Wavewalk W500

In this section you will find reviews, of kayaks, accessories, fishing tackle, and more. All reviews are written by our members. If you have a favorite piece of equipment, write up a review and let others know what you think.
Jeff666
Kayak Make: Ocean kayak
Kayak Model: Trident 4.3

Tue May 21, 2013 12:02 pm

Mental wrote:Here you go BigDave >

You can mount a tv on the front and put the satalite dish on the back. :lol:
Old Town Predator 13
On the way The Old Town Predator PDL

BigDave
Kayak Make: Wavewalk
Kayak Model: W500
VHF Call Sign: zmw5526

Tue May 21, 2013 12:37 pm

Already tried the roll mat, laminated 3 layers of camping bed roll together, although looked cool, was very much mistaken about comfort. Have also bought a blue Viking double thickness blue seat, which I take out but never end up sitting on.
WaveWalk W500
ZMW5526
Yak PB's: Snapper 44cm @ Howick. JD 36cm Sullivans.

Oh, and remember to radio me if you find yourself in a workup.

Jeff the wave walker
VHF Call Sign: zmw9750

Tue May 21, 2013 4:36 pm

I was given my boat to trial for 3 weeks in Feb, I still have it. Just cant keep off it. I try to go out twice a week when I can.
Bit nervous about rocky beach landings though, my old kayak had a solid keel so could be dragged quite safely. i make sure i take my wheels everywhere now. made them up from an old childs offroad buggy i got for $15 at recycle centre. works really well. For a seat i use the middle seat out of a short wheel base land rover. I have a piece of timber secured across the bottom to sit in the grooves, doesnt move.
When it comes to fishing I set a low standard and fail to achieve it, makes life easier.
ZMW9750

MikeAqua
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Tue May 21, 2013 4:47 pm

Land rover seat, fantastic, and somehow appropriate.
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

sk8e8
Kayak Make: Profish
Kayak Model: 400

Tue May 21, 2013 5:05 pm

How does it go in higher winds? Looks awesome for flat days (standing and sight-casting etc), but how it handles when the wind picks up would be my biggest concern
Jigheads Paddling and Fishing Team Member
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Yamaha FXHO
Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420

BigDave

Tue May 21, 2013 5:32 pm

I find in the winds it likes to sit side on, either side, but definately side on. i prefer side on to waves too, never had an issue, you just roll with them.
WaveWalk W500
ZMW5526

lenzman
Kayak Model: Reload

Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:37 am

Serious question...... is this classed as a kayak or a boat.... it's a cat... :?: I have seen Big Daves he came up to the last NKFCI meet ... good to meet you Dave.
If I'm not fishing I'm taking photographs, if I'm not taking photographs I'm fishing!!

lenzman
Kayak Model: Reload

Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:46 am

lenzman wrote:Serious question...... is this classed as a kayak or a boat.... it's a cat... :?: I have seen Big Daves he came up to the last NKFCI meet ... good to meet you Dave.
Ok Ive answered my own question, from Wkipedia:
A kayak is a small, relatively narrow, human-powered boat primarily designed to be manually propelled by means of a double bladed paddle. The traditional kayak has a covered deck and one or more cockpits, each seating one paddler. Their cockpit is sometimes covered by a spraydeck (or "skirt") that prevents the entry of water from waves or spray and makes it possible for suitably skilled kayakers, to roll the kayak: that is, to capsize and right it without it filling with water or ejecting the paddler.
Man sitting with legs covered in boat that tapers to a point at each end holding long, pointed, wooden pole
Inuit seal hunter in a kayak, armed with a harpoon

Some modern boats vary considerably from a traditional design but still claim the title 'kayak', for instance in eliminating the cockpit by seating the paddler on top of the boat ("sit-on-top" kayaks); having inflated air chambers surrounding the boat; replacing the single hull by twin hulls ("W" kayak), and replacing paddles with other human powered propulsion methods, such as foot-powered rotational propellers and 'flippers'. Kayaks are also being sailed, as well as propelled by means of small electric motors, and even by outboard gas engines, when possible.
If I'm not fishing I'm taking photographs, if I'm not taking photographs I'm fishing!!

BigDave

Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:22 pm

Yep. They call it a w boat. As in by the company that makes them, not Wikipedia. They go on to say it's generally classed as a kayak, although it can be rigged for a lot more activities.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
WaveWalk W500
ZMW5526

ralph57

Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:11 pm

Was wondering what comments people have about the Wavewalk 500 now that they have been around for awhile.

• Information