Viking or Ocean Kayak

In this section you will find reviews, of kayaks, accessories, fishing tackle, and more. All reviews are written by our members. If you have a favorite piece of equipment, write up a review and let others know what you think.
ninjanelly
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish

Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:55 pm

I am looking at upgrading my old Viking fisherman for a newer model and am looking at either the Viking profish 440 or reload or ocean Kayaks prowlers.

Any suggestions, pros / cons for any of these kayaks

used for fishing and also freediving/spearfishing

thanks in advance

Ryan

WaterHornet
Kayak Make: OK
Kayak Model: Trident 4.3

Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:01 pm

I own a prowler 4.3 and they are kinda heavy. Especially when equipped with everything. BUT that being said it's a very nimble on the water. Fastest kayak out there also very stable. Can rock it back and forth (with practice) without tipping :y:

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:03 pm

People like all of those for lots of different reasons, best advice is to take them all for a test paddle and see which one suits you, your budget, and your style of fishing best. :y: I
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

Hawk
Kayak Make: Pinnacle
Kayak Model: Elite
VHF Call Sign: Hawk ZMU3995

Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:38 pm

If you're talking that sort of budget, have you considered a Pinnacle Elite? Kerry's success would show that they're totally fit for your purpose!
Get hold of Jason (Muntid) for exact pricing, but think they're around the $3k mark... which includes central fish storage, which would be extra on the models you were thinking of.

AndrewRawlingson

Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:20 pm

I have an Ultra 4.3, it is very stable, not sure about fast though.

OK versus Viking? I don't think there is much in it, both are very good fishing kayaks. It comes down to added features. The Reload system looks brilliant, but the upgraded seat on the Ultra 4.3 is the only kayak seat I've ever been able to tolerate for more than a couple of hours.

If I was to get a new kayak, I'd look at something like a surf ski or to go completely off topic, a Hobie Adventure.

Badassfisher
Kayak Make: Ocean kayak
Kayak Model: 4.3
VHF Call Sign: Badass

Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:37 pm

Mental wrote:People like all of those for lots of different reasons, best advice is to take them all for a test paddle and see which one suits you, your budget, and your style of fishing best. :y: I
I agree with mental :whew:

Whitenero
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra 4.1

Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:06 pm

I was in the same position a few months back and as the other guys have stated, a sea trial would be best if you have the option. As i live in Nelson and i am unaware of any retailers who offer this service i spent a lot of time trawling the net for reviews and advice.

I originally had my heart set on a viking pf400 as i liked the fact that you could choose the colour (yes I’m superficial 8) and it looked like it had a lot of good options for modification but after a long hard think and with budget being a factor at the time, i went with the OK Prowler 4.1 mainly because the gap between the 4.1 and 4.3 wasn't that much but there was quite a big difference in price at the time.

I would have gone with the 4.3 if i had more money at the time, but i had only just got back from a long overseas trip so was a little strapped for cash at the time.

The reason i didn't go for the Viking was because of the small 6inch hatch at the front. The Viking reload model has a decent front hatch but you pay through the nose for the extra features, but hey if moneys not a problem then it looks like a pretty sweet kayak.

After having a good think about what i might want the kayak for i decided i wanted a bit of internal space and didn't want to be constrained by the size of the porthole. A lot of people have found ways around this and will argue the toss so my best advice would be as per the other's comments above.

*A sea trial would be of great use.
*Failing that reading as much as you can about each and comparing them against your requirements.
*Lastly i would suggest being realistic about what you plan to do with it. If you’re used to doing longer trips off shore then go for a longer faster model but if you just want to go out with a few rods and be nimble then you can’t go wrong with a 4.1 - 4.5 metre yak.

I don’t think you can really make a bad decision with both these brands.

Overall I’m very happy for now with my OK 4.1. I do plan on getting another kayak in the future but i think i will go for something completely different, maybe a hobie or something else just to have two different styles/options.
Whitenero
PB's: Red Cod 43cm
https://www.facebook.com/NelsonSpearfishing / https://www.youtube.com/user/tunstallgeo/videos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.1 (Mango Flame)

Whitenero
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra 4.1

Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:16 pm

Oh and regarding the diving aspect,

I did a dive off my OK Prowler 4.1 last month in full free dive gear with my other dive buddy on board. Im 80kg and he's about 70kg so add that to about 16kgs of lead between us and we were just about maxing out the kayaks buoyancy. Although were a little low in the water we managed it slowly out to the spot although balance was definitely an issue.

I can definitely say that there not suitable for two people as a dive platform if you going any sort of a distance but we did a small 500metre paddle out to the spot and worked fine for us.

As a solo mission these things are awesome dive platforms and great if you want to hang around open water pinnacles and then paddle home with you catch.
Whitenero
PB's: Red Cod 43cm
https://www.facebook.com/NelsonSpearfishing / https://www.youtube.com/user/tunstallgeo/videos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.1 (Mango Flame)

• Information