2nd paddle

Discussion here that is specific to SiKs and catching/processing fish without (hopefully) joining them...
Douugie
Kayak Make: Viking Kayak
Kayak Model: Profish 400 lite

Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:23 pm

Hi all,

Looking for a second paddle, I have a lendal Kinetic Carbon shaft with fiberglass blades which I will eventually keep as my spare paddle.

I have been looking online first to get an idea before trying some out, been contemplating a wing paddle but most are a little to expensive and hard on the body not that I have tried one yet, I have also been looking at bent or crank shaft paddles. Anyone on the forum use them? and thoughts on them.
I have had a shoulder injury for a little while which has been frustrating, and have read that the bent shafts can help with the loading on the wrists shoulder etc.

Any ideas? :beer:

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:33 pm

Greenland.

Works great with my dead shoulder even on the SOT, and carry my flash carbon euro as a spare now - couldn't even tell you the last time I paddled with a euro to be honest.
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

Douugie

Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:44 pm

Would be keen to give one a go to find out if I like or not, I see someone on trademe selling them for $275 they look good quality.

Thanks HLD

dedant
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Fisha 500
VHF Call Sign: ZMU5052

Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:22 pm

I have a AT Odessey bent shaft. Only had it out three or four times so far, but the more I use it the more I like it.
Fishing one day next weekend, but you can borrow it for a test paddle sometime if you want.

Glass is Class.. dedant

Douugie

Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:36 pm

Thanks for the offer Antn!, will probably be going to Fergs at some stage they stock AT paddles and I have looked at the
reviews from Jason aka paddleguy.com and he uses a few paddles from there range. I like the look of the odyssey at this stage, but looking at the Oracle as well even though it is a larger blade it is slightly lighter.

Cheers
Doug

paddlesnap
Kayak Make: QK/Ron Augustin
Kayak Model: Torres/Seabear/ Albatross etc.

Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:14 pm

I've got that Descente Fusion small Wing full carbon with hot tipz and light as .
What are you paddling ?
I put a split shaft kit on , if you want to try it Doug sometime- PM me .
I found it nice to paddle with and a smaller blade easier on shoulder etc
Got it for a spare but I've got a few others and may part with it for far cheaper than those newies :y:
I found them brilliant for what you're saying and once adjusted to technique you never want to go back to normal blades.
Cheers

Douugie

Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:54 pm

paddlesnap wrote:I've got that Descente Fusion small Wing full carbon with hot tipz and light as .
What are you paddling ?
I put a split shaft kit on , if you want to try it Doug sometime- PM me .
I found it nice to paddle with and a smaller blade easier on shoulder etc
Got it for a spare but I've got a few others and may part with it for far cheaper than those newies :y:
I found them brilliant for what you're saying and once adjusted to technique you never want to go back to normal blades.
Cheers
Hi Paddlesnap,

Keen to try a wing! I am paddling the Qkayak Shearwater at the moment my first Sea kayak, I find it far nicer to paddle than a SOT but a damn lot harder to fish out of! Though still possible as you have shown.

Mac50L
Kayak Make: SeaLand
Kayak Model: Mac50L

Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:14 pm

Just make sure you don't get a paddle which is too long. Last year in BC, Canada they supplied 240 cm - far, far, too long. I then had 2 months of shoulder pain. The guides were using 210 cm. Later last year I was using 190 cm in Oz.

Personally I use Greenland type which are light, very cheap and work like Wings.

Douugie

Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:22 pm

Hi Mac50L, I am looking to try both a wing and a greenland paddle at some stage, there is a guy listing some nice greenland paddles on trademe at the moment which look very nice.

Paddle length is important as you say will be looking below 220, hopefully one that can be feathered and lengthened up to this length or close to it.

