Review - Rob Fort Lure Straps

In this section you will find reviews, of kayaks, accessories, fishing tackle, and more. All reviews are written by our members. If you have a favorite piece of equipment, write up a review and let others know what you think.
Hainesy
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Sun May 31, 2015 1:28 pm

Over the past season of so, I've started doing a bit of jigging for Kingfish, and occasionally tow the off bibbed lure around...

One of the biggest frustrations that I have with jigging is how to stow the lure without it swinging around and bashing into your rod, or your head if its behind you.....the other issue is getting the hook snagged in your PFD or jacket as you reach around behind you when grabbing the rod.

I've tried all manner of fixes including little electrical cable velcro straps and rubber bands, but nothing ever seemed robust enough, lasted long enough, was able to be tighten enough, or simply work !!

Heres a pic that is probably a good representation of how many of us "stow" our jigs !!.. if you look closely you can see a few chips on the rod where the jig has smacked into it !!
P1010538.JPG
So when I was at the recent Auck Boat Show, I happened to come across some of Rob Forts new lure straps. Coming in two different lengths, Rob has designed these specifically for securing jigs and lures to rods....exactly what I was looking for...

With a set of each in hand, I decided to take them out for a trial this weekend....

When you take a close look at them, they're a pretty simple, yet effective design...

First up, they actually wrap around and then secure tightly to the rod with velcro, so this is independent of having a single piece of velcro that wraps around the jig/lure and the rod all in one hit...as I had found you simply cant get everything secure / tight enough
P1010536.JPG
You then simply place the lure against the strap, and take another wrap around everything and hey presto, everything is securely fastened !
As I said, simple in design but it works !!
P1010535.JPG
A couple of things that I found...bear in mind hey were trialed on an overhead jigging set up..... The other premise is that once you fit it on, you dont want to keep removing it everytime you use the rod !

The instruction say to mount it below the rod seat, so I decided to mount it above just to see what would happen......!!
The first thing is that under load, the bend in the rod can cause your line to touch the strap...not a good idea !
The second thing is that if mounted above, you have to be careful that your jig doesnt slide down a little and touch your spool of line causing damage to the line...also not good !

When you mount below, you just need to make sure that the strap is in a position that it doesn't interfere with your rod hand..

I didnt get a chance to use it with a bibbed lure, but I'm sure it would work exactly the same way !

All in all, a good idea that seems to work !!

(Finally, sorry for then sideways pics....a bit of a tech issue that I cant seem to resolve !..Must be in the camera settings ! )
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

fritter
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400 Lite
VHF Call Sign: ZMW4166

Sun May 31, 2015 1:58 pm

Cheers for that Hainesy. Good idea all right.

I notice you've got the same jigging set as me. Full agricultural quality reel eh. Trouble is mine hasn't caught anything. Yet.

YakFisho Snapps
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 495,BFS..
VHF Call Sign: Yakfisho Snapps

Sun May 31, 2015 5:53 pm

Yes they sure are a very nice product to have when carrying lures easy as to keep them attached to the rods keeps them from smashing around the place scratching rods and reels :y:...

sk8e8
Kayak Make: Profish
Kayak Model: 400

Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:00 pm

Looks nice. I always tucked my jigs down into the rod holder alongside the rod
Jigheads Paddling and Fishing Team Member
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Yamaha FXHO
Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420

• Information