YAK Xipe PFD

In this section you will find reviews, of kayaks, accessories, fishing tackle, and more. All reviews are written by our members. If you have a favorite piece of equipment, write up a review and let others know what you think.
Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:19 pm

The Xipe from YAK is a new PFD that has been introduced to NZ by the Survitec Group it’s a kayak PFD (personal flotation device) and packs the all the features a kayaker or kayak angler would require.

It retails for $199 which I believe makes it an attractively priced PFD considering all the features it packs which are missing from many similarly priced PFDs on the market today.

Design and Features

The Xipe is a front opening PFD with a heavy duty oversized plastic zip down the center of the PFD, on each side of the zip there are pockets that are accessed by vertical zips, both of these pockets are suitable for keeping a small handheld VHF, PLB, small tackle box, muesli bars, braid scissors etc. The right hand pocket also has a second small net pouch. Both pockets feature easy grab rudder zip pulls making the pockets easy to open even with cold wet hands.

There is a third pocket on the rear of the PFD, this is designed to hold a water hydration pack complete with a rubber exit for the drinking tube, the pocket is neoprene to enable it to easily expand.

As I said the front of the PFD fastens with a zip but that only one of the three fastening system it has, there is an inner middle webbing strap that is secured using a buckle, there is also a webbing strap on the bottom of the PFD, this bottom webbing is also rubber coated on the inside to stop the PFD riding up on you.

The PFD is adjusted to fit at four points, one on each shoulder and one on each side of your waist. The shoulder straps have clever little covers on them so that any excess webbing you have from adjusting the straps is tucked away and not flapping in the wind.

The materials used are of a very high quality as is the finish, there is a lot of attention to detail all

over the PFD with lots of little pieces that show there was a high level of design work done before it went into manufacture. Safety as you’d expect has also been thought about and there is reflective piping on the PFD which will catch the light and make you more visible to other craft when fishing dawn and dusk, unfortunately there isn’t a safety whistle included with Xipe.

In Use

I’ve been using the Xipe for around 4 months now, during that time I’ve used it for several short fishing sessions and a whole weekend at a kayak fishing competition. Over that period if has proved itself to be very comfortable and has worked perfectly for kayak fishing.

It’s not a huge PFD and it sits nice and high on the body with no restriction on any paddle strokes, it does have a very fitted feel, I did find the sizing to be on the smaller side so I’d recommend trying it on to find your size before buying.

After only four months of use it’s difficult to comment on the long term durability of the Xipe, however so far there are no signs of wear, no issues with corrosion zips either especially as I’m far from easy on my gear and it often doesn’t see more that a quick blast with the hose after a trip.

Conclusion

I have to admit I had my doubts about the Xipe as I’m used to using something bigger and with more pockets but I have to say I’m really impressed with the Xipe and now it’s all I use! It’s the attention to detail that I like, two decent sized pockets on the front, easy adjustment on and off the water, and quality materials. The Xipe a solid kayak fishing PFD.
Attachments
IMG_0027.JPG
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

Nakian
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMU 6728

Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:19 am

thanks for the timely review mental, I've been thinking about a new pfd and that one in particular.
Obviously it really helps your fishing action....

MM has a sale price on them I think, saw a note about it the last day or two. :y:

Hainesy
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:26 am

I've just got one, and the only thing I can add is that the sizing is definitely on the small side !!
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

MikeAqua
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:11 am

Thanks for the review Mental.

How did you find the VHF pocket? Do you think it would take a voyager or similarly compact VHF in a dry bag?
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

Mental
Site Admin

Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:56 am

It's not huge by any means but yes my Uniden Voyager fits in there ok but I don't bag mine so I suppose it'll depend on how bulky the bag is etc...
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465

MikeAqua
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:46 pm

ta
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

Ikwezinz
Kayak Make: Cobra
Kayak Model: Marauder

Tue May 27, 2014 9:45 pm

Hainesy wrote:I've just got one, and the only thing I can add is that the sizing is definitely on the small side !!
Hainesy, what size did you get vs what you have before?

Profish 440

Hainesy
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Tue May 27, 2014 9:53 pm

Ikwezinz wrote:
Hainesy wrote:I've just got one, and the only thing I can add is that the sizing is definitely on the small side !!
Hainesy, what size did you get vs what you have before ?
My old PFD was an ExtraSport in Med /Large...

I got the Large Xipe and it was far too small, so ended up with the XL....

Based on what I've heard / discussed, I'd say they're a full sizing out
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

Ikwezinz

Tue May 27, 2014 10:04 pm

Thanks, seems XL is the biggest size they have ?

Profish 440

Mental
Site Admin

Tue May 27, 2014 10:06 pm

Yes XL is the largest and yes they are also on the small size, always order one size larger that you'd normally wear :y:
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465

STRAY DOG
Kayak Make: OCEAN KAYAK,viking
Kayak Model: PROWLER4.3,4.1 ,pro fish 440
VHF Call Sign: stray dog

Tue May 27, 2014 10:10 pm

Thier whole range of products seems to be small on their sizing but have yet to have a fault or issue with their products and have been thrashing some in the white water too :y: :y: :tmi:

Ikwezinz

Tue May 27, 2014 10:19 pm

Thanks all, I am a chest size of 115cms, anyone a similar size using the XL?

Profish 440

lloyd
Kayak Make: ocean kayak
Kayak Model: tetra

Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:18 pm

Yeah, I'd agree with much of the comments here. I got one mid summer last year, it's a decent well designed piece of kit, but sizing is shockingly small, particularly if I fit an hydration pack in the back.

• Information