Wheeleez Kayak Trolley

In this section you will find reviews, of kayaks, accessories, fishing tackle, and more. All reviews are written by our members. If you have a favorite piece of equipment, write up a review and let others know what you think.
Hainesy
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:12 pm

Like many of us I have spent a lot of time looking for the ultimate kayak trolley.

Much of my fishing has been done from sandy surf beaches and the normal "golf buggy" type wheels as used by nearly all the manufacturers just seem to try and bulldoze the sand or simply bog down. In fact, at our normal Christmas holiday spot, it literally takes two of us to move the kayak up and over the sand dunes.

In thinking about 4WDers and how they look for wide tyres and very low pressure (as low as 10lb I believe) I couldnt help but think that somewhere, someone must make a tyre that could be used for a kayak trolley.

As bit of searching on the 'net and I found a company called Wheeleez http://www.wheeleez.com/
As you can see from their site they design and build wheels and various trolleys for use on sandy beaches. The video claims that they their wheels "glide over the sand"...http://www.wheeleez.com/about-low-pressure-wheels.php

Almost sounded too good to be true !!...A bit more digging and a distributor in Aust was found http://www.beachwheelsaustralia.com/ . Another dist was also found for NZ and Aust but they didnt seem at all interested so after a couple of calls, my Wheeleez Kayak Trolley duely arrived prior to Christmas.
The first thing that you notice is how wide the wheel is compared to a "standard" kayak trolley wheel and how soft they are (2.5psi)
IMG_0111.JPG
Now I'm not going to post a pic of what the complete trolley looks like as it looks exactly like it does on their website...but heres a pic of it under my 'yak
105_0307.JPG
I havent got any video of it in action , but again it works EXACTLY as they claim and as it shows in their online video.
I guess the proof of the pudding is in the eating...whereas before it took 2 people to move the kayak over the dunes (and then it was a struggle), my 12 yr old daughter can pretty much do it on her own !!

So....my summary..

PROs

Does exactly what the manufacturers claim...absolutely ideal for soft and sandy conditions.
Easy to use....no more complicated then any of the other manufacturers..

CONs

The wheels are big and if you want to store them on your yak, then you may struggle. They dont fit under the soft front cover of the Profish
Cost...not cheap...you're looking at around $400 NZD..I was fortunate as I have them delivered to an Aust address and then bought them back myself....

My rating....given that it delivers everything that I wanted and needed....9 / 10
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

G1
Kayak Model: Profish

Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:54 pm

I know what ya mean by digging into the sand... It drives me nuts... That looks a cool trolley, but like you say it is a bit pricey, maybe you could have bought 1 ctug and an extra set of wheels and run "DUALS" like those big ass tractors do :y: :lol:

kayak chris
Kayak Make: ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8810

Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:30 pm

I too can vouch for wheeleez, I have been using one of thier trollies
for a couple of years now and love it.
Mine has smaller wheels but they are still wider than most and do a great job.
+ the frame doubles as a loader to help get your yak on the roof :y: Wouldnt get the ultra on the roof without them ;)

Kayaks-
Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.7, Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3, Tahe Greenlander T, Mission Eco Bezhig, Perception Expedition, Bliss-Stick Flip Stick

Jigheads Paddling and Fishing team member,
Come visit us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gibro712
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra 4.3
VHF Call Sign: ZMU5027

Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:27 pm

I've just upgraded to Wheeleez, hopefully will arrive soon :rofl:

Given that I have been using a C-Tug. Whats the consensus, keep the C-Tug or sell it?

What have others done in this situation?
Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3
ZMU5027

Kayak Adventures
Kayak Model: To many models to name
VHF Call Sign: ZMS6165

Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:55 pm

Railblaza do a SandTrakz Wheel which they say is - "half the effort, puncture free and fits inside hatches". May be a cheaper alternative to upgrade to these wheels rather than a new Wheeleez trolley.
Cheers
Janet
All the best from the team

Find us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coromande ... 33?sk=wall

Stockists of the worlds best brands! Fishing Kayaks, Accessories, Watersport Clothing, Spearfishing Gear and Fishing Tackle

gibro712
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra 4.3
VHF Call Sign: ZMU5027

Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:25 pm

Thanks Janet

Mixed reviews on Sandtrakz, and lack of clarity about which surfaces it did and didn't work on just left me confused regarding suitability on the soft soft stoney beaches down here in Wellington. Based on the good reviews I've read on the Wheeleez, it was a no brainer.

It was a little pricey, but ok as I intend to be enjoying the freedom of the yak for a long time yet :y:

May even do a cheeky youtube demo of it on the stoney beaches down here if I get round to it

Appreciate the feedback :)
Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3
ZMU5027

Blazer60
VHF Call Sign: ZMW5911 - Blazer60

Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:27 pm

gibro712 wrote:I've just upgraded to Wheeleez, hopefully will arrive soon :rofl:

Given that I have been using a C-Tug. Whats the consensus, keep the C-Tug or sell it?