Cheers,
Doug

Hairy Little Dwarf

Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:42 pm

GL paddles are very easy to make yourself with nothing more than a saw and spokeshave (or plane...or flapper sanding disc on a powerdrill..or a rock)
Have a look on the KASK webpage: http://www.kask.org.nz/greenland-paddles/

My first one cost about $75 including a tin of epiglue for Sandys "NZ Style" laminated version.
Second was $25 (shaped from one piece).

Very therapeutic standing in an ever-growing pile of cedar shavings :)

Was cruising along in my P4.3 at 4kn quite happily this morning using a stick.

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

Mac50L

Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:42 am

Note the $25. The last ones I did were under $20 each not including epoxy and oil. HOWEVER there is a problem - I've got 9 and wood ready for another. :$ And then I must make a take-apart one and a..... |( Of course a few spares might help too or..... :(

Does the word "addictive" spring to mind.

We have a fire at the bach and the shavings make good fire-starters.

yakman
Kayak Make: Cobra
Kayak Model: Marauder

Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:27 pm

Interesting :?: Have been thinking about it for a while and decision has now been made, I am going to have a go at making a Greenland paddle :y:
"Oh it's on...it's on like donkey kong"

Mac50L

Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:25 am

yakman wrote:Interesting :?: Have been thinking about it for a while and decision has now been made, I am going to have a go at making a Greenland paddle :y:
If you are going to I'd recommend -

http://kask.org.nz/wp-content/uploads/G ... rguson.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or this site for a few more pictures of the same procedure -

http://sites.google.com/site/kayakamf/m ... nd-paddles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The next step after making one is using it correctly. If you know how to use a Wing paddle, that's a good start point. Body rotation, blade angled to give "lift". The stroke can be high or low, almost vertical if sprinting, a lazy low stroke when waiting for the rest of the group to catch up with you.

yakman

Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:51 pm

Mac50L wrote:
yakman wrote:Interesting :?: Have been thinking about it for a while and decision has now been made, I am going to have a go at making a Greenland paddle :y:
If you are going to I'd recommend -

http://kask.org.nz/wp-content/uploads/G ... rguson.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or this site for a few more pictures of the same procedure -

http://sites.google.com/site/kayakamf/m ... nd-paddles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The next step after making one is using it correctly. If you know how to use a Wing paddle, that's a good start point. Body rotation, blade angled to give "lift". The stroke can be high or low, almost vertical if sprinting, a lazy low stroke when waiting for the rest of the group to catch up with you.

Cheers :y: Anywhere in particular best to get a length of cedar?

Mac50L

Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:23 pm

yakman wrote: Anywhere in particular best to get a length of cedar?
I'd suggest BBS, they have a few branches (joke?) around the country.

We were out in a gondola last night (Venice) and the "oar" they use is usually laminated and could be half of an oversized Greenland paddle - same cross section and narrow.

Hairy Little Dwarf

Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:18 pm

yakman wrote:Cheers :y: Anywhere in particular best to get a length of cedar?

Make sure the grain is good with no significant runouts or knots.
I spent probably 3/4 hour going through the rack.

Try Rosenfeld Kidson as well, although a google for exotic timber suppliers should give you plenty to choose from.

paddlesnap
Kayak Make: QK/Ron Augustin
Kayak Model: Torres/Seabear/ Albatross etc.

Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:35 pm

Herman Pacific -Foundry Rd. Silverdale , just around the corner from Mentals old work .

http://www.hermpac.co.nz/contact.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Huge amounts there and seems reasonable cost too :y:

Still got the Wing Douugie , see ya out there sometime-

yakman

Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:18 pm

Found a nice piece of Oregon?

Hairy Little Dwarf

Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:37 pm

yakman wrote:Found a nice piece of Oregon?
Will be fine for a first paddle, there will likely be others :D
Have a look at The List

yakman

Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:09 pm

Hairy Little Dwarf wrote:
yakman wrote:Found a nice piece of Oregon?
Will be fine for a first paddle, there will likely be others :D
Have a look at The List
Cheers :y: I feel an obsession coming on!

• Information