YAK Adventure Jacket Review

In this section you will find reviews, of kayaks, accessories, fishing tackle, and more. All reviews are written by our members. If you have a favorite piece of equipment, write up a review and let others know what you think.
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:59 pm

Well, after a fair amount of use my XtraSport paddle jacket started to look worse for wear and I decided to replace it.

Unlike 2-3 years ago there seems to be a lot more choice available, so after having previously buying a YAK Xipe PFD and liking the quality and suitability, I decided to get a new YAK Adventure Paddle Jacket.
yak-adventure-9368-p[ekm]257x390[ekm].jpg (13.29 KiB) Viewed 1736 times
Now the first thing that impressed me was the "weight" of the material...Now I dont mean that it was heavy, but it felt "robust" and built for purpose.

A couple of things I didnt like about my previous jacket seemed to have been well addressed by YAK..

Its "long" in the back and the neoprene waist band and very robust velcro waist band adjustment means it doesnt "ride up" . :y:
The wrists again have good velcro adjustment on them unlike the previous jacket that just relied on "velcro dots". There was some thought that the lack of neoprene seal on the wrist might allow water to run down my arms when paddling but the wrist adjustments seal well against my paddling gloves so no problems there ! :y:
The neck has a zipper so you can open it up for better airflow or zip it up when you're likely to get a face full of water :y:
I quite like the high collar but then again I've only worn it in "cold weather" and it does protect you against the wind even if you wear a buff and cap.
The collar also contains a "roll away" hood....at this point I really havent had a need to use the hood, but I imagine that it will be quite useful if you're ever caught out in a rain storm !!... The only gripe I have with the hood is that because its "rolled away" into the collar, if you ever wash / rinse the jacket you really need to unroll it to ensure that it dries properly.
The front of the jacket does have a pocket, but as I wear a PFD over the top of it, its of no real benefit to me.
The elbow area is also "cut / manufactured" to allow greater flexibility when you're paddling, but as I tend to get a jacket a bit larger than I need this has never been an issue for me.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with the product and would comfortably recommend if you're in the market for a new jacket !
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

Big k
Kayak Make: Vicking /Stealth / OK
Kayak Model: 440. / 4.7 / 495
VHF Call Sign: ZMU 3384

Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:56 am

Next thing you will be lurking around with the models :rofl: :rofl:

Viking 440
OK 4.7 ultra arrived
Stealth EVO 495 gone
Stealth Carbon Kevlar 495 arrived

Legasea supporter

Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: profish 400 & 440
VHF Call Sign: zmw6010

Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:29 am

Big k wrote:Next thing you will be lurking around with the models :rofl: :rofl:

Don't give him any ideas :rofl:
The secret of life is to have a great sense of humour, and a wicked dirty mind! ;-)

Profish440 MiniyakII
Profish 400 Miniyak
Profish400 Springbokkie

PBs still to come ..... Hopefully

Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:47 am

jacket looks good. thanks for the review.

• Information