What have others done in this situation?
I did the same upgrade.... there's always a market for C-Tugs. I had no probs departing with mine.
Blazer60
In between ships ZMW5911
Any Stealths for sale?

Schecter
Kayak Model: Profish EVO IV
VHF Call Sign: ZMW8098

Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:43 pm

You won't be disappointed with the Wheeleez. They are the next best thing to having a 4WD or a tractor to transport your kayak to the water. The C-tug is a good alternative if you don't want to spend a heap of cash on the wheeleez. :y:
Viking Tempo
Viking Profish 440

PB: Snapper=79cm. Rogers Road, 26/10/14

PB: Gurnard=34cm. Orere Point, 17/06/15

PB: Kingfish=75cm. Omaio, 13/02/16

Manurewa Marlins RLFC. The Home of Joe Galuvao, Henry Fa'afili, Greg Eastwood, Daniel O'Regan, Jesse Bromwich,
Kenny Bromwich, Peter Hiku, Ligi Sao, Siliva Havili.

FatherOfMany
Kayak Make: Old Town
Kayak Model: Predator XL Petrol
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9858

Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:30 am

Apart from the price, my biggest concern with the Wheeleez is that those metal frame, at least the TradeMe versions, tend to close on you while loading a heavy kayak onto it. And when I say apart from the price, yes I do think Wheeleez are a ripoff and I hope they get some competition soon.

Snap 4T adjusted my ctug for me to fit balloon wheels and we brought some in from China. $150 per set all up if I remember correctly. That set wasn't UV resistant and I lost it in the Coromandel sun last summer, but the idea worked pretty well.
G1 wrote:I know what ya mean by digging into the sand... It drives me nuts... That looks a cool trolley, but like you say it is a bit pricey, maybe you could have bought 1 ctug and an extra set of wheels and run "DUALS" like those big ass tractors do :y: :lol:
With the balloon wheels busted by the sun and the ctug having a larger axle, I tried this idea and got 2 sets of wheels very similar to what you find on the TM steel frame trolleys. Worked better than a single set of wheels on some terrains, but definitely not good going over rocks where the softness of the balloon wheels are excellent.

Ended up bringing in another set of balloon wheels and I think they are UV resistant, though I'm not planning on finding out.
----------------------------------------------------
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13
OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #1, OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #2

PB: Snapper=66cm, J.D.=39cm, Gurnard=38cm

VHF Callsign: ZMW 9858

Kayak Fishing Auckland

PeterNZ
Kayak Model: Profish 400 Lite
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9865

Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:24 pm

I agree with FOM. I had a look at different trolleys. Disregarded the Wheeleez straight away because of the price. You can buy a cheap kayak for that sort of money. I am using a $50 trolley off trade. So far so ok-ish. Mainly used it on compacted sand. Even pulled the yak up the steps at Taipa Beach - no problems. If it breaks I can buy 7 more of them until I reach the money I would have spent for one Wheeleez. 8) The cheapo's main problem is the metal framing and the Wheeleez' looks the same. You basically buy a set of wheels for the $350 difference.

It is 2 1/2 times more expensive than a C-Tug. Is it also 2 1/2 times better?

Cheers

Peter

Flowrider
VHF Call Sign: Flowrider

Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:55 pm

In soft sand I would rate them more than 2 1/2 times better than a C-tug. Might as well just drag the kayak through the sand the c-tug standard wheels dig in that much. I have the small wheeleez wheels on a modified c-tug frame and don't even need to strap the kayak on most of the time it floats that well on the sand. Cost me around $70 each wheel from memory and I can still pack the whole lot in the front hatch of the Reload if I need to once broken down which takes only a minute.
Taranaki Kayak Fishing Classic http://kayakfishingclassic.org.nz/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Taranaki Kayak Fishing Club http://www.oskfc.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Viking Reload

FatherOfMany
Kayak Make: Old Town
Kayak Model: Predator XL Petrol
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9858

Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:54 pm

Flowrider wrote:In soft sand I would rate them more than 2 1/2 times better than a C-tug. Might as well just drag the kayak through the sand the c-tug standard wheels dig in that much. I have the small wheeleez wheels on a modified c-tug frame and don't even need to strap the kayak on most of the time it floats that well on the sand. Cost me around $70 each wheel from memory and I can still pack the whole lot in the front hatch of the Reload if I need to once broken down which takes only a minute.
Yep, I do think the balloon wheels are worth it. Try Waitawa Park at low tide... ankle-deep mud! or rocks/pebbles. It's just that the price of Wheeleez is crazy!
----------------------------------------------------
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13
OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #1, OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #2

