New jigging rod

In this section you will find reviews, of kayaks, accessories, fishing tackle, and more. All reviews are written by our members. If you have a favorite piece of equipment, write up a review and let others know what you think.
Peace
Kayak Make: Barracuda
Kayak Model: SOT Fishing Pro
VHF Call Sign: ZMW5048

Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:10 pm

Was invited away for a weekend of fishing in the Mecca that is northland more specifically Whananaki.
Knowing that I managed to snap the tip off one of my spinning rods during the summer break due to a kingfish strike and the other was in the getting a minor alteration done I was in need of a new spinning rod. I called in at Top Catch for supplies and asked about a spin rod option for the kayak and was shown an Abu Garcia Salty Stage KR-X150g light jigging rod.
first thing I noticed about this was the power that comes from this very light rod (128 Grams) paired with my CI4 4000 the whole thing felt balanced in the hand and casting was dead straight much like using my bait caster. The top half has tiny eyelets so a good FG knot is a good idea.
You can see the X of the carbon weave and seeing JDM rods with a similar technology at a much greater price I decided to purchase it and give it a go.
It did not disappoint in trying conditions 3.3M swells and scorching sunshine catching ‘terra firma’ sitting in the rod holder bending right over did send a chill down my back but it bounced back none the worse.
The other feature that is worth a mention is the shaved bottom grip making a very nice handle when jigging one handed.

• Information