Help!!!! Which Kayak???

In this section you will find reviews, of kayaks, accessories, fishing tackle, and more. All reviews are written by our members. If you have a favorite piece of equipment, write up a review and let others know what you think.
andreanz

Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:06 pm

hi, am hoping someone can point me in the right direction?? My 12yr old son has decided he enjoys kayaking, we brought him a cheap secondhand one. So, I would like to purchase my husband a kayak, with the view to accompanying my son, but also that he can take off and get some me time away from the kids and hopefully bring home the supper. So what I am looking for is a entry level fishing kayak I guess. I have seen alot of Viking and Ocean Kayaks on trade me, is this the way I should be going, or have read good reviews on the Perception. Would really appreciate any advise/tips anyone has to offer. Thank you all in advance, Andrea

Limitless
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish, Espri, 2+1
VHF Call Sign: Limitless

Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:48 pm

Hi Andrea,

Firstly, I work for Viking Kayaks but have considerable paddling history with a variety of brands.

Here are some thought's that might help:

1. purchasing a good quality kayak second hand is a great way to enter the sport. Modern plastics are such that provided the craft isn't visibly battered or faded it should be up to the task. The advantage with purchasing new is that you get a warranty (for Viking it's 30 years) and you're starting with an unmodified kayak (a blank canvas)

2. go with a NZ manufactured kayak if purchasing second hand. This generally ensures readily availability of spare parts (hatch lids, bungs, deck fittings, etc.). I'm constantly being asked for spares for imported kayaks that I can't supply, especially on craft that are no longer imported. Good brands to look at are Ocean Kayak, Phoenix, Cobra, Mission (were Perception), and of course Viking.

3. if purchasing new use the manufacturers Warranty as a guide to their confidence in their product and its suitability for our environment. IMHO with modern plastics it's reasonable to expect a minimum 10 year hull warranty, we offer a 30 year warranty.

If your husband is up to 110kg in weight, and taking the above into account I'd suggest looking at second hand Viking Profish models, Ocean Kayak Prowler models, Mission Catch models, or Cobra Marauder. The Perception Swing is also a good choice though the cockpit isn't as fishing friendly as the others.

Cheers,

Stephen Tapp
Viking Kayaks.
ZMS8574 LIMA INDIA MIKE INDIA TANGO LIMA ECHO SIERRA SIERRA - practised your phonetic alphabet yet?
The current fleet: Profish Reload, Profish GT, Profish 400 Lite
The historic fleet: too many to mention... the adventures since 1974 have seen lots of kayak carnage
Find me at Viking Kayaks in Matamata... you gotta love our sport!

andreanz

Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:48 pm

Hi Stephen, thanks so much for your informative answer, feel a bit more knowledgeable now, will be scanning trade me. appreciate your time and effort.

• Information