Prowler Ultra 4.7 versus Viking Reload

In this section you will find reviews, of kayaks, accessories, fishing tackle, and more. All reviews are written by our members. If you have a favorite piece of equipment, write up a review and let others know what you think.
Sealegs
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra 4.7

Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:21 pm

I have read some of the previous reviews, especially of the Reload. I am interested in changing from the 4.7 to the Reload mainly because of how it stows upside down on the roof - I have tried J Bars, cradles, foam pads etc. My preference is to stow upside down, but the 4.7 is a bit of a hassle as I need inserts to keep the centre hatch clear of the bars. It looks like the Reload will be better for this.

My main questions are:

Is the Reload noticeably lighter and easier to load?
How does it compare in performance, both flat water and choppy?
How does it compare in dryness (I am about 90 kg)?

I expect only those who have made the change will be able to answer this. I also have a Prowler Ultra 4.3 but keep that more for my son. I will also have a test paddle first but just trying to get others thoughts.

Thanks for any answers you can give.

Cheers, Dene

yak64
Kayak Make: Ocean kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: ZME2628

Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:46 am

Hi Dene
I am interested in changing from the 4.7 to the Reload mainly because of how it stows upside down on the roof - I have tried J Bars, cradles, foam pads etc. My preference is to stow upside down, but the 4.7 is a bit of a hassle as I need inserts to keep the centre hatch clear of the bars.
I can't comment on a comparison of the 2 kayaks but i have an ultra 4.3. If ability to transport upside-down is your main reason for a change... have you considered purchasing an assassin tackle pod for the 4.7? This has to be the best upgrade i have done on my 4.3 and as it is easily removable, it would mean you would not have a problem transporting upside down. And have all the great features of the tackle pod!

Cheers Bruce

MadMike
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak, Stealth
Kayak Model: Ultra 4.7, Stealth EVO 495

Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:09 am

Or even the light weight lid which removes the 1 inch high lid for a much lower one. or are you able to spread your racks further apart?
Face book : http://www.facebook.com/TopCatchWhangarei" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Http://www.northlandangler.co.nz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stockist of, Ocean Kayaks, Old Town Kayaks, Phoenix Kayaks , Humminbird, Scotty, Rob Fort ACC and much much more!

Sealegs

Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:42 am

Thanks guys. I will look into the tackle pod (I see it mentioned now on this Forum - should keep up to date with these things). Can't spread the roof racks any differently. The 4.7 is a bit of a heavyweight beast and one of my other concerns is that it isn't the easiest to lift up, especially by yourself after a long day on the water. Hence, another reason to change. A removable tackle pod will help a bit there, especially as I love the 4.7 once in the water, even over the 4.3.

Cheers, Dene

yak64
Kayak Make: Ocean kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: ZME2628

Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:45 am

Well worth a look. .. The lid on the tacklpod means you dont get water..blood etc in your stored gear as you do in the original setup. I have my ff attached to it and keep the battery in it too...huge amount of room. Can also have everything ready and just drop it in the kayak. Same size pod for the 4.3 and 4.7. Excellent build quality and design. Ypu also get the scupper cover. Purhase at rob forts...sounds like I get a commission. ..I dont! Cheers

Sealegs

Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:31 am

Thanks guys. Convinced. Just have to convince one other, but I think this may be an easier sell than a new kayak. I got the 4.7 when they first came out, with bent centre hatches. JOW swapped that for me in due course, but it has never been 100% watertight. And yes, when you open them, they are hard to drain and when you rotate them you have to clear water from the top recesses first. All in all, a rushed and bad design I think. My only thought is that I have the rod storage holder installed in the cockpit and this may no longer be accessible. I have found it quite useful at times.

Cheers, Dene

Sealegs

Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:52 pm

Back to square one. Rob Fort has eight pods, but doesn't want to sell any because he wants to use them as packages with new kayaks. They are otherwise out of production. Rob will do a good deal on a lightweight lid, but that leaves me with lots of transducer cable I would need to sort out, plus a non-rotating lid. So back to square one. Either a Viking or see how long it takes to remove the current lid each time I lift the yak to the roof. Anyone got any more ideas?

Dene

Hainesy
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:26 pm

I've got a pod (Ute Box) for a 4.3 / 4.7 that I no longer need as I've sold my 4.3...

They work extremely well....

http://www.kayakfishingnz.com/forum/vie ... ox#p205427" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If your're interested drop me a PM..
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

Hainesy
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:05 pm

Hainesy wrote:I've got a pod (Ute Box) for a 4.3 / 4.7 that I no longer need as I've sold my 4.3...

They work extremely well....

http://www.kayakfishingnz.com/forum/vie ... ox#p205427" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If your're interested drop me a PM..

Sold pending payment..... :y: :y:
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

Sealegs

Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:00 pm

Gotta be quick apparently. Thanks - let me know if payment doesn't arrive.

Cheers Dene

• Information