree, the bigger and more 'in your face' deck lines are the better because when the s@#t hits the fan you might only get a split second to grab them :sweat:

My deck line is 6.5mm rope (not exactly sure of the type?) and doubled most of the way. Been there for years and still good as new.
Attachments
IMG_6088.jpg
"Oh it's on...it's on like donkey kong"

Hurley Burley
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Espri Angler

Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:52 pm

Thanks for the input. I've already experienced the cheese wire thinness of the deck lines in big surf zones, partly the motivation for the change. Also black rope on black deck isn't the best for easy location!
Think I'll have to take a look in TLC to see what options they have.
Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Information