PB: Snapper=66cm, J.D.=39cm, Gurnard=38cm

VHF Callsign: ZMW 9858

Kayak Fishing Auckland

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:04 pm

I saw a guy being pushed in a wheelchair on Takapuna beach last year with what looked like the large Wheeleez tyres :y:
Most cool, and they went back up through the soft sand as if it was on a concrete pavement.
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

Hainesy
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:06 pm

FatherOfMany wrote:
Flowrider wrote:In soft sand I would rate them more than 2 1/2 times better than a C-tug. Might as well just drag the kayak through the sand the c-tug standard wheels dig in that much. I have the small wheeleez wheels on a modified c-tug frame and don't even need to strap the kayak on most of the time it floats that well on the sand. Cost me around $70 each wheel from memory and I can still pack the whole lot in the front hatch of the Reload if I need to once broken down which takes only a minute.
Yep, I do think the balloon wheels are worth it. Try Waitawa Park at low tide... ankle-deep mud! or rocks/pebbles. It's just that the price of Wheeleez is crazy!
Agreed !...
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

Schecter
Kayak Model: Profish EVO IV
VHF Call Sign: ZMW8098

Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:53 am

FatherOfMany wrote:Apart from the price, my biggest concern with the Wheeleez is that those metal frame, at least the TradeMe versions, tend to close on you while loading a heavy kayak onto it. And when I say apart from the price, yes I do think Wheeleez are a ripoff and I hope they get some competition soon.

Snap 4T adjusted my ctug for me to fit balloon wheels and we brought some in from China. $150 per set all up if I remember correctly. That set wasn't UV resistant and I lost it in the Coromandel sun last summer, but the idea worked pretty well.
G1 wrote:I know what ya mean by digging into the sand... It drives me nuts... That looks a cool trolley, but like you say it is a bit pricey, maybe you could have bought 1 ctug and an extra set of wheels and run "DUALS" like those big ass tractors do :y: :lol:
With the balloon wheels busted by the sun and the ctug having a larger axle, I tried this idea and got 2 sets of wheels very similar to what you find on the TM steel frame trolleys. Worked better than a single set of wheels on some terrains, but definitely not good going over rocks where the softness of the balloon wheels are excellent.

Ended up bringing in another set of balloon wheels and I think they are UV resistant, though I'm not planning on finding out.
You're right about the metal frame. That was the first thing I noticed. The max load capacity is 80kg but I'm not keen to load anything near that capacity, considering the money I paid for it. The aluminium frame looks like it can be easily constructed in the garage or in a school metalwork classroom.

I'm assuming the majority of the cost attributed to the Wheeleez is the balloon wheels? There's plenty of mud and soft sand in Wattle Downs. I'll give it good test run over the weekend.
Viking Tempo
Viking Profish 440

PB: Snapper=79cm. Rogers Road, 26/10/14

PB: Gurnard=34cm. Orere Point, 17/06/15

PB: Kingfish=75cm. Omaio, 13/02/16

Manurewa Marlins RLFC. The Home of Joe Galuvao, Henry Fa'afili, Greg Eastwood, Daniel O'Regan, Jesse Bromwich,
Kenny Bromwich, Peter Hiku, Ligi Sao, Siliva Havili.

MikeAqua
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:49 pm

Schecter wrote:
I'm assuming the majority of the cost attributed to the Wheeleez is the balloon wheels? There's plenty of mud and soft sand in Wattle Downs. I'll give it good test run over the weekend.
Yep. An axle kit cost almost as much as the whole trolley.
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

MikeAqua
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:51 pm

Be great to see a few pictures if you don't mind posting.
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

Flowrider

Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:08 pm

MikeAqua wrote:
Be great to see a few pictures if you don't mind posting.
It is a bit of a rough job using some fibreglass rod as an axle in place of the original set up. It has lasted better than I thought it would so haven't bothered to upgrade it. The wheels are the type without bearings but still roll quite easily. Just a couple of trailer spring clips hold the wheels in place. I saw some basic instructions on the internet somewhere and followed those.
Attachments
20170110_195223.jpg
The final set up
20170110_195223.jpg (594.3 KiB) Viewed 2821 times
20170110_195240.jpg
20170110_195240.jpg (556.84 KiB) Viewed 2818 times
20170110_195258.jpg
20170110_195258.jpg (414.95 KiB) Viewed 2818 times
Taranaki Kayak Fishing Classic http://kayakfishingclassic.org.nz/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Taranaki Kayak Fishing Club http://www.oskfc.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Viking Reload

Flowrider

Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:15 pm

This is the site I followed http://www.newenglandkayakfishing.com/f ... fit.22139/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Viking Reload

kinghong1970
Kayak Model: Trident Ultra 4.3

Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:42 pm

hehehe

ya know, i have a build log here too!

• Information