Paddle pants

In this section you will find reviews, of kayaks, accessories, fishing tackle, and more. All reviews are written by our members. If you have a favorite piece of equipment, write up a review and let others know what you think.
yak64
Kayak Make: Ocean kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: ZME2628

Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:09 am

I have an Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 and I find the seat gives me a bit of a wet ride. I was thinking of getting some paddle pants (I prefer shorts for summer) that were water proof to make fishing more comfortable instead of sitting in a puddle of water.

Has anyone tried the ones below of has other recommendations? Thanks for your comments.

Palm Horizon Kayak Shorts

http://www.canterburykayaking.co.nz/pro ... ak-shorts/

Hurley Burley
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Espri Angler

Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:48 pm

I'm fairly sure those aren't water proof. they have neoprene waist band for secure fit and are wind proof but no mention of water proof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yak64

Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:18 pm

Hurley Burley wrote:I'm fairly sure those aren't water proof. they have neoprene waist band for secure fit and are wind proof but no mention of water proof.

Thanks for your reply... I will have to look into it a bit more... any other suggestions?

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:37 pm

Full length paddle pants in the summer aren't all bad as they do keep the sun off your legs and dry too of course :y:

Any short is always going to have water running up your legs... I wear a pair of neoprene shorts pretty much all year round either under paddle pants or in the summer a pair of boardies, and if the sun is too much I wear a pair of compression leggings under everything too :y:
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

yak64

Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:30 am

Mental wrote:Full length paddle pants in the summer aren't all bad as they do keep the sun off your legs and dry too of course :y:

Any short is always going to have water running up your legs... I wear a pair of neoprene shorts pretty much all year round either under paddle pants or in the summer a pair of boardies, and if the sun is too much I wear a pair of compression leggings under everything too :y:
Thanks for the advice... re the full length paddle pants do you have ones you would recommend. One concern I had was in relation to falling out and the pants filling up with water... or is that not really a concern?

Cheers Bruce

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:38 am

yak64 wrote:
Mental wrote:Full length paddle pants in the summer aren't all bad as they do keep the sun off your legs and dry too of course :y:

Thanks for the advice... re the full length paddle pants do you have ones you would recommend. One concern I had was in relation to falling out and the pants filling up with water... or is that not really a concern?

Cheers Bruce
I've got pants from both NRS and YAK, both have a good waist band you can tighten up with velcro, the bottom of the legs too has a velcro fastening but neither are watertight. I have been in the water with my paddle pants on and you actually get the reverse the water pressure on the outside of the pants pushes then against your body so not easy to get the water in, and if you did it wouldn't be hard to lift your leg and loosen the bottoms so as you pull yourself up onto your kayak the water drains from the legs.
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

yak64

Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:46 am

Mental wrote:
yak64 wrote:

Cheers Bruce
I've got pants from both NRS and YAK, both have a good waist band you can tighten up with velcro, the bottom of the legs too has a velcro fastening but neither are watertight. I have been in the water with my paddle pants on and you actually get the reverse the water pressure on the outside of the pants pushes then against your body so not easy to get the water in, and if you did it wouldn't be hard to lift your leg and loosen the bottoms so as you pull yourself up onto your kayak the water drains from the legs.
That's great advice and very helpful.... Thanks

hermodo
Kayak Make: ocean kayak
Kayak Model: 4.1 ultra
VHF Call Sign: -

Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:42 pm

Hi Bruce , Haven't caught up for some time , but on the subject of paddle pants I'm wary of all the " flappy stuff "below the waist line, so I try to keep this all streamlined so I can swim easily .... no matter what ! I've cut down a dive wetsuit , got the zip fitted so I can empty out ,so to speak, and have a comfortable velcroed waist band. I wear hard soled dive boots with this set up, and a dive knife of course ! Kayaking is one of the few activities that allows you to wander about with a big kick arse knife strapped to your leg!

MikeAqua
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:50 pm

Mental wrote:
yak64 wrote:

Cheers Bruce
+1 for everything said here but in my case applied to Palm sidewinder dry pants. Bought in 2010. Love them. If I get hot in summer I just pour water onto them. In winter I wear polyprop underneath.
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

Kayak Adventures
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: To many models to name
VHF Call Sign: ZMS6165

Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:56 pm

Hi Bruce - another way to keep the cockpit area dry is the one way scupper valves. Lets water out but not in. Place under your seat and in the front by your feet. See here for more details:
http://www.kayakadventures.co.nz/24/7-S ... p/49885137" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cheers
Janet
All the best from the team

Find us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coromande ... 33?sk=wall

Stockists of the worlds best brands! Fishing Kayaks, Accessories, Watersport Clothing, Spearfishing Gear and Fishing Tackle

JohnnyR
Kayak Make: Prowler
Kayak Model: 13

Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:00 pm

Interesting idea. Do they fit the Prowler 13 also? It's not mentioned in the list of kayaks on your website.

lespresso
VHF Call Sign: N/a

Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:24 pm

Lovig. Every time.

Ocean Kayak Trident 15 (2017)

Kayak Adventures
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: To many models to name
VHF Call Sign: ZMS6165

Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:25 pm

Hi JohnnyR - the list is right - sorry the one way scupper valves do not fit the Prowler 13.
Cheers
Janet
All the best from the team

Find us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coromande ... 33?sk=wall

Stockists of the worlds best brands! Fishing Kayaks, Accessories, Watersport Clothing, Spearfishing Gear and Fishing Tackle

• Information